cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

!!! Scam Alert - Amazon SIM cards !!!!

hellome
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Watch the Amazon purchases for sim cards.

Either a referral abuse or sim jacking.

Edit: As some would just brush this off as nothing, a third party service should not offer phone porting for you. Just go online and do it yourself.

Edit2: For more info -> https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/blog/20200312/

edited by computergeek541: removed picture so that it doensn't serve as advertising to bring the person more business/referrals

19 REPLIES 19

@hellome ah 289 thanks. Ya Links to Kmobile in Oshawa.

In any event. The sim card is good. They can't do anything with it.

You can activate it yourself via the activation link.

@hellome wrote:

The phone number links to a small third party mobile shop in Toronto - 289xxxxxxx. This still doesn't mean it is a safe authentic business. Few dollars cheaper than retail and free credit offers? Questionable at best.

+1. Avoid!!

hellome

The phone number links to a small third party mobile shop in Toronto area - 289xxxxxxxxx. This still doesn't mean it is a safe authentic business. Few dollars cheaper than retail and free credit offers? Questionable at best.

edited by computergeek541: removed seller's phone number as to not provided free advertising for that person

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@hellome that sticker. It's hard to make out.

Is the area code 283? Cause that's weird. Google says that's an Ohio area code. 🤔

@hellome you don't have to call them. Just take the sim card and go to link below to activate it yourself.

https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

If you got a referral code from a friend use it for a $10 signup bonus.

There sticker is most likely wanting you to call so they can use their referral code.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

It always buyer beware. Taking advantage of a free sim offer is not worth it IMO if you value your privacy. If you shop around you can purchase PM sim cards for as low as $1.99 and if you need a referral just ask here.

hellome

But we do still have to be careful as we share our information for phone number porting. There is no reason for a third party to be doing that service for you. There are porting scams out there.

hellome

That is the one.

@ccdevmike wrote:

@computergeek541 

So this appears to be an individual selling cards on amazon and not a business doing this? 

Thanks for the info!

It could be a business or an individual. To me, that doesn't really make a difference. Most likely, there is no intention to defraud, and the seller is only try to gain referrals.. As the sim card has been received, I see there as not much of an issue as long as the sim card is valid. No one is being forced to do anything.

ccdevmike
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

was this the ad on amazon?

edited by computergeek541: removed sale page so that it doesn't act as advertising/referral harvesting for the seller

ccdevmike

@computergeek541 

So this appears to be an individual selling cards on amazon and not a business doing this? 

Thanks for the info!

@ccdevmike wrote:

Sorry what's the issue here?

I would say that the concerns are:

-the seller getting a referral (which quite honestly, Public Mobile wouldn't have an issue with

-seller possibly not making sure that the buyer gets the credits

- buyer uncomfortable with providing account information to seller

-buyer not feeling that seller should get a possible activation commission

We have to be careful about accusing people of wrong doing. Nothing illegal is being done here unless it can be proven otherwise.

It's likely they want you to call so they can sign you up with a their referral code.

Just use the sim card and your own referral code if you have one.

hellome

Isn't the offer a little odd?

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@hellome if the sim card looks ok and never was taken from the form, it should okay. Looks like a seller just trying to get some referrals.

ccdevmike

Sorry what's the issue here?

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Wow that's a new one I haven't heard of anyone saying they've experienced a sticker like that in a SIM card. It's always best to go to a retail location to buy your sim card and activate at home to ensure the security of your account and your phone number.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@hellome 

I have ordered a few off amazon recently. I always made sure that they were fulfilled by Amazon and had the Amazon Choice logo on the item. My items were in good condition with no 3rd party stickers.

@hellome This isn't a scam unless the seller doesn't follow through on the promises.

Need Help? Let's chat.