cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Paid $80 CAD for Activation Fee

I personally work as a cell phone vendor in Ontario Canada, you should defenatly take some legal action, or go back to the store and speak to a manager. There is no activation fee, only fee is 10$ sim card fee plus applicable taxes. The person at the store scammed you, made up an activation fee, all you should have paid was your plan cost plus 10$ one time sim card fee (and tax). I would personally escalate it with the store, before any legal action as the worker there wasn't being honest with you. If you would like, personal message me store location and I could escalate to my Telus Rep who is directly involved with Public mobile!

Oh wow, I didn't expect to get so many replies!! Well yes they told me there was an Activation Fee beforehand, but I was under the impression that it was Public Mobile's Activation Fee, not his. He didn't say it was HIS activation fee, just "the activation fee is $80".

That reminds me, is there a GST when you renew your plan? I went back there to renew the plan because I didn't know how to do it over internet, or rather I was afraid of putting credit card details online, so I went in person and he tried to scam me again; the cost of the $120 plan with GST is $135.6. He said "alright the cost to renew is $140". I said, "but wait, isn't it $135.6?" -"that's for the voucher, oh wait! *checks computer nervously* you are right it's $135.60" thus I paid it thinking Public Mobile charges GST like Fido does. Mods, any answers? I'll post receipts on it soon, I need to scurry through my stash of receipts that I collect.

Not true, I was under the impression they were Public Mobile's services, had I known that it was his, I would have said no and been on my merry way with Fido. That's why I mention FRAUD. It's a serious word to accuse someone of, I know, but I have justification for it.

Mayor / Maire

Yes tax is additional.  Just a FYI the voucher location search has been recently updated. So I would use that.  Missing from the list is shell, shoppers drugmart and Canadian tire gas bars.

The problem is, he IS the manager. He's the only one that's in the store. He sells cellphone accessories as well.

Mayor / Maire

@Elle if you have not done so already I would message the moderators or brooke_c with the details and see what they suggest. From what I saw in this thread no one was tagged so no official PM reply has been asked for. Or tag them in this post asking for feedback.

Mayor / Maire

One thing that is not clear to me from reading this thread

@Elle is he asking you to pay $80 + cost of plan ($120) for a $200 total?

Also is this an inmarket plan? (It kinda sounds like he had some old expired SIMs with the promo plan on them and is now selling them for a profit...)

Which plan did you activate?

Many store reps do activate the older plans (promos) then let them expire since takes 90 days to deac so can then renew them to "activate" them as a new account when a client asks

Mayor / Maire

@kav2001c  I am surprised no one asked this question before, but you can get provincial calling, unlimited text and 2 +2gb @3g  or 3gb @4g data for $120 

Wonder_why wrote:

frenette wrote:

@Elle - I sure hope you reported this rip-off artist to the police.

I don't think is a rip off, he/she provide services, to activated the services and told him/her the fee $80 and agreed to pay.

If he's is telling you its a standard fee from Public Mobile and he's a representative he is putting himself at risk to loose his license to sell public mobile, he's completly ripping you off. Its like going to a resturant, ordering a 35$ steak but then at the end the waitor tells you there is a cash fee of 50$ for cooking the meal lol. Hows that not ripping someone off?

Hello!

Thank you very much for extending a hand. Luckily a moderator has e-mailed me and I replied back to day. This entire time I've been organizing my receipts of 2017, that's why it took me so long to reply. I'm still unsure of what to do, I gave the moderator the address, I'll see what happens next.