cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retail location refused to sell me a Sim.

Pilot172
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Went to the nearest retail store as per Public Mobile's website, they refused to sell me a SIM card.  Saying I must activate a plan with them then pay $10 for a Sim. I don't want give the store my personal and credit card information. I explained I wanted to activate online directly with Public Mobile. Why will aren't they allowed to sell me a Sim, when it state on website go to retail location to get a sim as an option?   Thanks for wasting my time and gasoline.   Not a good start for a potential customer. 

19 REPLIES 19

palantbon

I did the same ordered from amazon prime 2 SIM cards and was up and running in 2 days.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

A few times I've tried to get a SIM card from a local retailer, I've run into them literally not having stock.. So I've made a point of calling to verify they have some before heading in.

PS: Heya @Pilot172 from a fellow Geocacher, Public Mobile is great for this hobby in our province!

Rulkanbetty

Not sure where you're from. But I went to three places to get my SIM card today. 1st Walmart (sold out) then superstore (sold out) then London drugs (had many) not one retailer told me I had to sign up there. I'm sorry this happened to you. Hopefully try another? And call 1st to save money and gas. 😊

dboxtvinfo715
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

sim can be replaced. its your account login panel dashboard

dboxtvinfo715

just be patient, order it Amazon, once you get sim, your in community for help. 

take advantage of sale

Terms and conditions
1 - Limited time offer, effective December 20 2019. Offer available to new customers who activate online and in-store. Offer is stackable with other promotions.

The one-time credit amount will be equal to the plan activated on and will be automatically applied. Please note the one-time credit will be added to the account within 30 days of activation. This offer is subject to change without notice.

@pmmobile wrote:
The store obviously wanted to make the activation fee from PM.. does anyone know how much stores receive?

Yeah, it seems likely they wanted whatever that cut happens to be, but I expect they also make a cut off the price of the SIM itself.... in any case, given that self-activation is a "thing" on PM, it's kind of a sleazy tactic to simply refuse to sell a customer a SIM. Smiley Mad

pmmobile
The store obviously wanted to make the activation fee from PM.. does anyone know how much stores receive?

@Emmamcc902 wrote:

I'm assuming this retailer was Walmart?!

If you re-read the 1st page, two of us already speculated it was Wally World, and the OP said it wasn't.... didn't say who the retailer was, but just that it wasn't Walmart.

hinamirza
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Usually I buy from WOW . 

Emmamcc902

I'm assuming this retailer was Walmart?! Lol! They did this with me and Injust ordered one online through PM. It's your safest bet!!

Bettycaligiuri

If you can wait a week for shipping, I recommend buying your SIM from amazon. I bought mine from there and it worked perfectly when I went to set it up. They are on sale right now for $6.99! Here is the link: https://www.amazon.ca/Public-Mobile-Card-Unlocked-Phones/dp/B07R6P5KBB/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=publi...

They also include a referral code that will save you $10 OR you can use someone else's referral code and also save $10 plus give them a referral bonus 😄 

Hope you get your SIM card soon! 🙂

@Pilot172 wrote:

Went to the nearest retail store as per Public Mobile's website, they refused to sell me a SIM card.  Saying I must activate a plan with them then pay $10 for a Sim. I don't want give the store my personal and credit card information. I explained I wanted to activate online directly with Public Mobile. Why will aren't they allowed to sell me a Sim, when it state on website go to retail location to get a sim as an option?   Thanks for wasting my time and gasoline.   Not a good start for a potential customer. 

I agree that a retail store should sell the the sim card, expeicailly if you're waiing to pay for the sim card and not ask for it for free or anything like that. The strange part is how the store surely doesn't pay anywhere close to $10 for the sim card, so i would think this is just easy money if the transaction takes 30 seconds.

I do feel bad that you wasted your time going to that store, but when someone wants to activate at home to begin with, I see the entire process of going to the store to get a sim card as a waste of time.  Unless you're under some type of time constraint (such as when a promotion is expiring soon), I would say that most of the time, it's probably easier for most customers to order online.  

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Pilot172 well then... Maybe try a Walmart see if you have better luck!   If you need one right away to get the promos I can send you  a Sim card number and mail it to you

Pilot172

Thanks.  I just left a negative review.  
Also, not Walmart. 

@will13am wrote:

@Pilot172 retail partners are not allowed to force you to activate with them.  I suggest giving them a review in the store locator so that Public Mobile can take action.  

Thanks for the pointer! I JUST did that, for the London Drugs in my area - the rep I talked to was helpful, but unaware of some pertinent info, that someone working the cell phone dept. really ought to know. 👎 

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Pilot172 do you have a superstore or a London drugs  around where you live? 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Pilot172 retail partners are not allowed to force you to activate with them.  I suggest giving them a review in the store locator so that Public Mobile can take action.  

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

Let me guess...umm... er... oh I've got it WALMART.

You aren't the first to report this scenario! Most other dealers will sell you a SIM Card. London Drugs, WOW Mobile, the Mobile Shop (in some Loblaws, No Frills, Superstore),  some Koodo dealers....

AE_Collector

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

Was said retail location perhaps a Walmart? I ask, because someone else mentioned some shady behaviour by their local Walmart cell counter rep.

When I picked up a PM SIM, at the local London Drugs, they wanted to activate the account for me too, but since I didn't have my account # from my previous provider, they sold me the SIM, but warned me if something went wrong when I activated it online, they COULD NOT replace the SIM for me.

Need Help? Let's chat.