cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very happy. From a low-techie point of view

ichor
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

When the person at London Drugs saw my 10-year-old flip phone, she was very understanding. I had got the unlock code from the old carrier and she walked me through the steps to switch to Public Moblie and even moved my old phone number over.  She told me about the pros and cons of the different companies in this price range and we looked at network coverage to make sure this network would cover home, work, and everywhere else I go.  She didn't laugh at or insult my phone in any way (unlike other shops).

I've been deliberately seeking digital minimalism over the last few years, where I keep my computer life at home and work and avoid taking the internet with me when I interact with people.  It's quite a nice lifestyle and I'm very happy with it.  But it means I'm a bit behind the times with mobile tech and I was worried about coming to a company like Public because of the reputation for not being able to speak to a real human (I don't know if it's true or not, it's what people told me).  Since my old phone service made it impossible to get in touch with a real human anyway, I looked into Public some more.  I'm very glad to find the forums are so lively and full of helpful people.

Since the battery life on my 10-year-old flip phone is about 2 months (left on) and 4 months if it's mostly off, I don't really see a good reason to upgrade the phone.  The other companies had big pressure sales to upgrade to a smartphone, but the London Drugs staff focused instead on finding out what suited my needs and gave me some options for the future (like putting the sim card in the tablet for times when I need to take card payments).

I'm very happy the Public Mobile sim card fits in the old phone easily.  

13 REPLIES 13

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @ichor 

Welcome to public mobile a the community.

You won't be lonely here, there are people here who appreciate the off button and prefer older and simpler equipment meant for more elegant usage:) 

Enjoy your savings

Sarlye
Welcome to the PM community.

I had a candy bar phone until 18 months ago with Rogers paying over $70.. unfortunately my tiny phone, which I still missed couldn’t support the new technology and I had to finally give it up when I switched to PM. Now I pay wayyyy less and have the best support community ever.

Feel free to ask us anything or visit the Lounge and socialize.

🤗

gail709

Thanks for sharing.  Your message proves that there is a place for everyone at PM and we don't all have to fit the same mold.  I ,too, was very nervous about the fact that PM has no telephone support, but I soon learned that I like this forum better.  Like you, I am not very techi but it is amazing how many people on this forum are VERY techi and VERY willing to share their knowledge.  I'm learning a lot and sharing as able...Hope you will do the same.

@ichor wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@ichor  the great thing about the data add-ons is that they don't expire and will sit on your account until fully consumed.  So you could be a data add-on that could last you many months!

Sweet!  that makes me very happy.

It looks like I got some free data for having auto-pay.  Am I right in thinking this expires each month?  

@ichor, yes any plan data or the autopay bonus data expires each month

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Yes it does @ichor . Welcome to PM. 

@ichor wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@ichor  the great thing about the data add-ons is that they don't expire and will sit on your account until fully consumed.  So you could be a data add-on that could last you many months!

It looks like I got some free data for having auto-pay.  Am I right in thinking this expires each month?  

ichor

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@ichor wrote:

@Staliger wrote:

@ichor Great story. Enjoy PM offerings and savings!Smiley Happy

The savings are much better here!  The old phone company more than doubled their rates this year and I didn't even have call display or text!  

I'm really digging the call display with PM.  

I also love the idea that I can buy extra data for the months when I need it and not have to buy it all the other months of the year.  

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ichor

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@ichor  Welcome to PM.  Great story, and it is true you can't "speak" to a person but contact is all through this online community and even when creating a trouble ticket they are handled by real people on the other end.  PM is the phone company without a phone number.

Forums are more my style than frustrating phone trees.  

ichor

@Staliger wrote:

The savings are much better here!  The old phone company more than doubled their rates this year and I didn't even have call display or text!  

I'm really digging the call display with PM.  

I also love the idea that I can buy extra data for the months when I need it and not have to buy it all the other months of the year.  

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@ichor  Great to know and thanks for the update. Welcome to PM. Smiley Happy

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@ichor  Welcome to PM.  Great story, and it is true you can't "speak" to a person but contact is all through this online community and even when creating a trouble ticket they are handled by real people on the other end.  PM is the phone company without a phone number.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Welcome to Public Mobile 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.