cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store vs Online

CCoupe85
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Are deals and plans better or worse in store vs online??

9 REPLIES 9

J05
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the info!

funpig
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You can get different promotions in a store as opposed to online.

Last month, my local PM kiosk at Richmond Centre (BC) was offering free sims.  This was a local promotion limited to Richmond and Metrotown.  It was not available online or at other locations.  Promotion ended on July 31.

Please note that there is a distinction between dedicated PM kiosks and a retailer (like Walmart or London Drugs) which sells different sims for different service providers.  The sales people at PM kiosks are paid by the hour by PM and do not work on commission.  On the other hand, when I first went to London Drugs, the sales person kept trying to push me to buy Chatr and told me that PM was inferior.  My guess was the London Drugs person wanted to earn a bigger commission on a Chatr sale.  I found the PM kiosk guys not to be pushy and were very helpful.  They didn't care if you asked a lot of questions or took your sweet time to make a decision because they were getting paid the same whether you purchased or not. 

I alway recommend that new subscribers should go to a PM kiosk to do their activation.  It does not cost any more than to do it yourself (and if there is a kiosk promotion, it is cheaper).  There is no need to wait for delivery of the sim.  If the first sim is defective (like mine), the kiosk will just provide another one.  You can bring in your referral if you have one.  If you do not have a referral, like me, the salesman provided me with one so that I got the new activation $10 referral credit.  Finally, if there is a problem with the new activation (like my Dad's activation and like so many who have posted here), the salesman will deal with it on your behalf even if it takes several hours. In my Dad's activation, the server was acting up during the activation.  I just paid for a $10 voucher for the $10 talk plan and left it for the salesman to deal with it.  It took him several hours before the activation was finalized, but once it did, he called me up and it was done. 

Look at this way, you can deal with an oracle here working for bravos and muddle away on your own, or you can deal face to face with an actual person who is paid to carry out the activation for you.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

There are occasional deals for online and in store sign up.  I would call this even.  The benefit of online activation is getting to know every aspect of this service as it was originally intended to be used.  In store activation insulates the customer from the self serve portal sometimes to the point where a customer doesn't even has online access set up when their first account problem arises.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CCoupe85 

I have seen free SIM's with activation in a Walmart and have heard of that from others. I had an experience at a PM kiosk where they mentioned an offer I hadn't heard of (being a regular here).

For the no benefit to using a store I would say that being able to go through the ropes on your own is invaluable to really know whats going on rather than just blithely going with whatever some clerk told you or did.

Master2001

Plans in store are exactly the same as online.
Promotions are always announce here even if you have to go in store to get it.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

There maybe some unadvertised promotions for activations like a free sim card.  If you are near a retail store or kiosk it might be worth while to checkout.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@CCoupe85There are Flash Deals that are announced here with specific restrictions.. eg need to be activated online at certain dates, by certain banking entities eg an ongoing one by RBC, needed to be originally from certain providers etc.

Other than that.. the published plans online vs in presence at stores are the same.

kelvarnsen

I think occasionally there are activation deals that are for in store activation only, like weekend flash sales. Also haven't some people reported that the PM kiosks have there own unpublished deals? 

nanaman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm very new to Public Mobile, I just started using it a couple of weeks ago. I activated my account at Walmart and it was a very simple process. I also looked online and I can't see any benefit of doing it online vs in-store.  

Need Help? Let's chat.