cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shady Business

Bmcquaid
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My mother in law went in and activated a new account at one of your locations, due to references from myself and my wife.  We've been big fans of public mobile and finally won her over.  The owner of the location asked her if she had the referral code, she wasn't sure what that was and just said I was referred by my daughter and her husband, they didn't give me anything (we didn't know she was going in today to hook up).  So apparently his practice is to just use his girlfriend's referall code instead of trying to get her to give us a simple call.  This felt super shady, I'm not sure how to contact the company so I thought I'd just throw it on here.  TIA

10 REPLIES 10

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Bmcquaid  May I add to my previous comment.  It's not really that involved to get the proper referral code in place.  The mods will do most of the work to cancel the account and open a new one with the proper referral and your mother in law will probably not even notice the few minutes her phone is out of service.  All you or her need to have is her phone number and email address used to open the orginal account then click on "Create a new account" and it will all be there for her.  Some has to stand up for principal    Cheers

@Lar  Some useful info in that reply! 👍 

@Bmcquaid, given the info provided by @Lar , I suspect it's probably not worthwhile for you, and more importantly, your mother-in-law, to bother with the hassle of closing an account, and re-opening a new one, JUST for $1/month(30 days) referral reward, especially since her service, I expect, is likely working just fine at this point, AND she's received, or soon will, the $10 credit to her account. OTOH, maybe you both just want to correct the issue for the principle of it..... 🤔 

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Bmcquaid  Having gone through trying to get a referral code changed I'll tell you exactly what happened.  They could NOT just change the referral code. The account needed to be closed and a new account opened with the proper referral code. Mods handled closing the first account and setting up the new one but your mother in law or yourself will need to go in and set up the online account again which only takes a few minutes.

Contact the mods and explain what you need done but be ready to have the PIN for your mother in laws account.  Cheers

gail709
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

May I suggest you have the mother-in-law contact the moderator through her account (or you do it for her) and explain that SHE made a mistake and put in the wrong referral code.  I think they may be happy to help her correct her error.  I think you complicate the situation if you make the complaint as a third party.  Let us know what happens.

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@Bmcquaid  Yeah, it's not the first time we've seen this sort of "shady" behaviour, and it probably won't be the last time. 🙄  At least your mother-in-law gets the $10 discount added to her account.....

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Bmcquaid, at least the employee didn't use his referral code that would have been super uber shady!

Like one of the other people said below, do report that location and contact the moderators to apply either the referral code from your account or your wife's. And take it one step further by calling them out and write a negative review on the business. Typically, Google Reviews are read by millions of people, and having you write up a negative review from the company could mean loss of revenue and customers. 

Does the company have a Facebook page? If so, copy and paste that review within Facebook too. They may contact you to follow up. Use any other social media platforms to put this company on notice. From what am reading from your post, this employee has done this many times, and that his girlfriend probably has a no-fee bill because of him. 

I would have been okay if he said, can you call the relatives, and get that code. And if mother-in-law said, no, then if he said would it be okay if I enter my friend's referral code.  But, if he just entered the code without asking, any of the two scenarios, then, yes, it is shady. 

I have always wonder if cashiers at supermarkets ask if you have a store points card. And if they don't would they mind using the donation card, where the points are added, and this card is used for 'Make a Wish Foundation,' where maybe gift certificates are used for travel. Yes, I could see a different can of worms opening here too, but, there are some people who could use some extra help or there (sorry, wrong place for this last comment!)

Anyways, talk to the moderator, and blast that company for their wrong-doing. I wouldn't go back to the store and complain. That may backfire, and post it up, and they can't tell you to take it down. 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Bmcquaid

Agreed, it's not very ethical practice. It reflects poorly on the opportunistc retailer. And, by extension, it reflects poorly on Public Mobile, even though they are otherwise uninvolved.

I would msg the PM Mods, include a link to this thread, the account number, phone number, and referrsl code used. PM might be able to revoke or transfer the referral credit/reward if the retailer has violated their business agreement.

I would also report this to the retailer. As in, the "contact us" department for the store overseer or the regional chain boss henchman. The retail employee and his/her immediate supervisor won't admit (or change) unethical behaviors unless pressured from above. Public reviews at BBB, google, redflag, etc are powerful motivators - you don't have to thresten ot extort anyone by honestly saying you feel the retailer ripped you off and if it's not fixed then you'll honestly tell other people about it. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Bmcquaid , I will stick my neck out and say that most if not all retail outlets that partner with Public Mobile would be salivating when they see a customer coming in to activate a new line and do not come with a referral in hand.  One the one hand, the practice is a bit shady.  On the other hand, what do you want them to do if customers are not fully aware of the referral reward system.  It would be a total waste of a good reward opportunity.  There is always the opportunity to rate the retailer.  

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Bmcquaid wrote:

My mother in law went in and activated a new account at one of your locations, due to references from myself and my wife.  We've been big fans of public mobile and finally won her over.  The owner of the location asked her if she had the referral code, she wasn't sure what that was and just said I was referred by my daughter and her husband, they didn't give me anything (we didn't know she was going in today to hook up).  So apparently his practice is to just use his girlfriend's referall code instead of trying to get her to give us a simple call.  This felt super shady, I'm not sure how to contact the company so I thought I'd just throw it on here.  TIA

@Bmcquaid Maybe mods can help and replace the "wrong referral code" to yours. Give it a try. Send a message to moderator team directly: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

She can leave a review about her experience.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/store-locator

Need Help? Let's chat.