cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service at Wal-Mart

Publicly_Mobile
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just wanted to echo the other reviews regarding service at Wal-Mart. I spent a ridiculous amount of time waiting in line to buy my $10 SIM card. Apparently of all the employees they have working in the electronics department only one is permitted to sell anything related to mobile phones. I went to two different locations and both times waited more than 30 minutes without even being acknowledged by the salesperson before leaving empty handed.

12 REPLIES 12

thechunkyknot

Walmart in grande prairie alberta  will sell you a sim card without activation. unless you want it activated. You can also buy vouchers at walmart and superstore in grande prairie alberta.

@krissy, this is strange for London Drugs and the Mobile Shop in most experiences here.  

WalMart we know is bad for this.  If you could, please provide the store locations (addresses) you had an issue with to the Moderator_Team account, attention Mary_M.

krissy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Both London Drugs and The Mobile Shop (in Edmonton) told me that they would not sell me a sim card without activating. Apparently it's a new London Drugs policy. Mobile Shop let me buy one straight, but only because I called first and the dude told me I could (then I drove across town to pick it up and they told me they weren't supposed to).
It's a money thing of course. They don't get a kickback/less of a kickback if it's not activated in store (or at least that is what Mobile shop told me)

markevee
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

yeah, I the nearest walmart is St. Albert Alberta, and it is a ridiculous wait time. Honestly for $10 I dont even know why the sim cards are locked up behind a counter, i cant imagine them getting stolen and they should have a system that activates them at the tills. Anyways i ordered mine online and it came really quick. It is not the greatest if you need it imediately. 

@mycatpuma That's why when someone asks where they can get a PM SIM I don't list Walmart, to many people have complained about being forced into a plan, sometimes missing online-only bonuses,.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Publicly_Mobile Feel so sorry for your experience. Hope that when PM has their own kiosks may help that kind of situation. Welcome to PM!

mycatpuma

That’s a real pita 😞

I’ve heard some awful stories re: Walmart and public Mobile too, many get tricked into activating with them in store and only get $10 instead of $25 referral. 

If you are still looking, I’ve found that The Mobile Shop is convenient and hassle free to pick up SIM cards, and you can also use Optimum points to pay for them since they are inside Loblaws or Superstore.

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Don't support bad companies by giving them your money, use your money to support good companies, like using your money as votes.  I never but anything from american companies or american products no matter how cheap they are.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@Publicly_Mobile  You can buy a SIM at a London Drugs, Wow Mobile, K Mobile, ect. Don't forget to register online and use a referral to get the $25 bonus, you won't get it if you register in-store.

spacecowboy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I guess I should consider myself lucky that there was no one there when I went today!

It was a typically busy mall, but 7pm on a Wednesday night though.

chrisbasm
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Publicly_Mobile  - Hope you were able to pick up a SIM at another retailer (WOW Mobile, London Drugs, etc).

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Publicly_Mobile wrote:

Just wanted to echo the other reviews regarding service at Wal-Mart. I spent a ridiculous amount of time waiting in line to buy my $10 SIM card. Apparently of all the employees they have working in the electronics department only one is permitted to sell anything related to mobile phones. I went to two different locations and both times waited more than 30 minutes without even being acknowledged by the salesperson before leaving empty handed.

The mobile phone departments are a third party company and not Walmart Staff so that is why it is only 1 person able to do that.  Most Walmarts have not been selling a sim without activation anyway and with a retail activation, you do not qualify for the $25 referral credit.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.