cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile in Vancouver

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

I was curious today after reading a post about calling public mobile so I decided to Google public mobile to see what came up. I was surprised by what came up. I also checked the pm store locator to see that the address matched a retail location listed. Interesting....comments?Screenshot_20191231-014518_Google.jpgScreenshot_20191231-014534_Google.jpgScreenshot_20191231-014705_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20191231-014720_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20191231-014728_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20191231-014740_Chrome.jpg

70 REPLIES 70

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I am going to apply my great but really short memory here.  IIRC during the early days of going retail, Public Mobile tried doing their own branded stores.  I thought they had 5 locations, don't recall where.  Perhaps those with lots of time and energy can turn over a few stones in the community forum and find something on this file.

@CannonFodder wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

@CannonFodder 

Myers Rum and coke is good for that!

Uhm..... what!? 🤔  Should I go re-read the entire thread, to see WTF you're referring to, or did you mean to direct that at someone else?

No need to read the thread again. 

I find Rum and Coke very "relaxing".

AE_Collector

@CannonFodder  Upon further research it does appear that all three of these cellphone repair/resellers are authorized dealers of public mobile although I cant confirm this but they are on pm's store locator map so I will assume that is correct. The issue at hand is unlike the store locator map that lists the real business name their Google business listing is as public mobile only. Making it seem as they are owned and run by public mobile rather than an independent business that sells pm SIM cards and service. That is a misrepresentation of their business and of public mobile.

I also randomly selected cities across Canada the same way and the only locations that came up similarly were actual public mobile kiosks....in Montreal for example. All other businesses selling public mobile SIM cards, vouchers and/or plans clearly indicated their business names and the nature of their business with their own branding, logos, website designs etc...There is no mistaking that they are not owned and operated by public mobile.

@darlicious wrote:

@CannonFodder  Do you not see what the problem is here?

I'm assuming you're referring to them being listed as "Public Mobile"? If that's what you're talking about, I expect it's probably nothing more than they're PM authorized dealers, likely authorized to use PM's logos, colours, etc., and when you do a search, specifically for "Public Mobile Vancouver", you're going to get results from web sites that have certain key words in their web site design, and in their cases, PM would apparently be two of those key words. I'm not knowledgeable enough on the topic to say for sure, one way or the other, but I suspect this is a classic case of "making a mountain out of a molehill".

@CannonFodder  Hey thanks for the heads up. Now I'm wondering if these two businesses are connected some how. Do you not see what the problem is here? Now I'm going to do a little more digging....

Geez, a few conspiracy theorists around here..... just out of curiosity, to see what results I'd come up with, I just did a Google search, which came up with the 3 listings in the pic, and when you click on each of those places' web sites, all 3 of 'em have boatloads of PM advertising. So they're authorized dealers, and they're promoting PM, something which, I suspect, PM is probably fine with....

PublicMobileGoogleSearch.JPG

@AE_Collector wrote:

@CannonFodder 

Uhm..... what!? 🤔  Should I go re-read the entire thread, to see WTF you're referring to, or did you mean to direct that at someone else?

@darlicious 

I think just a t shirt with a Small but noticible Public Mobile logo would be good.

@CannonFodder 

AE_Collector

@ChuckYeah  Lol...i guess I have a leg up on you.

Sorry, @darlicious I was just off closing a couple of final referals for 2019. But I would have never figured that out. I was in computer retail for almost 10 years with Future Shop and MicroAge where retail is detail and I can't even find the 8 differences in a simple drawing like this.

chicken.png

@NDesai @Anonymous  Should I show up in a power suit with some '80's shoulder pads and running shoes carrying a brief case? I would think reporting them is a good idea....feeling a bit more like a rat than a cat but really...this is blatant. I will visit and report back.

I might just need @srlawren!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NDesai wrote:

@darlicious Would you like us to report them to the PM team or you wanna go visit in person to ask them what they are doing? Smiley LOL

And point at them accusingly with someone dressed in a power suit in tow 🙂

@Anonymous  Yes I am very curious what the actual store will look like. Hopefully curiosity doesn't kill the cat!

@darlicious Would you like us to report them to the PM team or you wanna go visit in person to ask them what they are doing? Let me know if you need a back up. I will send @srlawren  Smiley LOL

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious 

Curiously, cellfixx.ca makes little to no mention of providers. So yes it would be interesting to hear your report of the actual store.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious, I was just about to say that address isn't of a Public Mobile store. Clearly, they want customers to go there because they think that they'll get better service.

@computergeek541  From all appearances they've decked out their website and store in public mobile colours and advertising. I have an appointment  a couple of blocks from there in a few days. To satisfy my curiosity I'm going to pop by and see what up. They are listed on the pm store locator under I'm assuming their registered business name.Screenshot_20191229-074722.png

@darlicious, I was just about to say that address isn't of a Public Mobile store. Clearly, they want customers to go there because they think that they'll get better service.

@Anonymous  See i knew you had it all in hand. Not a big mystery but interesting enough that I thought others and more importantly public mobile might be interested in the obvious copyright infringement and misrepresentation of the public mobile brand. I'm all for the promotion of public mobile and the encouragement of small businesses to thrive. Going by some of the reviews customers of this shop actually think they are a public mobile retail location as do community members. I was quite shocked at the blatant use of pm advertising and that google is displaying it as "Public Mobile cell phone store". This gives the impression its owned and operated by public mobile. I am by no means promoting or sanctioning this business or site but wanted to evaluate a random persons impression.....and you can imagine that when you Google public mobile Vancouver this was the first thing to pop up...not Public mobiles website. Not by a long shot.

Congrats and Merry New Year!

@CannonFodder  you have your easy answer.

This is a shady business practice lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh look...the same outfit also has l****mobileca.business.site.

(self-redacted 🙂 )

Yes, looks like that business used Google website generator (https://www.google.com/intl/en_ca/business/website-builder/) to auto generate a website we all see. However, i do not think its legal to call themselves "Public Mobile" store.

Anonymous
Not applicable

business.site is a product of Google offering websites. An outfit called cellfixx has a site with them and decided to make one of their links be called publicmobileca where I guess apparently they're an authorized retailer for PM.

I would tend to doubt this is a PM entity. PM may very well be interested to know that they're "trading" on many images of PM. Interesting that cellfixx.ca is all "redacted for privacy" in whois.

telus.com and publicmobile.ca have telus written all over them.

I still have no clue why this all had to happen and however the heck it became some big mystery. Do you own and operate cellfixx? Are you self-promoting?

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Intresting! Seems like a "Less for Less" dedicated business that decided to change their store/business name to Public Mobile at least on Google?

@darlicious wrote:

@CannonFodder  and i think public mobile might have something to say....

You say that as though you KNOW something that the rest of us don't, but based on the pics you included, I don't see anything of much interest..... but I guess you'll get around to spillin' the beans...... carry on..... 😜 

@CannonFodder  No worries. Or as the australians say " No wuckin furries." Im just having a little fun and i think public mobile might have something to say....

@darlicious wrote:

Alright folks...being that it's New Years Eve and the community is a littl slow I thought I would provide a " riddle wrapped in a mystery inside of an enigma" but perhaps there is a key to this puzzle.... @Anonymous  was onto it. @AE_Collector  identified parts of it. @pmmobile  wants to find it. @kselmak  and @cavemantoronto  are proving my point of it. @CannonFodder  wants none of it. @computergeek541  can easily get to the bottom of it. I'm going to invite @Ed404 , @ChuckYeah , @popping , @will13am , @Dunkman , @geopublic @hairbag1 and @Dunkgirl  to join in to see if they get the point of one more solution at months end.

You are correct - got zero interest in unraveling your puzzle..... thought you had something to say, and didn't know what that was, so I'll just skip to the solution, whenever it shows up. 🙄 

Alright folks...being that it's New Years Eve and the community is a littl slow I thought I would provide a " riddle wrapped in a mystery inside of an enigma" but perhaps there is a key to this puzzle.... @Anonymous  was onto it. @AE_Collector  identified parts of it. @pmmobile  wants to find it. @kselmak  and @cavemantoronto  are proving my point of it. @CannonFodder  wants none of it. @computergeek541  can easily get to the bottom of it. I'm going to invite @Ed404 , @ChuckYeah , @popping , @will13am , @Dunkman , @geopublic @hairbag1 and @Dunkgirl  to join in to see if they get the point of one more solution at months end.

@CannonFodder  Now what's the point of a little mystery if I just pulled the cat out of the bag? I could of just done that on the original post. Where's the fun in that? I left some clues.....if you want the solution you'll have to work for it.

@AE_Collector  You've correctly identified that part of the website.

@darlicious  Ok, maybe you ought to let us all know what you're getting at..... appears to be nothing more than some cell phone store that also happens to sell Public Mobile stuff, which, by all accounts, is SIMs and services...... you think there's something more afoot here? 🤔 

Need Help? Let's chat.