cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retail location selling Public Mobile sim for $5

pstepseric
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey everyone, 

I know some people are looking to pick up sim cards to activate by July 9 to take advantage of the $40 4.5GB and $45 5.5GB plans. There is a retail store selling Public Mobile sim cards for $5 plus tax. I picked one up yesterday for a friend and I can confirm they are brand new and ready to be activated. I figure I would post this for anyone looking for sim card and wants to save $5 (price for a public mobile sim is $10 at other locations like Walmart). The store is located at Markham and Steeles on the border of Scarborough and Markham, so it may be best for anyone on the east side of the GTA. They say they have a lot in stock. Here is the store info:

Vision Mobile

3341, Markham Road, Unit - B119

Scarborough, ON

M1X-0A5

416-844-1111

The store is located in a South Asian plaza. The guy there was nice and easy to deal with. Hope this helps anyone looking for a Public Mobile sim. 

8 REPLIES 8

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

I have purchased a few from this location but alas after trying for at least a couple of months, they no longer have any. They keep saying they will be getting some and to try back again next week, but they never materialize. Oh, well. Was good while it lasted.

JFF
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thank you very much for the detailed info although I just ordered one online.  Any kinds of sharing should be highly appreciated. 

Orz
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Good to know, I will be around there later today hope there's still some left.

I am getting the extra sims just in case my father's phone is lost so I can swap him with a new phone + sim asap. That happened in the past and I found having an extra siim card around is very handy.

That SIM card charge came in after I did my test for 10 days in Dec 2015, and just after I requested a second SIM in May 2016’ to get ready for joining in July 2016.

At first, the $10 was refundable upon activation. 

Vision Mobile isn't the same as Visions (a more well known electronics company) if anyone is wondering.

What I can say is this:  I do not believe that they are authorized retailer of these sim cards.  Moderators should be able to tell us if they are.  That doesn't mean that they is anything wrong with them selling them - just that they are not an official retail channel source for these sim cards.

As for these old envelopes, that could mean that they either got these sim cards for free or for $5.  Most people probably would not care about that as long as the sim cards work.

On a side note, sim cards during the Fall Promo 2016 promotion were not free.  But, there was a time before that when they were free to anyone.

pstepseric
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No strings attached as far as I know. He didn't ask me to use his number or any number as a referral. He just said here's the sim card and you can just activate yourself online. They came in the old envelopes (envelope sealed) with a welcome letter, the same ones when the old promo of $120 for 12 GB of LTE data and province-wide calling and unlimited texting for 90 days. I believe the store must have been able to get a whole bunch of these sims for free back then. I think these are the older sims from that promotion but I had no problem activating it. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Interesting that retailers are selling SIM cards as a lost leader. There must be a catch.  What strings are attached with this sale?  $5 savings is not a lot if this location is not along the beaten path.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Thanks for the heads up. I have a buddy in that area contemplating jumping on board...and who am I to turn down a referral reward 😁

Need Help? Let's chat.