cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Sim Card Purchase

taylor7787
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently decided to make the move from telus to public mobile. 

I had my wife go to our local walmart to buy 2 sim cards so I could sign both of us up. I was on the phone with her and told her exactly what we needed. I heard her tell the walmart worker that she needed 2 public mobile sim cards and that was all, the Walmart employee tried for a couple of minutes to get her not to purchase the public mobile sim but rather purchase a cell phone plan through walmart wireless. He tried telling here that public did not offer any customer support at all, he said the sim is non refundable, he said walmart wireless has much cheaper plans with better coverage. When it came down to it she put me on speaker and i told the walmart employee that we wanted the two sim cards and that was it. Finally he allowed her to purchase the cards but for anyone out there do not let walmart change your mind on starting with public

Been with public for just about 2 weeks now and couldnt be happier.

41 REPLIES 41

s2scotty
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Dual-SIM devices are very popular in parts of Asia and parts of Europe, where wireless competition is very fierce and wireless technology is somewhat ahead of ours (in practical terms).  There's no technical or legal or regulatory reason why one multi-SIM handset cannot be shared across different Big Three networks in Canada but it's just not done and they seem to actively oppose it.

WRT "actively oppose it..." It is worse than dual sim and dual standby vs active.

The GSM protocols and device chipsets (modems) allow for two (2) active same-carrier telephone numbers on the one SIM. Latest protocol versions I believe allow four (4) active same carrier numbers. However, no carrier allows activations in these configurations.

Furthermore, neither the apple nor android UI (dialer app) yet supports it (ASFAIK).

So, sigh, two active numbers means high-end phone $$$$$ or two physical phones.

/S

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Korth most relatively recent dual-SIM phones are dual standby.  You can have talk and text active on both SIM slots simultaneously, but can only select one card active at a time for data.  The main drawback is that while on a call on SIM A, SIM B is basically suspended.  Any incoming calls on SIM B will go right to your voicemail, and if SIM B is set as your active data SIM--and you are not connected to a WiFi network--you will not have any data until your call on SIM A ends.  (A and B could be either SIM.).  I don't believe many models are crippled or locked down to specific providers any more, that's more of a legacy thing where the second SIM might only be able to do 2G or 3G.  

There are some phones that are dual active, as you mentioned, which have none of the restrictions I mentioned above.  So if you're on a call on SIM A and call comes in on B, you can put A on hold to answer B just like you could with call waiting in a single-SIM scenario.  I'm not sure how it would work for data though--I'd suspect you'd still need to set one or the other active at a time, but I've never had a dual-active phone so I can't confirm.  (I'm now on my second dual-standby phone, first a OnePlus 3 and now OnePlus 5T).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@anniemh2220wrote:

I had trouble with my replacement sim card from Walmart that I had to purchase after I biugbomy new phone.

The new phone takes the micro SD card so I bought a new one and it wouldn't work at all ..it didn't tell me that it was an inactive card it just wouldn't work in the 2nd slot of my new phone. My phone has dual sim cards. I only use 1 though..

I wanted to return it because I kept my receipt, but I ended up losing the Sim! 

I've learned most dual-SIM phones in North America have limited functionality in the secondary SIM slot.  In short, the primary SIM slot is fully functional (and has full wireless connectivity) but the other is "locked" or crippled (and has limited wireless connectivity, sometimes capable of only 3G or even 2G).  Some of these dual-SIM devices are permanently hardwired, others have been firmware-limited and can often be "fixed" by installing proper/modded firmware components (admittedly, many of these wares are intended for Chinese markets and exclusively run Chinese softwares).

Consumers wanting two cellular services - two phone numbers, two data streams, etc - on one device should buy "Dual-Active SIM" phones.  The secondary SIM in any other kind of Dual-SIM phone is hit or miss.

Dual-SIM devices are very popular in parts of Asia and parts of Europe, where wireless competition is very fierce and wireless technology is somewhat ahead of ours (in practical terms).  There's no technical or legal or regulatory reason why one multi-SIM handset cannot be shared across different Big Three networks in Canada but it's just not done and they seem to actively oppose it.

@anniemh2220

You probably can't return your SIM card.  But if it's never been activated then it's good "forever", while if it has been activated then it'll expire after 90 days of non-use.  You might find it better to return (and replace) your new dual-SIM phone instead.

@anniemh2220wrote:

I had trouble with my replacement sim card from Walmart that I had to purchase after I biugbomy new phone.

The new phone takes the micro SD card so I bought a new one and it wouldn't work at all ..it didn't tell me that it was an inactive card it just wouldn't work in the 2nd slot of my new phone. My phone has dual sim cards. I only use 1 though..

Sorry, but they're not going to give you a refund on a sim card.  Some phones only allow a 3g connection (required for Public Mobile vocie service) in the first sim card slot of a dual sim card phone.

anniemh2220

@Civic_Ewrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@Tasos1, according to a post by moderator shazia_k in this post  (at 02-21-2018 - 4:47pm), they are not supposed to force you to activate in store.

I think Walmart employees get commission if they can sign you up or may be they can apply some kind of general activation charge(for helping you).

I would not be the least bit surprised if that were the case, although if they were paid, it would not be coming from the customer.  In the spirit of monopoly competition, harmonizing costs with the competition is all important.  I think the days of experimenting with this disruptive service is nearing an end. 

@Double_Jwrote:

The Walmart guy told me Public Mobile was the best bang for my buck considering what I needed.

Walmart also has a special package with 1GB of internet, province wide calling, international text, call display and voicemail for $30.

Still upset I had to pay $10 for a SIM card, when we are becoming customers.

@Double_J If you don't mind the effort, would you please login to your account and look at the exact plan registered there. The plan you describe does not seem to be offered? Is your plan actually 90 days 1.5 GB 3G data, province wide calling, international text, call display and voicemail; all for $90?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mimmo

@Double_J  what providers provide you with free sims?  from what i recal several companies even charge activation fees and their sim cards are $15. 

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

@astryl, Hello! Sorry for any trouble with your SIM Card. For further assistance, can you please send us a private message along with the SIM Card# and the full name that should be on the account Link: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437  . Thank you! 

Double_J

The Walmart guy told me Public Mobile was the best bang for my buck considering what I needed.

Walmart also has a special package with 1GB of internet, province wide calling, international text, call display and voicemail for $30.

Still upset I had to pay $10 for a SIM card, when we are becoming customers.

astryl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hi,

did you have any issue activating the sims?  I just bought one and it says the sim is inactive.

Civic_E
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Anonymouswrote:

@Tasos1, according to a post by moderator shazia_k in this post  (at 02-21-2018 - 4:47pm), they are not supposed to force you to activate in store.

I think Walmart employees get commission if they can sign you up or may be they can apply some kind of general activation charge(for helping you).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tasos1

Today i want to purchase a simcard at walmart. The kid behind the corner refused to sell me one unless i activated it and chose a plan on the spot for him to set up. I questioned him about it as i have never had this happen in the past. He stated that it is walmart policy to not sell unactivated sim cards.

I do not believe this to be the case as he could not come up with the excuse immediately when asked

Is he correct or just looking for kickback (if pm does kickback for in store activation and signup.

The manufacturer uses a common hardware platform - same mainboard PCB, same plastic chassis, same "spots" to solder on and screw in the same (or similar) components.  It keeps costs down, reuses and builds upon "modules" they've already designed, and lets them produce a family of similar models with differing capabilities.  While minimizing retooling and minimizing firmware/software development and maximizing compatibility with other hardware modules/accessories.

So it's common to see "empty" or "placeholder" spots on circuit boards, and sometimes the manufacturer repurposes them towards other things (especially on small, limited, and technologically dense devices like smartphones).

Dual-SIM devices have a tiny niche with low demand in places like Canada.  They're far more viable (and far more common) in places like China.  Well over 99% of Canadians are going to subscribe to a single provider and only need (only use) a single SIM, so the manufacturer might as well put something else (like MicroSD) into the other slot to make the model more compelling to Canadian consumers on the Canadian market.  And we all know Walmart is a monopsonistic powerhouse, they are basically a customer with so much buying power that they specify the standards and control the prices, they'll buy from whichever company can fill their (large ongoing) orders with the best and the cheapest products.

srlawren

Card slot configurations:

- Single SIM, no micro SD card 

- Single SIM, micro SD card 

- Dual SIM, no micro SD card

- Dual SIM where the second slot is a "hybrid"--can either hold a SIM, OR a Micro SD card

- Dual SIM plus dedicated micro SD card slot

This last one is quite rare.  Most Dual SIM are either no SD or hybrid SD configurations.

It gets even slightly muddier too with how many SIM slots can be active at once, with Dual Active (best but least common), Dual Standby, and errrr, mabye that's it?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

wrote:

@jgrose1 & @Anonymous & @srlawren

Many phones will have 2 slots, the first slot always being a SIM, the second slot can be used for a SIM or for expandable memory card

If the phone has 3 slots, then slot 2 & 3 will never be used at same time (so if memory inserted then only single SIM, if dual SIM in use then it will not work with external memory)

That to me seems like a waste of a good slot 😞  Why would a manufacturer do that?

@jgrose1 & @Anonymous & @srlawren

Many phones will have 2 slots, the first slot always being a SIM, the second slot can be used for a SIM or for expandable memory card

If the phone has 3 slots, then slot 2 & 3 will never be used at same time (so if memory inserted then only single SIM, if dual SIM in use then it will not work with external memory)

srlawren

@jgrose1 as @Anonymous noted, some phone are dual-SIM.  In the past, dual SIM models were rare in North America but common in Asia and Europe.  Dual SIM is starting to be found on this side of the pond now too. Less so in "top tier" brands like Apple and Samsung, but many China-based brands like OnePlus, Huawei, Oppo, etc are all or mostly dual-SIM models.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jgrose1, Yes, the second slot is usually for an SD card.  That is, unless the phone is a dual SIM model. 

jgrose1

Isn't the 2nd slot on most mobile phones for an SD card (memory storage for photos)?

jgrose1

Had a better experience this week when i purchased my SIM card at a large Walmart SuperCentre east of Oshawa. Noticing before Christmas that the Paint division and paint mixing as well as much of the Home Products division was closed, and that at many Wally's the Automotive Tire Installaton section has been closed as well as many other cutbacks and corporate rollbacks, and general conditions more reminiscent of 1929, I asked the woman selling SIM cards a few questions. I had to wait about 20 minutes while staff were on break, but it was worth it.  She told me, she too was not really a regular Walmart staffer and that is why the other staffer on duty while she ate supper, could not come to the cash till and sell me the Public Mobile SIM card - the till was locked until her return. She said like the Auto section and Paint section she was a contract employee for (i believe a sub contractor called OSL Inc.), and she sold all the upper end electronics - all contract phones and service plans, certain TVs, SIM cards, SD cards for cameras and phones, et cetera.  She did not try to persuade me to go with Walmart wireless, but rather PM was a good consumer choice because it was good value and ran over a stable Telus network.   She said what remains of Walmart's that have an Auto Service with the bays open and selling tires and small installations, is actually not Wally people, but in fact contracted out to Jiffy Lube, and those staff like her, are not regular Wally staff (and that there are sometimes frictions between the two types of staff).

Walmart employees might not receive direct commissions, but instead get rewarded (by their employer) in other ways.  Or they might receive individual/team commissions, especially if their performance is measured by the end-of-day cashout or department sales summaries.  I don't know.

But I suspect it's more like cashiers at supermarkets who ask if you'd like to donate $2 to the foodbank or whatever.  They obviously don't receive commissions for these "sales" but they are sometimes motivated/rewarded with recognition or prizes offered by their employer if they can reach certain thresholds or outperform their peers.

MoraMan

Cant blame them for pushing their product. Meh 

rsa

I had a pretty similar experience. The sales associate in the electronics section at Wal-mart told me they didn't carry public mobile sim cards, so I left thinking maybe it was just that store that didn't carry them. When I checked online and saw that they did carry them, I went back and asked again, then waited 45 minutes for him to struggle with a rogers activation, before he sold me the sim card and warned me against using public mobile (he seemed ot be confused with what public mobile was).

Overall a not-so-great experience, had I not read so many great things on redflagdeals I might have changed my mind on choosing public mobile.

Lg85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I was at Wal-mart to purchase two Public Movie sim cards for my parents as they want to switch to Public Mobile. The sim cards were not out on display, only cards advertising the unlimited $20 plan. When I asked one of the associates there, he told me they don't sell sim cards for that carrier. I ended up telling him on Public Mobile's website, it indicated that I can purchase their sim cards from Wal-mart.  He asked another associate and she ended up giving me 2 sim cards, which was locked up in their drawer. 

I picked up a SIM from local Walmart

Experiance was pretty straightforward but no love for Public that's for sure

They had 2 different displays setup at different locations, and each display had a different set of cards listing different plans / prices so they basically just threw cards on wall and left em there

anniemh2220

@srlawren I'm really sorry that it took me so long to get back to you. 

The sim card I was talking about wouldn't work at all. I was getting very frustrated .. anyway to make a long story short I decided to purchase another sim card from Walmart and that one worked...

I guess the other one was a "dud" ?

Anyway I still haven't returned it, but I am definitely going to.

Smiley Happy

Slingbow

I am a new Public Mobile customer... activated today... because last night Walmart had no one at the electronics desk... and no one there knew anything about Public Mobile.

I can understand keeping SIM cards locked up, but it was rather early in the evening to have absolutely no customer service. 

I recommend skipping Walmart and look for an open mall kiosk or just order one on-line.

srlawren

@anniemh2220 if you switched SIM cards in your self-serve account, then only the new SIM card is active.  If your phone is dual sim, try putting your new PM SIM in slot 1, and leave slot 2 empty for now.  Does that make any difference?  

Need Help? Let's chat.