cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid $80 CAD for Activation Fee

Elle
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello there

here's hoping a Public Mobile Mod sees this, but I was wondering if it was normal to charge $80 for Activating the SIM card? I went to a guy in my city who's store was listed as an OFFICIAL Public Mobile store on Google Maps because I wanted to try a new phone company. I got there and he does indeed say he's a Public Mobile store, even has the logo in the back. So he sets it up and comes to a total of $210. $120 for the 3-month plan, and then the voucer (sim card?), then the activation fee of $80. If there is no activation fee, should I get my money back? How would I do it? Legal action? I mean it would be fraud wouldn't it, if he's pretending to be YOU charging a non-existent fee right?

39 REPLIES 39

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

No harm in naming a probable scammer with the best interest of the PM community at heart.  I am sure its allowed 🙂 

@mimmo wrote:

@imm1304 wrote:

It would be nice if @Elle can name and shame them here for all to see.  

Would that go against the code of conduct of the community?  

mimmo

@imm1304 wrote:

Would that go against the code of conduct of the community?  

mimmo

@NDesai i do agree with you.  But  not being at the transaction i do not know what how the agreement was made.  If thet agree ahead of time to pay fee x then i dont know what recourse the op has. 

But that was also why I mentioned social media maybe others would share their experiences and we can see how many others were "scammed"

I also  think the OP should maybe contact a mod/ higher up(Brooke?) with the store details , and how they found the store in question. Maybe PM can take some actions.

imm1304

It is morally wrong to do this but probably legal to sell service for a fee. 

The best we can do is spread awareness so no more unsuspecting customers are taken advantage of.

@mimmo wrote:

There is always the social media option if the store is unwilling to return the fee, but part of me says you agreed to pay / paid the activation fee, so unless they charged you telling you only after the activation you might be out of luck.

It is just wrong to do. If we figure out that many other local shops selling vouchers take advantage of customers by charging additional fees for no reason, i am willing to take this matter to PM to remove all local shops. Retail stores like SDM, CT, may be Walmart in the future, and some gas stations should be enough. 

mimmo

There is always the social media option if the store is unwilling to return the fee, but part of me says you agreed to pay / paid the activation fee, so unless they charged you telling you only after the activation you might be out of luck.

Go back to him and ask for money back. 

Exanas
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I bought my sim card for $10 at Walmart, then inserted my sim and activated my account in 10 mins once I was home. It seems sort of sketchy that he charged that much.

imm1304

Hi @Elle!

I am afraid I have bad news for you.  PM is selfserve based online-only mobile service provider.  There are no authorised dealers activating on behalf of PM and as such, there are no activation fees.  Also, $80 is way too much and I have never heard of such steep activation fees for mobile service.  

For future, you can purchase PM sim cards from Walmart, Wow-mobile, and K-mobile locations across the country for $10+tax and then go to https://activate.publicmobile.ca and sign up within 10 minutes.  

Need Help? Let's chat.