cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The day I joined PM

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

When I got the email about PM flash deal, it was Saturday morning, I have to work in the afternoon, I rush to Londondrugs in Coquitlam Center because thay open early. The guy said they dont know about the flash deal and cannot offer me, then I went to ItalkBB in henderson mall which open 1 hour later, the lady told she doesnt have SIM card in stock, finally I went to Superstore, activited SIM in store and got the deal. these 3 all listed on PM website as retailers.

20 REPLIES 20

Weldorman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As one senior to another, I've just recently signed up to PM.  Just when I'd almost decided not to bother with the expense of a cell phone, but found the PM plans to be extremely affordable, and easy to configure to my needs.  I. too, signed up for the 500 + 500mg plan, but with unlimited talk and text.  Since data is the most expensive component in any plan, I elected to keep some data, but keep it to a minimum.  The mobile data is great if you happen to be on the road or away from a convenient WIFI source.  If you have a computer with WIFI at home, you can link your cell phone to your home WIFI and there will be no data usage on your plan at all.  If you are at the shopping mall, there is usually free WIFI available and, again, data is free.  Configuring your phone to take advantage of this is easy, and you get to keep your data for when you REALLY need it...emergencies and such...not for just checking the web!  At the rate I'm currently using data, even my one Gig would easily last for all my needs per month!  Good Luck!

@kl1216pm  You can purchase a cheap SIM card and plan on amazon.ca for your travels before you go but I would just ask your kids in taiwan whether it's better to get one before you go or when you arrive they would know best. Then all you have to do is switch SIM cards in your phone and switch back when you come home to be back on public mobile.

kl1216pm

LOL ... I don't know who will have a more definitive answer.   Anyway, whichever way the answer goes, it won't help much as hairbag1 pointed out that PM will be out of service once I'm out of the country Smiley Embarassed

@kl1216pm wrote:

Aah ... thanks.  That's a good point.

I'm sure that 7-11 type of retailers, sells calling cards to Taiwan. Not sure of the cost, but it shouldn't be too much I don't think.

kl1216pm

Aah ... thanks.  That's a good point.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@kl1216pm wrote:

Is Taiwan one of the countries covered by  the long distance calls?  Thanks again.

Taiwan is not listed as one of countries that is covered by it. Unless it is considered apart of China.

@kl1216pm wrote:

Thanks for the welcome.  I did take advantage of  the free holiday gifts from pm (1gb data and 400 ld minutes).

I am planning to travel to Taiwan to visit my son-in-law and daughter (both international school teachers) in February 2020.  Is Taiwan one of the countries covered by  the long distance calls?  Thanks again.

That 400 minutes of calling will allow you to make the calls while you're in Canada. Once out of Canada, your PM network won't work.

Included countries: Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela.

kl1216pm

Thanks for the welcome.  I did take advantage of  the free holiday gifts from pm (1gb data and 400 ld minutes).

I am planning to travel to Taiwan to visit my son-in-law and daughter (both international school teachers) in February 2020.  Is Taiwan one of the countries covered by  the long distance calls?  Thanks again.

@kl1216pm  Please feel free to visit the community anytime and ask any question we are happy to help. When I switched to public mobile I wasn't new to the cell phone world but fairly new to the smartphone universe and technologically challenged. I was still trying to convince myself that computers and the internet was just a fad! The community welcomed me with open arms and helped pull me into the 21st century with hardly a kick or a scream. I occasionally still utter profanities in frustration with my inability to grasp basic computer skills like copy and paste but my overall  improvement as a whole and the wealth of knowledge I have gained is thanks to the many dedicated and supportive community members and mentors who have taken me under their wing. I can't thank them enough but only pay it forward by sharing what I have learned and helping others on their journey with public mobile. It sounds like you are already ahead of me by leaps and bounds when it comes to the navigation of the world wide web but may need some guidance with the operation of your phone and how to manage your account with pm. Whenever you encounter an issue or have query just post your own question, type a subject into the search bar or read one of the help or knowledge articles they are all just a couple of clicks away. Make sure you do add your free holiday gifts from pm (1gb data and 400 ld minutes) I mentioned earlier before xmas day. In turn we only ask that you mark the solution to your queries when a member does help answer or solve it for you and/or bravo posts that you find helpful, informative or you just happen to like what they have to say. Welcome to public mobile. We are happy to help.

kl1216pm

Thank you all for the responses.  Will talk to my daughter this weekend when she comes to find out the data tracker information. Thanks again.

sa7375

Hi, @kl1216pm ! First, a very warm welcome.

Rest assured you have made the right decision — in fact a perfect one to get a mobile phone. Most people don’t realize that a cell phone is no more a luxury or an option but a necessity. Foremost it is readily available in any emergency but gradually it will become the pivot for managing your life and routines like managing doctor appointments,  prescription refills and even monitoring your sugar and heartbeat etc. And looking further in to the future, you may not even have to visit a doctor.

You have also made the right decision opting for a PM (Public Mobile) plan because it offers a granular control of what you need in terms of talk-minutes, texts, data. I don’t think any other company offers such a wide menu of making choices. So play around with your plan of what you need and settle for what suits you best. Again, with PM you can change a plan every month. 

Image result for welcome

@kl1216pm  Have your daughter help you (If necessary) set up your data tracker, enable data saver and under your data usage turn off all background app usage in each app except a couple of the most important ones this will go a long way in stretching your 1gb. Making sure updates, backing up data such as photos are only done on WiFi and avoid watching videos on mobile data will also keep your usage much lower.

@kl1216pm  There are many people here that want a plan with 2-3gb of data hopefully this year pm will create one otherwise your forced to be conservative on the $25 plan or have a little too much on the $40 plan. Now you can't use more than your plan allows because your data will just stop working once you hit the limit. Have you added your holiday 1gb data add on and 400 international minutes add on  yet? You will be able to dip into the add on data when you run out of plan data and the it will roll over every month til you have used it up. That can help bridge the gap for a little while.

kl1216pm

I finally joined the bandwagon this morning.   

I have a cell phone that my daughter gave me. I have been debating for a long time whether I really need a cell phone with a SIM card, as being a senior, I don't really like to call or talk on the cell phone.  And I don't have a need for unlimited talking time. 

I just subscribed to the 500mb plus 500mb bonus plan.  I wish I had learned more about the PM and the special promo in early December about the free additional 1gb plan.  

Not sure how long the 1gb will last, and what would  happen if I over-used the 1gb limit. Just hope that PM will bring back a plan with 2gb data, and less talking time Smiley Embarassed

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @yanzhiqiang 

When it comes to deals most of the time you don't need the clerk confirmation. Only for free sim, everything else is on public mobile side. I took a relative to the store when they opened. They told me that they knew nothing about the deals, then they checked and 'sim is 0 again, you are right' (they didn't check public mobile website they scanned something, they don't know system sets the price) I checked myself that the activation falls within requirements (35+, in-store+online, within certain dates). They knew nothing is inactives, they didn't need to really they are not selling it, if anything goes wrong with the deal I don't go there I must talk to moderators, only is sim didn't work I would have gone back to ask them to swap it.

What I'm trying to say is that they don't give you extra data or second month free or 10off for 6 months, you receive that from public mobile not from London drugs or Walmart, the only thing they can do is charger 0 for the sim, and if they are not aware, remind them to check, they will do that and if promo is on they will find out it is

Hope it helps

And welcome to public mobile:)

Ed404

You were very determined to join Public Mobile, I love it! Welcome

sa7375

A very warm welcome@yanzhiqiang. You have definitely made the right decision, and hats off to your resilience fighting the odds to find the SIM.
Resilience.jpg

I have seen this here before where people run around from one dealer to the next trying to get the promotion. I really can't expect all employees at all dealers to know all the details about Flash Sales that are in progress when they are announced and only last 2-4 days. 

The unfortunate part is that your first stop at London Drigs was good as the dealer has nothing to do with this promo. The only thing that dealers do need to specifically know about is promos where the SIM card is free. 

AE_Collector

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@yanzhiqiang , welcome to Public Mobile, it's unfortunate that you had to go through so much trouble to sign up.  I suggest going to the store locator and entering your customer experience information into each of the stores.  This information will be useful to Public Mobile to assess retail partner performance.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@yanzhiqiang   How very resourceful of you to have back up options lined up in case something went wrong as it obviously did. Being prepared with a copy of the promotion and more than one retailer to activate with is advisable. More often than not especially with flashsales salespeople can be completely unaware of public mobiles current offers. If a free SIM card is involved you can be shutdown very quickly. Being able to access the public mobile site to show retail staff the promotion and the retailers that are participating can help you guide an uninformed staff member in completing your request once they understand that they have the authority to supply a free SIM card. Otherwise most promotions only require you to fulfill the conditions set out in the announcements. Very occasionally there will be a specific plan created that must be chosen or  promo code to be entered in the promo code box. Having done your research beforehand eliminates problems arising for an activation that can cause disappointment or the need for moderator intervention afterwards to fix mistakes caused by misinformation on behalf of sales staff or the uninformed customer. Bravo on your forethought. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Need Help? Let's chat.