cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepaid

Fady_mousa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Went to buy new sim card the sailler asked me if im a canadian resident or Visitor the he told me "don't go with public because they are a prepaid  not postpaid " he just made me confused, please could anybody explain what's the disadvantages of using the prepaid plan not postpaid ? 

5 REPLIES 5

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@Fady_mousaIt depends what your needs are, post paid often includes better features (eg full speed LTE or VoLTE which Public Mobile doesn't have) but most importantly it often includes financing or subsidy for a new phone for 48 months. Post paid plan require hard credit check to verify your credit history, which should not be a problem for most people who has been in Canada for a while. Post paid plans also have larger discounts come shopping seasons eg back to school or Christmas, vs Prepaid plans where you rarely get anything more than $60 off.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@Fady_mousa wrote:

Went to buy new sim card the sailler asked me if im a canadian resident or Visitor the he told me "don't go with public because they are a prepaid  not postpaid " he just made me confused, please could anybody explain what's the disadvantages of using the prepaid plan not postpaid ? 

Prepaid is better for some. No credit check. Can't owe money. No extra charges.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Fady_mousa  

With Public Mobile you get Canada’s largest mobile network for the lowest possible price. Plus, you will never get charged for overages, sneaky fees, or for features you don’t want. The only difference is that there isn't any phone support so if you need a lot of hand holding  then PM  might not be a good fit.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Fady_mousa 

It really doesn't matter....  prepaid versus postpaid. 

Here is a good article on the differences:

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/prepay.htm

The seller likely want to sell you a postpaid plan since the seller gets higher commission.  With prepaid like Public Mobile, the seller gets lower fee.  

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

None

You pay for something then you use it, kinda like you take stuff from vending machine. You know exactly how much it will be and what you are buying (if you read it)

They never charge you extra, if it works it means you paid for it, you will not get surprise at the end of your cycle.

If you used it up, it stops working till you buy more.

One downside is that you don't get money back for not using up what you bought. So if you decide to leave in the middle of the month you don't get your money back. If you decide to upgrade instantly you also don't get your money back.

But for me that's not big deal it's cheap enough. 

You don't have any obligation to stay either.

You are obligated to make sure you pay for the service before the cycle start. You can really think of it as a vending machine. Unless you put money in, it will not come out.

If your thing gets stuck after you put your money in, you come here asking for help and if you can't shake it out yourself you contact moderators, the employees to do it for you

I see no disadvantage really

Need Help? Let's chat.