cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Experience - Dufferin Mall - Toronto

seth
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I went to the Walmart at Dufferin Mall in Toronto on 27th of December to pick up a SIM card for a new phone I’d bought elsewhere. There were two guys working in the mobile shop, and it was super busy. At some point one of them asked me what service I was waiting for. I told him I just needed a SIM card. He told me that they couldn’t just sell me a SIM card (their policy) so I’d have to wait. I waited about 20 minutes on line. I waited. Later when he was setting up my account using their system though it kept timing out. After two failed attempts to activate my phone he said that he’d just sell me the SIM card. Despite the wait (it was Boxing Day week) and the activation issues, he was super friendly, so I wasn’t too upset. Would be nice if you could buy a SIM card at a bodega or from a vending machine.

13 REPLIES 13

SriS

Encountered mixed response.
Initially failed with an attempt to purchase just the SIM card without activation.
Later able to purchase the SIM card from a different sales person.

@stonechucker wrote:

@Murco, in this case, it's not actually Walmart, but the third party company doing the sales and service in the Electronics area.  

OSL is the partner company.

https://oslrs.com/

The thing is the name on the label is Walmart.  It is the Walmart goodwill that takes the beating. 

https://www.walmart.ca/en/electronics/cell-phones/N-2413

@Murco, in this case, it's not actually Walmart, but the third party company doing the sales and service in the Electronics area.  

Murco
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Reading all these negative posts regarding Walmart it’s it hard to believe that anyone would want to shop there. 

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@seth wrote:

I went to the Walmart at Dufferin Mall in Toronto on 27th of December to pick up a SIM card for a new phone I’d bought elsewhere. There were two guys working in the mobile shop, and it was super busy. At some point one of them asked me what service I was waiting for. I told him I just needed a SIM card. He told me that they couldn’t just sell me a SIM card (their policy) so I’d have to wait. I waited about 20 minutes on line. I waited. Later when he was setting up my account using their system though it kept timing out. After two failed attempts to activate my phone he said that he’d just sell me the SIM card. Despite the wait (it was Boxing Day week) and the activation issues, he was super friendly, so I wasn’t too upset. Would be nice if you could buy a SIM card at a bodega or from a vending machine.

They have done some Vending machine tests at a couple of GTA Malls.  Never heard how that experiment turned out though.  Will have to ask for the results of the trial.

I recall this also.  The experiment seemed to have quietly stopped with no further discussion. 

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

Ironcically, wasn't Dufferin Malls one of the places that had a Public Mobile sim card vending machine?  I believe someone post a picture of it. Sorry, to whoever posted it as I don't remember who it was.

it was me. heres the pic

Somebody on RFD posted a pic of a Public Mobile vending machine at the Dufferin Mall in Toronto. Brilliant!!  Looks like it takes both cash and credit 

vending.png

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

Do you have a WOW mobile at your mall??? I bought my card with this company and no problem...

@slash407 wrote:

i would hope so too, i never knew they cant just sell it, wow thats a complete bummer. So if u ever lose ur sim u have to buy it online and wait for it?

I would say it's best to never put yoruself in that situation and always have a spare.

Ironcically, wasn't Dufferin Malls one of the places that had a Public Mobile sim card vending machine?  I believe someone post a picture of it. Sorry, to whoever posted it as I don't remember who it was.

c70nut
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I tend to avoid Wally World at all costs.  The tech dept. at the one nearby me is a joke.  The laptops are all outdated and the "salespeople"  don't have much of a clue  They actually suggested I go to Best Buy instead to buy a computer, LOL.  I got my plan and SIM at The Mobile Shop where at least they knew a bit about how to activate the plan and provide the free SIM card.  Lots of times they're super busy too but I went early in the day and lucked out- 'twas the week before Christmas....

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@seth wrote:

...or Walmart could just cooperate. 🙂

seth

Cool. Yeah I’d like to know results too.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@seth wrote:

They have done some Vending machine tests at a couple of GTA Malls.  Never heard how that experiment turned out though.  Will have to ask for the results of the trial.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.