cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Purchasing SIM's at Walmart

The North London Walmart was hit-and-miss (miss-and-hit, technically!) for me today: I went in earlier, maybe around lunch, and the rep at the phone kiosk wouldn't sell me just the SIMs. Then I tried again around 6, after the shift change (I was driving back home that way), and the new guy was very helpful, and sold me a pair to activate myself.

Retraité / Retired

thank you for sharing this @wfitzpatrick, I'll definitely be forwarding this information to our team Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was able to purchase a SIM without issue at the Calgary Westbrook Walmart.  The guy there was setting up another customer at the time, walking him through the activation screen, and he paused to sell me a SIM.  He asked if I minded waiting and he could set me up, but I told him I wanted to buy the card and do it myself.  He had no issue with that.

I have been to this location through work several times. The staff there is usually great. The manager is usually there during the week and doesn't push people.

A few other great locations I deal with that I would recommend people going to would be Walmart Strathmore, Walmart Airdrie and Walmart Drumheller. I travel for work at multiple locations and notice which locations are great and which ones are so-so.

Yesterday went to the Midland Walmart and tried to purchase a sim card to take home and activate yet was told I had to activate in store. After trying twice to activate it and failing they eventually gave up and allowed me to pay the 10$ and activate at home. Now I went back today to purchase additional sims to activate at home and was told I would not be able to buy anymore sims without activating them instore. Drove home and ordered two sims online to avoid the hassle of them knowing all of my information and potentially messing up the referral numbers.

TLDR: Midland Walmart requiring activations in store. 

Hi everyone,

Just to say I went to walmart supercenter in montreal today and the guy told me they were not in charge of the activation and I had to do it myself. He also used this argument to try to sell me an other product.

Cheers

@VAL2 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Just to say I went to walmart supercenter in montreal today and the guy told me they were not in charge of the activation and I had to do it myself. He also used this argument to try to sell me an other product.

Cheers

Isn't doing it yourself the prefered method for most of us?  I would have just thanked the person and purchased it for the $10.  Unless there is a specific promotion that you can only get by activating at Walmart, I know of zero advantage to activating in store.  In fact, I see it as a disadvantage.  Who wants to stand there for 15 minutes while the person activates your account when you can just do it form the comfort of your home? 

The Walmart Conspiracy (tongue in cheek)

I am in British Columbia and there is a good, so-called promotion at Walmart.

Months ago when I was first considering Public Mobile, the saleman at Walmart tried to scare me off of Public Mobile because:

1. They have no help line.

2. They could mess up me trying to port my number.

Then they tried to promote some other product.  Something is definitely going on...I can smell the stink.  I am no conspiracy buff, but it seems like Walmart or perhaps these independent sales people are against public mobile. (maybe they don't get as much commission?)  I will probably forego the promotion because I fear these guys might goof up on purpose.  Heh Walmart, everthink of  sending  in some secret shoppers and find out what is going on !  

What is happening is very bad PR for Walmart.  I would fire the salemen who are involved in the blink of an eye. 

I plan one more trip to Walmart regarding PMobile and if I get screwed about ..I will haul the manager right to the phone center and confront these guys.  I don't mind a bit of trouble to get rid of the nonsense that goes on in the market place.  Don't respond if you are one of the apathetic Canadians who make a stand for nothing.

I am an international business person and this stuff is common in the market place and stinks.  I could give you many examples of other corporations who say one thing and do another.

Well there's my rant.  I will tell you what happens when I approach Walmart later this week.

Oh the drama.  Better than t.v.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@VAL2 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Cheers

Isn't doing it yourself the prefered method for most of us?  I would have just thanked the person and purchased it for the $10.  Unless there is a specific promotion that you can only get by activating at Walmart, I know of zero advantage to activating in store.  In fact, I see it as a disadvantage.  Who wants to stand there for 15 minutes while the person activates your account when you can just do it from the comfort of your home? 

Tags (1)
Oracle

Re: The Walmart Conspiracy (tongue in cheek)

@yucango  why not just go to london drugs.  they are much nicer to deal with than walmart.

I went to Walmart in Windsor East to purchase a sim and on arrival found a note on the cellphone counter saying would return at 1:20 PM which was 45 minutes away. I went and asked an employee in another department if there was someone else who could help me. They informed me that the clerk who worked in cellphones was not a Walmart employee, but worked for a private company and I would simply have to wait. He did show up at the time specified and he sold me a sim without requiring that it be activated. Still, I would consider this poor customer service on Walmart’s part.