cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retailer refused to sell me a SIM card.

aciccone
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just an FYI to Public Mobile. I went to purchase a SIM card today to activate a new phone for a family member. The closest retailer was MEGA MART at

2104 54 AVE SW CALGARY AB. I was told that I was not able to purchase a card unless they activated it at the store. This is not what is advertised by Public Mobile on the corporate website. I am under the understanding that I purchase the card at the retailer and activate it myself. I had to go to three other stores to find a card as apparently there is short stock around the city. I did finally get one and the guy had no issues selling it to me. I'm not one to complain, I just want to make sure that there is clarity between all retailers and customers; to avoid any confusion in the future. 

37 REPLIES 37

Shelbb95
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Wow!

I am so sorry that happened to you!! I can’t believe they did that. You most certainly are correct, we should be able to purchase the sim and activate it ourselves!!

@Smile24x7 

I think CCS just explained it weird....as they said to you ....you just won't see your bill for next month. Meaning you won't have to pay for next month.....whatever that amount happens to be either $50, $25 or $15. In their minds you activated the $50 plan so they figure you will continue with the $50 plan but once you are activated their job is done. Now pm takes over, they will add the 30 day credit equal to the rate plan you activated on in the next 30 business days (this is poor wording by pm its 30 days)onto your account. You can already see your billing for your first renewal in your account and all you will have to do is schedule a plan change to your desired plan but as I said preferably after you recieve the credit but before your next renewal.

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Like really...who is going to ask all their friends, family and  acquaintances  what mobile service do you have?  So you can give me a referral. 

Whatever floats your boat, @LurganIeUk 

Some families communicate, some don't.   I know I'd rather benefit a sibling or parent or offspring who I might know is using Public Mobile before some stranger just trying to make a buck/month forever.

Seems to be a touchy subject area for ya.  Happy you found a friend on Craigslist.  

Smile24x7
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@darlicious 
So apparently the CCS told me that the Free 2nd month promotion is valid, but in a way that I will not see my bill for the second month, instead of us receiving credits like you mentioned.. I was really hoping to get credits so that I can switch the plan as I barely need 8.5GB data or dial anyone much..So wanting to check with you which is true? 😃

Thanks,

Gina

This is kind of pointless. If you know someone because that told you about their PM plan and what the rewards were about.....great.....ask. Otherwise some might be very protective about any of their personal dealings....who knows they might be ashamed of admitting they are on Fido...complaints are up approx 50%. I have friends from work Coast to Coast but.......I found a real nice guy on Craigslist and he helped me through the start up....now a friend. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LurganIeUk : It can be a bit of a touchy financial kind of topic to bring up. So you wait for it to come up somehow naturally as everyone likes to harp about their cell service on occasion (or steer the conversation if you're so skilled) and then mention the options out there and your own experience.

But one experience I had with that approach was as soon as I mentioned that I get a little reward for them coming over...that was it. Done. Topic over.

It's always an interesting argument whether you should only give the code to someone you know or if you can give to someone on the street.

I know PM has some fine print saying you should give it to people you know.  However, business is business, I don't think PM really cares as long as you are bringing them business, as long as you are not activating an unreasonable numbers.

Like really...who is going to ask all their friends, family and  acquaintances  what mobile service do you have?  So you can give me a referral. 

OK, @LurganIeUk - to each one's own.

I'm just proposing that it makes more sense for a prospective customer to accept a referral code from someone they may know instead of a random seller of a SIM card online who's gonna get $1/cycle for as long as they're a PM customer.

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Meow wrote:

Get PM SIM on eBay for a $0.99 or less with free shipping from Canadian seller. Catch is, they will provide you with SIM number, you have to activate it using their referral code and then they will send SIM to you.

I can refer you to reliable seller (I do not sell anything on eBay) if you wan to go that route.

@Meow @Yummy 

I suppose if you're desperate to get one, sure.   However giving the referral to someone else as a condition to purchasing a SIM card is not something I'd ever do.

The OP should get one themselves and give someone they know (family, close friend) that $1.00/cycle referral bonus for as long as they're a customer.   

Why pad someone else's pocket?

@HALIMACS 

When you don't know someone or just want to do on your own then Craigslist or eBay is a good deal.  Some are giving 2 cards and only ask that you activate 1. If you just went to a store and activated on your own.....you could have saved $20 on a free or 99 cent SIM!!!!!!

That is what I did and would do again if I had to. 

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@aciccone 

You have London Drugs in Calgary. And they will offer to activate but absolutely no hassle to buy outright and take home and activate yourself. 

@computergeek541 

You are probably right....maybe they are erring on the side of caution.

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

Heres the confusion on this.....as I wanted to do an activation tomorrow so I asked CCS to clarify the end date for them ( could the dates be retailer specific?) and they were very clear that it was March 30th not March 31st.

When you read the terms and conditions on the page that you register your email the spoiler states the following:

Offer available to new activations in-store and online, effective March 19, 2021 until March 31, 2021 at 11:59PM ET. To redeem this offer in-store, make sure you activate before March 31, 2021 in-store. 

I'm willing to wager that's a mistake in wording. In-store activations don't qualify for the extended activation period for online activations that's partially in place to allow time for SIM card shipments to arrive. It wouldn't make any sense to have to seperate dates of March 30 and March 31.

@computergeek541 

Heres the confusion on this.....as I wanted to do an activation tomorrow so I asked CCS to clarify the end date for them ( could the dates be retailer specific?) and they were very clear that it was March 30th not March 31st.

When you read the terms and conditions on the page that you register your email the spoiler states the following:

Offer available to new activations in-store and online, effective March 19, 2021 until March 31, 2021 at 11:59PM ET. To redeem this offer in-store, make sure you activate before March 31, 2021 in-store. 

@darlicious wrote:

@Smile24x7 

Actually I recieved an email to my query from them and they confirmed its tonight at 11:59:59pm est. About two hour from now.....so they fall under the "retailer" category.

Are you referring to the in-store activation deadline to receive the free 30 days? That's not for about another 24 hours.

@Smile24x7 

Actually I recieved an email to my query from them and they confirmed its tonight at 11:59:59pm est. About two hour from now.....so they fall under the "retailer" category.

Smile24x7

According to them, it’s 31 March from their end. My guess is perhaps because they are reseller. 

@Smile24x7 

Hey thats awesome....was the deadline to activate with them March 31st or April 16th?

Smile24x7

Many thanks you two @darlicious & @cellphoneuser1 ! 

@darlicious yeap the owner is very nice! Thanks to you, my purchase was smooth. The CCS owner called to make sure I am aware of the deadline and will help me activating 😊 

@Smile24x7 Information about the free service offer won't be on the reward rule help page. Rewards are discounts given during renewals from autopay, referrals, community participation, and loyalty.

@Smile24x7 

Your welcome. I chatted with the owner to clarify some things. They are very friendly and if you order the sim won't get mailed til monday morning so contact him tomorrow for any additional questions on his end of the activation.

Smile24x7

Thank you @darlicious !
I couldn’t find it anywhere on the PM’s reward rules page, but I do hope this works 🙏🏻

@Smile24x7 

The conditions of the promotion regarding your question are as follows :

1. The credit value that you will receive will be equal to the price of the rate plan on which you activated your SIM card. This credit will cover the rate plan cost only. It will not cover additional costs such as Add-Ons.

Smile24x7

Thank you @darlicious , you’re genius 😃

but do we know for sure the second month free promo from PM will be in credit balance of $50? 

@Smile24x7 

Heres the lowdown....order the $50 plan from Canadian Cell supplies. They offer a 50% discount ($25) on your first month and a free sim card. Either have them activate it upon ordering or wait for it ti arrive in the mail (5 business days via Canada post.) If you intend to activate after recieving the sim card make sure you confirm with them that you will still qualify for the second 30 days free promotion if activating thru them after March 31st and make sure you have registered your email for the promo on pm's website. Then follow the CCS procedure for them to activate the sim card.

Once you are all set upon the $50 plan schedule a plan change (preferably after you recieve your $50 plan credit but you may have to wait til your renewal to recieve it so schedule it on day 29 if necessary) to the plan you want...$15 plan? If so the math will work out as follows :

You pay CCS $25+tax and recieve a free sim card and the $50/8.5gb plan. Pm will credit your account $50+$10 (bonus referral credit)+$4 ($2+$2=$4 autopay reward)=$64 You change to the $15 plan on your first renewal. $64-$15=$49+$2 (autopay)=$51-$15=$36+$2=$38-$15=$23 $23+$2=$25-$15=$10+$2=$12 You add $3 to your account=$15-$15=$0 That will cover your 6th month of service. Total cost for your first 180 fays of service is $25+$3=$28+tax depending on your provincial tax rate the total cost will range between $29.40 to $32.20.

Smile24x7

@darlicious Can you tell me more on how to get the scheduled plan (of $15) for 5 months for $3”? I couldn’t follow through what you explained there..

Thanks a lot! 

@Meow @Yummy 

Better yet order tne $50 plan from CCS discounted by 50% ($25) and recieve a free sim card in the mail 5 business days later. Combine it with the current pm second 30 days free promo and a scheduled plan change to the $15 plan and you will get unlimited calling/texting and 8.5gb of data for your first 30 days and 5 more months of service ($15 plan) all for $30.....or about $5/30 days!! And you can still use your friend's referral code!

@Meow wrote:

Get PM SIM on eBay for a $0.99 or less with free shipping from Canadian seller. Catch is, they will provide you with SIM number, you have to activate it using their referral code and then they will send SIM to you.

I can refer you to reliable seller (I do not sell anything on eBay) if you wan to go that route.

@Meow @Yummy 

I suppose if you're desperate to get one, sure.   However giving the referral to someone else as a condition to purchasing a SIM card is not something I'd ever do.

The OP should get one themselves and give someone they know (family, close friend) that $1.00/cycle referral bonus for as long as they're a customer.   

Why pad someone else's pocket?

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@Meow wrote:

Get PM SIM on eBay for a $0.99 or less with free shipping from Canadian seller.

I can confirm it works exactly as described. Received my SIM in 3 days!

Need Help? Let's chat.