cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Purchasing SIM's at Walmart

There goes the local sources for purchasing replacement sim cards if the retail stores are sticking to this mandatory activation policy.

I fully undrestand someone purchasing the sim from Walmart if they are already there, but as talked about earlier in this thread, who wants to walk through a huge department store,  stand at the counter to have the activation done, and give the store employee all of your personal information when this can be much more easily done at home?  There goes any chances at a quick in-and-out and activating at your leisure.  Unless you were in a hurry, you might as well just have Public Mobile mail the sim to you.

Oracle

@mimmowrote:

@ShawnC13 the Walmart guy at uptown(they are their own company) said it started about 2 weeks ago.

Crazy I don't think they would have access to the system I think they would have to go online as well.  I can't see how this fragile backend could allow for multiple outside agencies accessing it and working in it (LOL)

* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *
Oracle

I didn't completely understand the guy because i beleive  he mentioned both access the backend and ability to call someone at PM to fix things.

I'm assuming he meant calling into "a 611 type call center" and getting things fixed while waiting instead of needing to message mods.

Hopefully the higher ups will provide some clarity.

@ShawnC13wrote:

@mimmowrote:

@ShawnC13 the Walmart guy at uptown(they are their own company) said it started about 2 weeks ago.

Crazy I don't think they would have access to the system I think they would have to go online as well.  I can't see how this fragile backend could allow for multiple outside agencies accessing it and working in it (LOL)

I wonder if they're just going to publicmobile.ca and just filling out the same forms we would at home.

Mayor / Maire

@Manawrote:

That doesn't make sense even from Walmart point of view. 

Why would they want to put an effort in setting up someone's account if there's nothing in it for them?

Obviously there is something in it for them.

Perhaps they get a kickback for each successful SIM activation, or for reaching a certain threshold percentage of successful SIM activations.

Perhaps it's Walmart-internal motivations, employees or departments are rewarded for outperforming their peers.

Perhaps it's preemptive self-interest, Walmart realizes that as the SIM vendor it is also the assumed point of contact where frustrated customers will return with any issues or demands.

Perhaps Walmart simply doesn't have any experience with PM or know exactly how to proceed, so they follow whatever policies and protocols they've established with Telus/Koodo.

I can imagine all sorts of reasons for Walmart establishing policies beyond what is strictly required in their arrangement with PM/Telus.  Some beneficial, some malign, but I think in reality Walmart's reasons will be selfish or ignorant - they just don't know how they're expected to proceed so they're being cautious.  The last thing Walmart wants to do is start turning themselves into a full-time staffed help desk for a company like Public Mobile.

Walmart is also monopsonistic.  The opposite of monopolistic, they're a buyer with so much buying power that they set prices and terms their suppliers sell them.  If you want Walmart to carry your brand then you have to make concessions and abide by their terms, even if their policies differ from yours.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The part that bothers me is Walmart's policy had to come from Public Mobile...   If PM doesn't want people to activate their own SIMs then the entire "Self Serve" model of PM is wrong.  If they still plan on having the customer activate their own SIMs - then why change Walmarts policy?  (So why don't you just have one sent to you by mail - because I don't want to wait!  If someone wants to change to PM - they go to Walmart - get their SIM - and activate it - at home - when they have time.   Please correct this broken policy @Moderator_Team

Oracle

@computergeek541wrote:

I wonder if they're just going to publicmobile.ca and just filling out the same forms we would at home.

Probably. That's how WOW handles it. Part of Walmart strategy is keeping you in the store until you remember, or are enticed, to buy something else.

>>> ALERT: I AM NOT A MODERATOR. JE NE SUIS PAS MODERATEUR.
Retraité / Retired

Hey, 

We are sorry to hear that you were told you could only purchase a SIM card if you activated in-store, but do appreciate that you brought it to our attention. Unfortunately, what you were told is incorrect, as, at this point in time, you are not required to activate your Public Mobile SIM card at any of the retail locations where our SIM card is sold. So, if you would prefer to purchase the SIM card at retail and activate online at home, that is no problem at all.

We will be sure to follow-up with our retail partners to reinforce that this is the case. As you know, our retail partners have only recently begun activating in-store, and training is underway.

Thank you, 

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.
Tags (2)
Oracle

@Shazia_K  thanks for the update.  

It was confirmed at  3 stores  the op store and now both my local stores (Victoria  BC)  I think PM should really look into this and not just follow-up...

also you said "at this point in time, you are not required to activate your sim card...."  does this mean in the near future we will be required to activtivate in stores??   

does this singnal a possible change in direction for PM??

Oracle

@mimmowrote:

@Shazia_K  thanks for the update.  

It was confirmed at  3 stores  the op store and now both my local stores (Victoria  BC)  I think PM should really look into this and not just follow-up...

also you said "at this point in time, you are not required to activate your sim card...."  does this mean in the near future we will be required to activtivate in stores??   

does this singnal a possible change in direction for PM??

Looks like a transition is underway.  It might be a move to reduce the number of activation failures by those who really need a helping hand.  Self service is not for everyone.  Unless they totally do away with self service, retail partners need to be told it's the customers choice not theirs. 

Now the conspiracy theorist in me think this might be the beginning of the end for the community forum concept.  The experiment is over, we are going to do business the old way.  Hope this isn't so.