cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retailer refused to sell me a SIM card.

aciccone
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just an FYI to Public Mobile. I went to purchase a SIM card today to activate a new phone for a family member. The closest retailer was MEGA MART at

2104 54 AVE SW CALGARY AB. I was told that I was not able to purchase a card unless they activated it at the store. This is not what is advertised by Public Mobile on the corporate website. I am under the understanding that I purchase the card at the retailer and activate it myself. I had to go to three other stores to find a card as apparently there is short stock around the city. I did finally get one and the guy had no issues selling it to me. I'm not one to complain, I just want to make sure that there is clarity between all retailers and customers; to avoid any confusion in the future. 

37 REPLIES 37

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Good info,  @aciccone 

It is true that these places make money off activations, not just selling the SIM card. 

I would suspect that they will continue to carry the SIM card as part of their broader relationship with TELUS.

I've had great success purchasing and receiving SIM cards through canadiancellsupplies.com PLUS they frequently discount their SIM cards for anywhere from $1 to $3 and there is no shipping nor minimum purchase limit.

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think it also depends on the person at the counter as well. Most of them just want easy work and no headaches. I remember when I was looking to move to PM I went to the local walmart and the first associate had to ask a second slightly older associate if I could purchase PM sim card. In the end they said that they dont like to sell them because they have had too many problems upon activation (which in a way is true) but then they went on to telling me about other companies and their affordable plans lol. 

@aciccone 

That is unfortunate....but it is common place in retail locations that are big and end in "mart". Generally speaking many pm customers have had very good experiences activating or just buying a sim card at London drugs, TMS and Wow mobile to name a few.....reviewing your retail experience at MegaMart will help pm evaluate tbeir retail partners when it comes to renewing their partnerships.

But you made it, you are here now so.....Welcome to public mobile!

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@aciccone :Thank you for warning everyone here about this, the more people that avoid that place the better.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aciccone : Welcome to PM. If you used a referral code at activation then you should see the $10 credit before 3 days but usually overnight.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

It is unfortunate that you have experienced this.  As mentioned it is hard for PM to control the retailers as many operate the same way and say they can't just sell a sim card.  Glad that you did find one and I hope the at-home activation went smoothly

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@aciccone 

Retailers are suppose to sell you the SIM card without activation.  Dealers get a commission when they activate a SIM card for a customer. It is hard for Public mobile to control independent dealers.  

You can leave a review for that particular store.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/store-locator

Need Help? Let's chat.