cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some retailers are refusing to sell unactivated SIM cards

hocuspocus
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@CS_Agent I have heard from some of my referrals that some stores (ie. Walmart and WOW Mobile kiosks) are choosing not to sell SIM cards when the customer does not activate it at the store.  What happens then is the referral bonus is lost.

1. Are retailers allowed to require that customers activate a SIM card at the store?
  2. If not, how can this be escalated and reported?
16 REPLIES 16

@88cranstonActivation fee depends on the shop. Some shops do, others don't. Most chain ones don't. They are free to set whatever price they decide to and let the market decide.

Stores do have limited stock of SIMs (the store clerk say they only stock a pack), I cleaned out the Loblaw Mobile Store's stock when I purchased 5 SIM cards due to their bonus sale + another for a relative. I won't be surprised if new design ones show up in not too distant future.

On store activation, you can ask the clerk to hand the tablet to you to enter the information you need to enter. I suggest that to a few of my relatives, just to make sure the account owner can get a once over to make sure the information is enterred correctly, especially emails. My experience with London Drugs, the clerk is more than happy to let the customer enter their own thing because they have things to do other than looking over a customer.

You can enter your referral code and once you enter the referral code, you can't loose the sign up bonus. The person who owns the referral code will gain the $1 bonus.

lukevader
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This is a better link to some of PM's policy. Show this post to them hopefully it will be enough.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Public-Mobile-at-London-Drugs/m-p/25358...

88cranston

Wow good to hear. While over the years London Drugs has been a trusted retailer in our home. But not recently. They tried to sell a new printer with Airplay to my 90 year old mother in-law as they told her the  one she had did not have AirPlay. I went over her place and set it up her existing printer...no problem. Then recently their prescription sales advised me that what I needed did not come in generic. I had to renew but did  at Costco. Costco was half the price and I neglected to ask for generic only to find out they, Costco gave me generic. I then checked what London Drugs gave me and it too was generic and not name brand as they told me. Also years ago I planned to buy a Samsung Phone for $110 and they wanted to charge me $50 to activate it. The $50 / $110 ratio was a laughable gouge. I said I would activate my self and they said no problem but the $50 fee still would apply. I bought the Samsung Phone at  Best Buy for $99 on a Friday and was in my mailbox the next Monday.  Thus my decline of the offer by London Drugs. I guess the clerk should have better explained what he would do for me.  

Iam am glad you had such great service at London Drugs. 

@88cranston I've had three experiences activating accounts at London drugs. All of them different but as a chain they have a cross the board customer service satisfaction guarantee and price match policy. Although you may get different levels of service or knowledge from individual stores or employees as a whole they will strive to rectify any issue you do have. While I have the confidence and ability to activate and port a number to public Mobile now I certainly didn't 6 weeks ago. It's taken a lot of "study" to get to where I am now my lack of computer skill led me to the in store activation at London drugs. First activation went off without a hitch. The young man was efficient, asked if I had a referral code (I didnt) , discreetly looked away when I entered pin codes and other sensitive information and had me call my number to make sure it worked. Charged the SIM card to my credit card and had me on my way in 20 minutes receipt in hand. I found out the very next day they started offering a free SIM card with in store activation...i went back within 15 days (software has limited return time) to be safe and asked for a price match and was given a full refund on the SIM card.

The second activation we were a little rushed as we were late for a concert (Burton Cummings he was awesome.) But we were going for a flash sale promo that ended at 11:59 pm edt on the west coast that's 9pm. Good thing to remember out here....again the more mature salesman was quite competent and I was well aware of the process and the promo and that we were sneaking it in under the wire. He asked for the referral code, I supplied it, again walked away when I entered the more sensitive info chose the plan offered for promo and charged my credit card. When I questioned the price ($10 off /6 mos) he assured me it would be applied within 7 days. Again 20 min  receipt and printed invoice w/acct+plan details in hand. Both times I was asked and set up on auto pay and only had to register for self serve and the community. (Also a free SIM card.)

The only issue with this one was the promo didn't come thru then when I turned to the community and did some research I found out there was a special plan box you had to pick...wasnt that obvious so I understand how it could be missed and the mods fixed the problem afterwards. 

Third activation...i went to the same London drugs the salesman a little less than enthusiastic but got started on the activation after a bit of a hiccup getting the unlocking code from fido. We got to the referral code and once we entered it....frozen screen.  We were told at least an hour for the 1990s era computers to reboot so we told to come back or activate online at home. He gave us the free SIM card since we tried to activate in store and left about 20 min later receipt in hand.

Took two tries at home and a delay overnight in porting because my room mate forgot to put the unlocking code in the phone first but otherwise fairly trouble free. 

Three activations, one freedom, two fido, two instant port, one would of been instant (forgot to unlock.) All in all a positive almost trouble free in store activation experience. 2 weeks later I activated online at home it took four tries, 6 hours( you have to wait an hour in between tries) but once activated my telus number was ported over instantly and successfully. So in reality both options do have pros and cons. Depending on the promo your going for and make sure you know what you want (plans and promos) know how to troubleshoot and the process for activation the choice of DIY or in store is up to you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@88cranston wrote:

Hi. In my search for a SIM card in Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows the Super Store in Pitt Meadows  was “out of stock”. Is that by design as they have a similar plan that they would want to offer you? I did buy at Maple Ridge London Drugs but was offered  activation and politely declined...no problem.

Then I thought:

Was there a $50 (or any other amount) activation charge as some do charge?

Would they enter the referral code that I wanted to use?

Would I loose my $10 sign up bonus?

Who would receive the $1 a month bonus, no one or a London Drugs employee?

Do I want any retailer (or employee)  knowing my credit card information, my pin #, my account password and would they have the patience to offer me a phone number from the custom last 4 digits option? No!

I wished I had asked some questions. 😀😀

1. Stores aren't supposed to charge for activating but they gotta make a living somehow 🙂

2. You would need to give them that and they certainly shouldn't do anything differently.

3. Why? If you put in a referral code (or even if they cheat and put in their own) then you would get your $10 credit.

4. Either the owner of the referral you give or if they cheat...they would.

5. Do you use a credit card otherwise? You can change your PIN and password afterwards if you like.

6. Good point on the number choosing.

Just activate yourself online. It's not rocket science. Use a clean unencumbered browser and you should be fine.

88cranston

Hi. In my search for a SIM card in Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows the Super Store in Pitt Meadows  was “out of stock”. Is that by design as they have a similar plan that they would want to offer you? I did buy at Maple Ridge London Drugs but was offered  activation and politely declined...no problem.

Then I thought:

Was there a $50 (or any other amount) activation charge as some do charge?

Would they enter the referral code that I wanted to use?

Would I loose my $10 sign up bonus?

Who would receive the $1 a month bonus, no one or a London Drugs employee?

Do I want any retailer (or employee)  knowing my credit card information, my pin #, my account password and would they have the patience to offer me a phone number from the custom last 4 digits option? No!

I wished I had asked some questions. 😀😀

CherylKirby
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Walmart needs to hear how poorly their associates are being trained and the poor attitude they have. I know they handle many different providers and all the promotions that go with them so there is a lot of info for them to take in....except, all the info in written down and they just need to read it or they have access to PM staff over the phone. Not sure if it is because they are confused or just don' t care.

earthonmars

I was able to get a SIM at Walmart (Toronto-Dufferin mall location) for $10 each. The rep there had no problem to sell the sim without activation.

Hmmmm, it must be a good rep bad rep thing.

mctnguy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Had another friend get denied a sale of a Sim card at Walmart on Trinity in Moncton.  She was cohersed into activating in store and realized after that she lost the $25 signing bonus.  

This is very poor customer service on Walmarts part and gives a bad first impression for public mobile.

Wow...frustrating beyond words. This seems to be getting worse and worse.

hocuspocus

Great! This is exactly the answer I was looking for.  Then I can advise anyone that is getting the run-around the following escalation steps:

1. Show the retailer Public Mobile's policy in writing
  2. If it is still an issue, advise the retail employee that the retail store's manager and Public Mobile will be notified in writing about this violation from protocol
  3. If it is still an issue, follow through and notify both parties.  Note the employee's name as well.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Here is a tip that I think might work.  Tell the store that you lost your phone and need to get a replacement SIM card for an existing plan.  As long as they have a bit of pity, they will sell an unactivated SIM card.  Honesty is always the best policy, but sometimes a white lie is needed. 

szymon247

And an extra tip is to call the store or its electronics section (for Walmart and London Drugs) before going there. You can simply ask if they have the Sim cards in stock and if they'll sell them to you without activating on the spot.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hocuspocus wrote:

@CS_Agent I have heard from some of my referrals that some stores (ie. Walmart and WOW Mobile kiosks) are choosing not to sell SIM cards when the customer does not activate it at the store.  What happens then is the referral bonus is lost.

1. Are retailers allowed to require that customers activate a SIM card at the store?
  2. If not, how can this be escalated and reported?

@hocuspocus

The retailers are supposed to be allowing the purchase of unactivated SIMs.  Brooke has mentioned here that you can let her or the PM moderators know of any issues with retailers selling SIMs.

szymon247

1. They shouldn't, but they sometimes do. It's lack of information if anything else. 

2. When that happens, you can mention that in this "Retail" forum.

Just mention the store location in the topic name so people know which store it is and briefly describe your experience in the post. It might help other users considering that location as well.

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Nope, they can't force you to activate at the store. 

GC 

Need Help? Let's chat.