cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing SIM's at Walmart

BlackSky
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am a new customer of Public Mobile (only 2 weeks)... So I thought I would get a friend to switch over - Went to Walmart to purchase a SIM card and was told they can't sell them anymore without activation? I don't want a Walmart employee to create a profile for me - to ask me my address - to ask me my phone number - to ask me my email address. I don't want to stand there at the Walmart computer and scroll through a large list of phone numbers to find one I like. Why the new policy and a third party relaying my personal information?? The other 2 places that your SIMs are available would be at least a 90 minute drive (one way) for me. I changed to Public Mobile - Don't start disappointing me!

124 REPLIES 124

SIMonv2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yesterday went to the Midland Walmart and tried to purchase a sim card to take home and activate yet was told I had to activate in store. After trying twice to activate it and failing they eventually gave up and allowed me to pay the 10$ and activate at home. Now I went back today to purchase additional sims to activate at home and was told I would not be able to buy anymore sims without activating them instore. Drove home and ordered two sims online to avoid the hassle of them knowing all of my information and potentially messing up the referral numbers.

TLDR: Midland Walmart requiring activations in store. 

jjhack84

I have been to this location through work several times. The staff there is usually great. The manager is usually there during the week and doesn't push people.

A few other great locations I deal with that I would recommend people going to would be Walmart Strathmore, Walmart Airdrie and Walmart Drumheller. I travel for work at multiple locations and notice which locations are great and which ones are so-so.

dpodca

I was able to purchase a SIM without issue at the Calgary Westbrook Walmart.  The guy there was setting up another customer at the time, walking him through the activation screen, and he paused to sell me a SIM.  He asked if I minded waiting and he could set me up, but I told him I wanted to buy the card and do it myself.  He had no issue with that.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

thank you for sharing this @wfitzpatrick, I'll definitely be forwarding this information to our team 🙂

Cheers,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

wfitzpatrick

The North London Walmart was hit-and-miss (miss-and-hit, technically!) for me today: I went in earlier, maybe around lunch, and the rep at the phone kiosk wouldn't sell me just the SIMs. Then I tried again around 6, after the shift change (I was driving back home that way), and the new guy was very helpful, and sold me a pair to activate myself.

@mimmo wrote:

@Hitch wrote:

Is it possible that the walmart folks are using themselves as a referal # in order to get their own bill down and thats why they don't want to sell the SIM outright?  I had a half hour debate about a purchase of 2 SIMs yesterday and afterwards I wondered if thats why they want to activate them in store.  It has to be more than just sales targets.

No i do d think that is the reason. They will sell the Sims w/o actvation.  And they will put in the referral number you want.

They do however make I believe  $5/ activation. 

I also heard that the Walmart rep does make some commission for each activation.  Not much, but something....

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Hitch wrote:

Is it possible that the walmart folks are using themselves as a referal # in order to get their own bill down and thats why they don't want to sell the SIM outright?  I had a half hour debate about a purchase of 2 SIMs yesterday and afterwards I wondered if thats why they want to activate them in store.  It has to be more than just sales targets.

No i do d think that is the reason. They will sell the Sims w/o actvation.  And they will put in the referral number you want.

They do however make I believe  $5/ activation. 

Hitch

mctnguy

Almost the exact same experience this morning at Trinity Walmart in Moncton as @Wormie's post above.  Very frustrating.

nrg_svr
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

This looks like a good place to comment on my recent in store SIM purchase

I bought TWO cards at Wal-Mart in Abbotsford BC (highstreet) today without incident.... they did ask twice about activating in store, very nice of them, but I said they were spares and that I would activate as needed at home.

I will make a point to order a couple SIM cards from PM directly by mail, so that I do in fact have spares for my wife and I (you never know when a phone will get thrown into the garbage at McDonalds <cough>Cynthia</cough>. 😉 Oh, and maybe for those time limited refer a friend deals (I now have 3 completed, looking for # 4 and #5 by May 10th!)

horemansus

Watched the rep at Wallmart fill it in.. it was exactly the same as when you self register. I did not see any special access.

In my case the Walmart rep was helpful, and did all the work for me. He even sugested the second sim be used to refer the first, he did that too!

Wormie

Just this week I was at a Walmart in Richmond Hill where they were initially not willing to sell just the sim card.  I pressed further given that I don't have my referrer's number on me right now and would like to do the activation at home with my referrer's information.  

In the end, the Walmart rep relented and sold me two sim cards.

chad2001

FYI...The Walmart at Calgary's Westbrook Mall refused to sell me a PM sim card without having it activated in the store.  I ended up driving to a WOW boutique 15 minutes away (Market Mall). 

brent_liza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I can confirm that Burlington Walmart Super Centre on Brant ST will sell them without activation.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but for anyone looking to join Public Mobile (particularly in the Calgary/Airdrie area), I’m pleased to say I finally found a Walmart where the sales associate in electronics affirmed that they can/will sell a Public Mobile SIM card by itself without activation. This was at the Airdrie Walmart, and there was even co-branded posters/areas with Telus/Koodo/PM info visible.

(Rationale for this post is that my previous experience when I was initially looking for a SIM card through Walmart was fruitless and frustrating, and I ended up going to the WOW! Boutique instead).

I’m not sure if this represents a shift in what Walmart employees understand, but at least it presents as another viable option again. Only downside is that you definitely get a sense that commissions are higher with Lucky or Chatr, based on the “push” to go that route. I said I’m already on PM and happy, and was just checking, and went on my way...

youbme

@Double_Jwrote:

@youbme Unfortunatley, if we dont say anything, these guys will abuse their customers and take advantage of them.

Such is the nature of the beast, shareholders are all that really matter for most corporations...

Double_J

@youbme Unfortunatley, if we dont say anything, these guys will abuse their customers and take advantage of them.

youbme

Well done @Double_J!

You see, this is actually why I still have hope for PM - we do have an amazing community of folks who force transparency when it is lacking. PM could have chosen to continue to ignore the Walmart promotion and community posts, but instead decided to post it on their website for all new customers. Maybe this was already in the works weeks ago, but I do believe that the community pressure played a role here.

Don't underestimate the power we hold as customers.

Double_J

Its official on the PM website.  Probably put it up because of my post.  Only available for new customers.  In store at Walmart or online.

$30/30 DAYS
LIMITED TIME OFFER - NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY
1GB DATA, UNLIMITED TALK & TEXT

Double_J

@Luddite No problem my friend.  Before signing up I asked the community a question about phone compatibility and people responded so quickly.  I was browsing the site trying to find out how to get a free SIM card as I am not to keen on paying $10 to sign up with a company that I will be paying monthly.  I came across Walmart forum where to buy the SIM card as I didnt want to wait for it to be mailed.  I walked into Walmart saw the promo asked about it and the guy said this is best value for money for low useage users.

I asked him if i could get the $30 plan (500 MB) for $25 but he said its only one promo plan rigth now.  I was oringally looking at Freedom Mobile for $25 which included unlimte canada wide calling, international texts, and 250 MB of data (which is enough for what I need it for).  Unfortunately, my phone was not compatible with their network so this was the next best package.

To be honest all these companies are the same, just looking for your money.  Dont forget this is owned by Telus.  Its just a subbrand trying to capture your emotions to stay with them.  Most people are not aware of organizational structures and think that they are leaving Telus for a better future.  In all honesty if I get a better price somewhere else I would leave in a heartbeat.  We have been paying too much for these services for so many years.

Double_J

@youbme All these companies are the same.  They introduce promos to grab customers from other companies and the next month another company introduces promos to take them from others.  

I think Public Mobile does not want to advertise on this forum because you guys were all existing customers.  I didnt know about this forum prior to becoming a client as I there would be no need for me to be on here.  I found the promo in a Walmart store where it should be as customers are there to sign up and want to see promos.  It worked on me and now I am on this board.

To be honest if they advertised this plan on this forum and if its not available for existing customers, I am sure many people would become bitter about paying $35 for the same package.  This will lead to cancellations or for those looking to save will open up a new line and let their existing plan cancel.

CalgaryBen

@Double_Jwrote:

If they didnt offer this plan I wouldnt be a customer on this forum right now. 

In my case, I already had intentions to re-join PM (bought SIM and went home, ready to activate), even without awareness of the awesome plan.  My luck/timing was just good (nearing end of billing cycle with Freedom, and completely dissatisfied with that service) for activating a new line on PM.  Woohoo!

And, I felt it was worth echoing (back to the topic of this thread) that the Walmart experience for me was not great, and I'd recommend most Albertans (at least in and around Calgary) to just skip this avenue and find a WOW Mobile Boutique at a mall, or order your SIM online to be mailed (if you don't mind the wait).  I've chatted with colleagues in town on PM and they share the same sentiment about PM and Walmart.  Apologies to any Walmart locations/reps in town that are actually onboard and do provide unbiased support/sales of PM SIM cards... I just didn't have the fortune of finding you!

I'm definitely the opposite of a high ARPU customer, but a good plan/price definitely provides "stickiness" and wins my loyalty.  This is that plan.  Perfect fit, and the price is unmatched.  And being on a good/reliable network ranks high on my requirements list, so in Alberta, Telus/Koodo/PM is pretty much the answer.  I can't see myself shopping around for the foreseeable future, unless my needs change, or the competitive landscape reshapes things dramatically.  So, kudos to PM for offering a plan that will keep me around for a very long time to come!

@CalgaryBen @Double_J I, for one, really appreciate you taking the time to inform the community. Because Public Mobile no longer values transparency, our community is more valuable than ever in helping us all identify the best deal. 👍 👍   Robot Very Happy

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

s2scotty

I dunno about promo shortfalls,,, the PM guy in the sponge-Bob square pants telephone booth thingie costume stucco'ed in PM SIM cards walking around the Dufferin Mall was ,,, umm ,,, err ,,, okay, there are shortfalls.

😉

youbme

@Double_Jwrote:

They need to build a larger customer base and to do so they need to offer promos just like all the other companies.

I completely agree with you @Double_J, however, the @CS_Agent has been silent (well actually denied the existence of the promo), rather than being aware of an excellent promo that should be promoted to bring in more customers.

I suspect there is a disconnect in communication taking place at Public Mobile, or between the online community and the marketing/sales departments....

Double_J

They need to build a larger customer base and to do so they need to offer promos just like all the other companies.

youbme

@wetcoasterwrote:

@CalgaryBenwrote:

@Korthwrote:

This promo is right at the top of the promo page, lol!

A recent addition?  I don't recall seeing it about a week ago.  (Then again, I tend to pay little attention to the promos and head right for "build your own plan".)

???   That link shows 500 MB of data, not the 1GB that the plan being discussed offers...

Same with the grandfathered 90/90 plan that @Korth referred to above - unless I'm totally mistaken that one is also for 1.5GB/90days and not 1GB/30days.

Just to be clear the grandfathered plan was $90/90days/1gb on LTE and Canada wide texting, currently there is $90/90days/1.5gb on 3g and international txt, both province wide calling.

I used to be on the grandfathered plan but recently switched to the $105/90days/3g plan as it made more sense to me. However, this "retail special" plan beats other offerings at the moment... What's going on PM?? Robot Frustrated

Double_J

Above is proof I am on the plan.

I am a new customer.  I went into Walmart last week looking for a cheap plan.  Almost signed up with Lucky Mobile for the $25 Walmart gift card but decided it wasnt the right plan.  Came back to Walmart a two days ago and saw a new promo sign for Public Mobile.  The guy said it was new and for a limited time with no end date.  Didnt want to take risk of the promo ending so I signed up.  Walmart guy did all the work for me.

To be honest, I had better selection of numbers signing up in store than on the Public Mobile website doing it myself.

I think its for new activations.  I guess you could buy the SIM card and come home and sign up.  The guy told me he doesnt make much money on new activations.  I dont know why so many of you are complaining about the Walmart wireless reps.  In BC they dont push you on anything.  Went to three Walmart's and they were all nice asking me what I needed rather than pushing things on me.  All these guys are in college just working to help people out.

Double_J

image.png

@Korthwrote:

This promo is right at the top of the promo page, lol!

A recent addition?  I don't recall seeing it about a week ago.  (Then again, I tend to pay little attention to the promos and head right for "build your own plan".)

That is the wrong plan. 

@wetcoaster @CalgaryBen The 1GB/$30 plan is only available on the activation portal. It is not available or advertised anywhere else. This is a good sign. PM now has the ability to launch a promo to only new or existing customers only.

Need Help? Let's chat.