cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing SIM's at Walmart

BlackSky
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am a new customer of Public Mobile (only 2 weeks)... So I thought I would get a friend to switch over - Went to Walmart to purchase a SIM card and was told they can't sell them anymore without activation? I don't want a Walmart employee to create a profile for me - to ask me my address - to ask me my phone number - to ask me my email address. I don't want to stand there at the Walmart computer and scroll through a large list of phone numbers to find one I like. Why the new policy and a third party relaying my personal information?? The other 2 places that your SIMs are available would be at least a 90 minute drive (one way) for me. I changed to Public Mobile - Don't start disappointing me!

124 REPLIES 124

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@siriochanoskov sorry but what does your link have to do with buying a sim card?

siriochanoskov
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You can read about Walmart Card here https://convoswithcosmo.com/www-walmart-credit-card-login-page/ For using the Walmart Credit Card Payment and Login you must create an account on walmart.com.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I just asked at my local Wallmart in Laval, QC, and was told that they must activate the SIM in store.

@CS_Agent, I guess the message hasn't been relayed to the stores yet.

Civic_E
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you need a sim card just to go K Mobile https://www.k-mobile.ca/store-locator-phone-store-near-me/

Do not bother going to Wal-Mart or WoW Mobile. Even if they have SIM cards they will say no because they want you to sign up with a post-paid plan.

When i needed a SIM card urgently i went to three different wal-mart location and two of them said we don't sell PM SIM cards and one of the location said they are sold out!!!

Went to two different WOW mobile store...both were sold out!! what are the odds right?

Try K Mobile. They always have PM SIM cards. If you are in Mississauga area, i would suggest going to 30 eglinton ave w location. They even do Top-up without charging extra fee!

@will13amwrote: 

Now the conspiracy theorist in me think this might be the beginning of the end for the community forum concept.  The experiment is over, we are going to do business the old way.  Hope this isn't so. 

I doubt they'll do away with the community forum concept.  It's proven able to resolve (and filter out) tons of common and solvable problems without involving paid support staff.  Perhaps augmenting the DIY self-serve with live support personnel is a good thing, even if PM/Telus pays them some sort of "vendor reward" incentive for providing successful service.

That being said, I think PM customers should always have the choice of retail-service or self-service.  I agree that it would be sad to see the community (and community reward) phased out.  There'd be little point in staying with PM if they evolve into the same species as every other carrier.

@mimmowrote:

@Shazia_K  thanks for the update.  

It was confirmed at  3 stores  the op store and now both my local stores (Victoria  BC)  I think PM should really look into this and not just follow-up...

also you said "at this point in time, you are not required to activate your sim card...."  does this mean in the near future we will be required to activtivate in stores??   

does this singnal a possible change in direction for PM??

Looks like a transition is underway.  It might be a move to reduce the number of activation failures by those who really need a helping hand.  Self service is not for everyone.  Unless they totally do away with self service, retail partners need to be told it's the customers choice not theirs. 

Now the conspiracy theorist in me think this might be the beginning of the end for the community forum concept.  The experiment is over, we are going to do business the old way.  Hope this isn't so. 

mimmo

@Shazia_K  thanks for the update.  

It was confirmed at  3 stores  the op store and now both my local stores (Victoria  BC)  I think PM should really look into this and not just follow-up...

also you said "at this point in time, you are not required to activate your sim card...."  does this mean in the near future we will be required to activtivate in stores??   

does this singnal a possible change in direction for PM??

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey, 

We are sorry to hear that you were told you could only purchase a SIM card if you activated in-store, but do appreciate that you brought it to our attention. Unfortunately, what you were told is incorrect, as, at this point in time, you are not required to activate your Public Mobile SIM card at any of the retail locations where our SIM card is sold. So, if you would prefer to purchase the SIM card at retail and activate online at home, that is no problem at all.

We will be sure to follow-up with our retail partners to reinforce that this is the case. As you know, our retail partners have only recently begun activating in-store, and training is underway.

Thank you, 

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

@computergeek541wrote:

I wonder if they're just going to publicmobile.ca and just filling out the same forms we would at home.

Probably. That's how WOW handles it. Part of Walmart strategy is keeping you in the store until you remember, or are enticed, to buy something else.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

BlackSky

The part that bothers me is Walmart's policy had to come from Public Mobile...   If PM doesn't want people to activate their own SIMs then the entire "Self Serve" model of PM is wrong.  If they still plan on having the customer activate their own SIMs - then why change Walmarts policy?  (So why don't you just have one sent to you by mail - because I don't want to wait!  If someone wants to change to PM - they go to Walmart - get their SIM - and activate it - at home - when they have time.   Please correct this broken policy @CS_Agent

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Manawrote:

That doesn't make sense even from Walmart point of view. 

Why would they want to put an effort in setting up someone's account if there's nothing in it for them?

Obviously there is something in it for them.

Perhaps they get a kickback for each successful SIM activation, or for reaching a certain threshold percentage of successful SIM activations.

Perhaps it's Walmart-internal motivations, employees or departments are rewarded for outperforming their peers.

Perhaps it's preemptive self-interest, Walmart realizes that as the SIM vendor it is also the assumed point of contact where frustrated customers will return with any issues or demands.

Perhaps Walmart simply doesn't have any experience with PM or know exactly how to proceed, so they follow whatever policies and protocols they've established with Telus/Koodo.

I can imagine all sorts of reasons for Walmart establishing policies beyond what is strictly required in their arrangement with PM/Telus.  Some beneficial, some malign, but I think in reality Walmart's reasons will be selfish or ignorant - they just don't know how they're expected to proceed so they're being cautious.  The last thing Walmart wants to do is start turning themselves into a full-time staffed help desk for a company like Public Mobile.

Walmart is also monopsonistic.  The opposite of monopolistic, they're a buyer with so much buying power that they set prices and terms their suppliers sell them.  If you want Walmart to carry your brand then you have to make concessions and abide by their terms, even if their policies differ from yours.

@ShawnC13wrote:

@mimmowrote:

@ShawnC13 the Walmart guy at uptown(they are their own company) said it started about 2 weeks ago.

Crazy I don't think they would have access to the system I think they would have to go online as well.  I can't see how this fragile backend could allow for multiple outside agencies accessing it and working in it (LOL)

I wonder if they're just going to publicmobile.ca and just filling out the same forms we would at home.

mimmo

I didn't completely understand the guy because i beleive  he mentioned both access the backend and ability to call someone at PM to fix things.

I'm assuming he meant calling into "a 611 type call center" and getting things fixed while waiting instead of needing to message mods.

Hopefully the higher ups will provide some clarity.

@mimmowrote:

@ShawnC13 the Walmart guy at uptown(they are their own company) said it started about 2 weeks ago.

Crazy I don't think they would have access to the system I think they would have to go online as well.  I can't see how this fragile backend could allow for multiple outside agencies accessing it and working in it (LOL)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

There goes the local sources for purchasing replacement sim cards if the retail stores are sticking to this mandatory activation policy.

I fully undrestand someone purchasing the sim from Walmart if they are already there, but as talked about earlier in this thread, who wants to walk through a huge department store,  stand at the counter to have the activation done, and give the store employee all of your personal information when this can be much more easily done at home?  There goes any chances at a quick in-and-out and activating at your leisure.  Unless you were in a hurry, you might as well just have Public Mobile mail the sim to you.

@frankdug You should call bell and get your phone unlocked for free (if it's not unlocked already). 

Once you are sure that it is unlocked then please try the PM sim. 

@frankdug I think you have a totally different issue. If your phone was purchased at Bell it is locked to that network and will not work on Public Mobile until it is unlocked.

If you are sure that the phone is unlocked, click this: message to moderators to send a private message to the moderator team with your phone number, account PIN, and an explanation. Moderator hours are: Monday - Friday 9AM (ET) - 9PM (ET); Saturday - Sunday 9AM (ET) - 7:00PM (ET).

If you still need more help please start your own topic here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/getting_started

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mimmo

I think it's the first as they can call and get assistance or have access to back end.  In case of activation issues.

You could always try calling your local walmarts and report back.

BlackSky

Do you think a Moderator will actually read this post?

I don't like wasting time or gas - and did both today because of this new unadvertised misrepresented Public Mobile advert...

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@mimmo yes that's what I was thinking either PM is giving them some incentive or it could be the employees who maybe targeting those who don't know about the referral reward. 

mimmo

@Mana we are now discussing 2 different stores one in Victoria and one where the op is. Both with the same story.  

Why activating? Who knows pm might give them a commission for activating. Wow mobile was activating for free swell.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

That doesn't make sense even from Walmart point of view. 

Why would they want to put an effort in setting up someone's account if there's nothing in it for them?

Maybe the Walmart employee was trying to pull a fast one on you to collect all the referrals under their name. 

mimmo

We obviously need clarification as to many different user experiences going on!!  When I bought my SIM there they made it very clear they were in no way supporting it or activating it

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

frankdug
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

i just purchased a sim card at Walmart in St-jerome and i got home to start activation, i did everything that was asked and i got the telephone number that was generated by the system and all but as soon as i put the sim card in the Iphone it tells me that the sim card is not taken in charge or iphone blocked ask your operator to unblocked your iphone.

i was using this phone 1 week ago with bell mobility why cant i just put a sim card in and use it

mimmo

@BlackSky it is really no different then if you activated a plan with koodo Telus etc... The issue is you should be allowed as before to buy a sim and activate it at home as before.

BlackSky

I am disappointed that I have to stand in the aisle at Walmart - and while people are around - give out all my personal information.  This is REALLY encrouching on my personal privacy.  When I got my first SIM I did it online no issues.   Why the change Public Mobile?  @CS_Agent

mimmo

wow, so I just calledmy local walmart and what a shock.  

1. they only sell sim cards with activations
  2. they have access to the back end or access to call someone (didnt understand which)  if issues with activation occur
  3. no charge for activations
  4. happened 2 weeks ago ish

@BlackSky sorry for giving you misleading information

@Dave_M@Brooke_C@CS_Agent,  Is this not information people should be infrormed about?  Especially since PM has a desire to be transparent???

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@BlackSky, I suggest you private message the moderator team and inform them of the Walmart that has this strange policy of activating the service for the customer.  That is not a condition for purchasing the SIM card for this service.  This differs from other services that may require activation at point of sale.  The moderator team need to investigate and correct the store on proper conduct.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Refer to the following link for information on contacting the moderator team.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Modera...

BlackSky

When you get the SIM you need to activate it online (mine was self serve) but you can't anymore.  They (Walmart) have to do it for you - or else - you aren't getting a SIM.

Need Help? Let's chat.