cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So So Experience

KickerD21
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have personal experience in retail myself so I understand the pressure the retail clerks are under.  I had a newer clerk serve me at Walmart.  She did not take the time to explain that it was a 3-1 SIM card.  Thankfully I am very tech savy. 

11 REPLIES 11

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@KickerD21

Every little thing counts for me. A few lines and $10 per SIM adds up. I still factor the cost of the SIM card into the total price.

Only thing for me when signing up I immediately changed the plan to one which was $5 more expensive. I had to do this for two accounts. I didn’t get the credit for the difference but I indersand that it was my own fault. Not Public Mobile. Normally I would have to forfeit the whole amount I already paid and pay for the new plan since it’s prepaid, but they gave a one time exception.

KickerD21

I never got mine for free.  But a sim card for me is chump change 

Jarvar

@krazykiwi

You are right about the different sized SIM cards. I saw that more a few years back, but at the time a lot of companies were transition into a all in one card which you snapped to the correct size for your device. Lots of companies provide these multi sized cards now though which I think is easier for us. I remember someone whose phone broke and got a hand me down, we had to buy another SIM card because they required a different size and the chip was too big to trim. Either Nano or Micro. And then that phone broke and the replacement required a regular SIM and we found some old adapters to fit the SIM card into in order to work properly.

Sometimes it's good to clarify the promotions beforehand as well. When I was one of the mobile Kiosks on the weekend, they put up makeshift print out signs advertising promotions for certain carriers that aren't posted on their website. Some offers may be better than others and things change so quickly so I like to verify the promotion before going ahead.

I missed out on the $25 dollar credit, but a $10 referral and my second month free came out to a better deal for me personally. I confirmed it with them before going ahead. I have heard of some people who got free SIMs, and some others who got other promotions but not a free SIM. I don't think it hurts to ask before going ahead. Same goes with any other carrier if you are inquiring about their plans and products at the same time.

@KickerD21I bought mine at London Drugs, I had to ask because I have seen where you had to ask for the size of sim you needed and I could not remember which one I had. Whither he would have told me had I not asked...I don't know. He didn't tell me about the $25 credit and free sim promotion for in store activation so....

Jarvar

@KickerD21

Welcome to Public Mobile.

I don't remember Rogers explaining how to use the 3 in 1 SIM card either, just scanned it made me pay for it and handed it to me. Niether did Roam Mobility, but I think those could be found out on the Knowledge Base area or FAQs of several other providers as well.

Glad you figured it out and could start using it right away.

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Walmart customer service has been pretty poor regarding PM sales and service.

dna2016

@KickerD21, like what @GreatCanadian said regarding a 3-1 SIM, there's nothing tech about that.  However I do agree with your point that in today's era you need to have at least a little bit of tech knowledge to get by nowadays, or at least know someone who is knowledgeable.  

Glad to see you were able to get decent service at a Walmart.  Usually for new reps it's a bit of a challenge because not only are they trying to understand the system they use to activate, but to understand the PM plans that are available, and learning how to explain features and the like.  I was there once.  But I can assure you not knowing/realizing how a 3-1 SIM works should not ah ve been an issue.  It clearly says on the card itself, just gotta read.

KickerD21

Some people are clueless when it comes to technology today.  I havr taught myself how to be tech savvy.  If people do not learn this skill they will be lost in an ever growing sea of tech

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@KickerD21 wrote:

I have personal experience in retail myself so I understand the pressure the retail clerks are under.  I had a newer clerk serve me at Walmart.  She did not take the time to explain that it was a 3-1 SIM card.  Thankfully I am very tech savy. 

Excellent work! It can be very confusing for people that the sim card is 3 different sizes in 1!

I could see how it could look like it only comes with the "standard" size.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@KickerD21, happy to see that you are able to be self sufficient.  This trait is absolutely essential for this service.  Without a call center, the customer is very much front and center when it comes to looking after the account.  If you can handle this, this service is a savings opportunity.  

GreatCanadian

Tech savy? For what?

GC

Need Help? Let's chat.