cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Brossard refused to sell me sim

bacardi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I had a very strange experience today.

I wanted to purchase Public Mobile sim at Walmart Brossard.

At first the employee refused.  He told me that Walmart no longer sells sims without in store activation. 

I requested to speak with his manager and he changed his mind and finally sold me the card.

To my knowledge, Walmart is the only place in QC that sells PM simcards.

Is there any new polisy in effect that doesn't allow employees to sell sims withou in store activation?

19 REPLIES 19

@wildstreak73 wrote:

Walmart North Bay, ON. Northgate Square Shopping Centrehttps://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/Retail/message-id/1274#

1500 Fisher Street

IDK the postal code

P1B 2H3

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/postalcode/fpc.jsf

wildstreak73

Walmart North Bay, ON. Northgate Square Shopping Centre

1500 Fisher Street

IDK the postal code

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

sure thing @mimmo, I try my best to filter through and keep everyone updated 🙂

Have a great day as well!! 

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mary_M great to see you posting and answering questions  in the community. 

Have a great day.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

thank you for sharing @wildstreak73, can you PM me more details about this exact location, such as the address and exactly what happened? I'll need to add it to my list.

Thank you,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

mimmo

@wildstreak73 walmarts are known to be promlematc. Thankfully there are other stores.  The mobile shop, kmoile wow mobile. 

@Mary_M has been collecting a list of problematic Walmart locations. Send her a private message with details of the location and what happened. 

Hello @wildstreak73

I'm sorry for you....unfortunately it happened sometimes...the thing you can don is to write to the moderator to let them know...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

And you can go in a different store to buy your sim card...wow mobile..mobile shop...london drugs....or Kmobile...check online where you can buy one near your place...

wildstreak73

Walmart North Bay, Ontario also refused to sell me a sim card unless I bought a phone.

Mani66

Hi,

On 10-Dec-2018 I went to purchase SIM card at Walmart located at Cedarbrae Mall Toronto (3495 Lawrence Ave E, Scarborough, ON M1H 1B2). Time was around 2:50PM (in-case one needs to track the employee at Walmart's booth).

She refused to sell me SIM card without activation. She said her manager instructed her so. She showed me a hand-writted chit taped to one of drawers with instructions. I told her that I purchased a SIM-only just a week ago from there (different rep was serving at that time). She still refused.

Just sharing my experience so that if it's against PM's policy then it should be communicated to that Wamart. (I also sent an email to Walmart as it costed me unnecessary trip to Walmart).

Thanks.

@kav2001c wrote:

@will13am

That one is obvious answer too  Cat Wink

As much as I love Public, the fact is Public NEEDS Walmart far more than Walmart needs Public

Even with some of the chintzy beaten up dusty displays I have seen, I would be willing to bet over any period of time the store sells more SIM cards than even someone like myself can refer (and even when I refer, some of those refers also go in store instead of order online)

Walmart brings volume of customers into the brand, and then Koodo works on upselling them

And the vast majority of customers are more than happy to let store activate for them since many of them would be nervous to do self activation (I personally have done at least 25+ SIM cards for others who were uncomfortable with online activations)

@will13am wrote:

This issue has been talked about enough in the forums and the decision makers are aware.  There must be something that makes it not so easy for Public Mobile to read the riot act to these bad actors. 

In all likelihood, this is the answer.  Having said that, it is the beginning of the end of the so called online model.  As customers migrate to using physical stores to purchase their service, the online part of the service becomes less and less relevant.  We are already seeing it in the form of ever increasing response times from the moderator team. 

@will13am

That one is obvious answer too  Cat Wink

As much as I love Public, the fact is Public NEEDS Walmart far more than Walmart needs Public

Even with some of the chintzy beaten up dusty displays I have seen, I would be willing to bet over any period of time the store sells more SIM cards than even someone like myself can refer (and even when I refer, some of those refers also go in store instead of order online)

Walmart brings volume of customers into the brand, and then Koodo works on upselling them

And the vast majority of customers are more than happy to let store activate for them since many of them would be nervous to do self activation (I personally have done at least 25+ SIM cards for others who were uncomfortable with online activations)

@will13am wrote:

This issue has been talked about enough in the forums and the decision makers are aware.  There must be something that makes it not so easy for Public Mobile to read the riot act to these bad actors. 

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Welcome to Public Mobile @bacardi

Glad you made it through to Public Mobile.

I didn't have an outright refusal to set me up with Public Mobile when I went to a WoW Mobile Kiosk. I think it was more related to the fact that it was a Saturday and the booth was busy, so they tried to send me to a Koodo Kiosk to get my activation and SIM card.

Nonetheless it worked out in the end and it seems like a relatively smooth transition so far.

Some people have reported different experiences at various Walmarts. Some better than others.

Please let the community know if you have any questions or concerns that could be dealt with on these forums. I have found the members to be very helpful with each other whenever they can assist before requring the Moderator team to get involved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

Yeah...well fine then...we won't sell your dang product. How do you like them apples?

Something like that maybe?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

sulagok

I think this kind of similar report is geting one time too many, in my opinion PM management may need to intervene, not sure how that kind of thing works. It happened to 2 of my friends that I was introducing to PM too, though they were not forced to activate with them perce, but tending to.

At first I had thougth, could it be that the Walmart employee there were trying to take advantage and using their number for referal purpose

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@bacardi

The employee in store gets paid a commission when you activate with him

The employee does not get paid when you purchase SIM and activate at home

This is why he backed down when pressed

Report em here to Moderator team (they are helping "educate" the store people)

Also just as an FYI; if you file a complaint to Walmart directly they (usually) will throw a gift card your way for poor in store performance

mimmo

If you have a mobile shop store (superstore /Loblaws) you can get sims there.

You can report your experience with details store address ti e etc)  to @Mary_M she is trying to track these Walmart stores.

imm1304

Hey @bacardi,

There is no policy from PM that requires you to activate in-store. 

Its up to you if you wish to take help from the employee or take the sim card home and activate it yourself.  

There have been other reports of Walmart refusing to sell just the sim card in the past. 

tbark

I activated my card at Walmart but could have bought the card for $10. By activating it with them, I did not have to pay for the SIM. They had no policy in place saying they had to activate it for me to get a SIM.

Need Help? Let's chat.