cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Purchasing SIM's at Walmart

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but for anyone looking to join Public Mobile (particularly in the Calgary/Airdrie area), I’m pleased to say I finally found a Walmart where the sales associate in electronics affirmed that they can/will sell a Public Mobile SIM card by itself without activation. This was at the Airdrie Walmart, and there was even co-branded posters/areas with Telus/Koodo/PM info visible.

(Rationale for this post is that my previous experience when I was initially looking for a SIM card through Walmart was fruitless and frustrating, and I ended up going to the WOW! Boutique instead).

I’m not sure if this represents a shift in what Walmart employees understand, but at least it presents as another viable option again. Only downside is that you definitely get a sense that commissions are higher with Lucky or Chatr, based on the “push” to go that route. I said I’m already on PM and happy, and was just checking, and went on my way...

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I can confirm that Burlington Walmart Super Centre on Brant ST will sell them without activation.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

FYI...The Walmart at Calgary's Westbrook Mall refused to sell me a PM sim card without having it activated in the store.  I ended up driving to a WOW boutique 15 minutes away (Market Mall). 

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just this week I was at a Walmart in Richmond Hill where they were initially not willing to sell just the sim card.  I pressed further given that I don't have my referrer's number on me right now and would like to do the activation at home with my referrer's information.  

In the end, the Walmart rep relented and sold me two sim cards.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Watched the rep at Wallmart fill it in.. it was exactly the same as when you self register. I did not see any special access.

In my case the Walmart rep was helpful, and did all the work for me. He even sugested the second sim be used to refer the first, he did that too!

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This looks like a good place to comment on my recent in store SIM purchase

I bought TWO cards at Wal-Mart in Abbotsford BC (highstreet) today without incident.... they did ask twice about activating in store, very nice of them, but I said they were spares and that I would activate as needed at home.

I will make a point to order a couple SIM cards from PM directly by mail, so that I do in fact have spares for my wife and I (you never know when a phone will get thrown into the garbage at McDonalds <cough>Cynthia</cough>. Smiley Wink Oh, and maybe for those time limited refer a friend deals (I now have 3 completed, looking for # 4 and #5 by May 10th!)

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Almost the exact same experience this morning at Trinity Walmart in Moncton as @Wormie's post above.  Very frustrating.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is it possible that the walmart folks are using themselves as a referal # in order to get their own bill down and thats why they don't want to sell the SIM outright?  I had a half hour debate about a purchase of 2 SIMs yesterday and afterwards I wondered if thats why they want to activate them in store.  It has to be more than just sales targets.

Oracle

@Hitch wrote:

Is it possible that the walmart folks are using themselves as a referal # in order to get their own bill down and thats why they don't want to sell the SIM outright?  I had a half hour debate about a purchase of 2 SIMs yesterday and afterwards I wondered if thats why they want to activate them in store.  It has to be more than just sales targets.

No i do d think that is the reason. They will sell the Sims w/o actvation.  And they will put in the referral number you want.

They do however make I believe  $5/ activation. 

Mayor / Maire

@mimmo wrote:

@Hitch wrote:

No i do d think that is the reason. They will sell the Sims w/o actvation.  And they will put in the referral number you want.

They do however make I believe  $5/ activation. 

I also heard that the Walmart rep does make some commission for each activation.  Not much, but something....