cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid $80 CAD for Activation Fee

Elle
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello there

here's hoping a Public Mobile Mod sees this, but I was wondering if it was normal to charge $80 for Activating the SIM card? I went to a guy in my city who's store was listed as an OFFICIAL Public Mobile store on Google Maps because I wanted to try a new phone company. I got there and he does indeed say he's a Public Mobile store, even has the logo in the back. So he sets it up and comes to a total of $210. $120 for the 3-month plan, and then the voucer (sim card?), then the activation fee of $80. If there is no activation fee, should I get my money back? How would I do it? Legal action? I mean it would be fraud wouldn't it, if he's pretending to be YOU charging a non-existent fee right?

39 REPLIES 39

smay

This is good to know and everyone should be aware of this kind of activity. 

Arien
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This "activator" may have been charging you for his time.  It does sound like he hosed you.  Perhaps contacting your credit card company and attempt to have charges reversed for services not rendered.

@Elle so was this ever fully resolved? What were additional charges supposed to have been for?

Elle

@kav2001c

Uhhh you're making it more complicated than it is. I don't go there anymore after I confirmed he was a crook. Did you read all my replies before this? The third time I finally paid online after much thought.

P.S. the forums need to be revamped because it's difficult and confusing to reply and PM someone.

Elle

@wetcoaster

Haha I WISH I had that promo, it's better than the one I have now. But no, that's not the one, I wasn't with Freedom Mobile when I signed up with Public Mobile.

@Elle but there is no plan like that. Hence my confusion.

It *sounds like* you signed up for 90 days, Province Wide Talk, International TXT & 6GB of data for $120 then? (6GB over 90 days is avg of 2GB per month)

If you purchased in June, you should have paid dealer $250 already (SIM = $10 + Jul-Aug-Sep = $120 + Oct-Nov-Dec = $120) with another $120 payment due soon 

But you said you paid $80 + $120 = $200 it sounded like

How much have you actually paid to date? In total?

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Elle

Sucks that you're having this experience, there will always be tax on any cell phone products or vouchers in Canada, only way to avoid tax is if you have a First Nations exemption, or some type of pardon form the governments, lol.  

So regardless of which provider you go to, PM, FIDO, KOODO, etc., you'll always have to pay GST, on any plan you have (whether contract, monthly, prepaid, pay as you go, etc..).  It's not a PM requirement, it's a government requirement, so I wouldn't base a decision to leave PM due to having to pay GST, you'll be paying it no moatter where you go.

And definitely this store is trying to get more money out of you so they can put it in their pocket (suggest stop going there).  Just for future reference, anytime you buy something and the price is a flat price (i.e. $140, $120, $50, etc.) no change and final denominator ends with a zero, your eyebrows should be raised immediately. Open the calculator app on your phone and do the calculations in front of them.  

@Elle wrote:

I don't get you. It's 2 GB per month, province wide talk, for 3 months. That's it. I got it when Public Mobile was having a promo in the month of June.

Are you sure that it should'nt be 4GB if you signed up for a promo?

I think this is the one you are talking about? https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Expired-Competitive-Response-Limited-Ti... (I assume you met the criteria of being a Freedom customer at the time.)

Elle

I don't get you. It's 2 GB per month, province wide talk, for 3 months. That's it. I got it when Public Mobile was having a promo in the month of June.

Elle

***UPDATE***

Hello everyone, I've been rummaging through my receipts and finally found what I was looking for. I will post address after...awhile. I'll wait just a bit.

Elle

Hello!

Thank you very much for extending a hand. Luckily a moderator has e-mailed me and I replied back to day. This entire time I've been organizing my receipts of 2017, that's why it took me so long to reply. I'm still unsure of what to do, I gave the moderator the address, I'll see what happens next.

jmc199397

@Wonder_why wrote:

@frenette wrote:

@Elle - I sure hope you reported this rip-off artist to the police.

I don't think is a rip off, he/she provide services, to activated the services and told him/her the fee $80 and agreed to pay.

If he's is telling you its a standard fee from Public Mobile and he's a representative he is putting himself at risk to loose his license to sell public mobile, he's completly ripping you off. Its like going to a resturant, ordering a 35$ steak but then at the end the waitor tells you there is a cash fee of 50$ for cooking the meal lol. Hows that not ripping someone off?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kav2001c  I am surprised no one asked this question before, but you can get provincial calling, unlimited text and 2 +2gb @3g  or 3gb @4g data for $120 

One thing that is not clear to me from reading this thread

@Elle is he asking you to pay $80 + cost of plan ($120) for a $200 total?

Also is this an inmarket plan? (It kinda sounds like he had some old expired SIMs with the promo plan on them and is now selling them for a profit...)

Which plan did you activate?

Many store reps do activate the older plans (promos) then let them expire since takes 90 days to deac so can then renew them to "activate" them as a new account when a client asks

mimmo

@Elle if you have not done so already I would message the moderators or brooke_c with the details and see what they suggest. From what I saw in this thread no one was tagged so no official PM reply has been asked for. Or tag them in this post asking for feedback.

Elle

The problem is, he IS the manager. He's the only one that's in the store. He sells cellphone accessories as well.

mimmo

Yes tax is additional.  Just a FYI the voucher location search has been recently updated. So I would use that.  Missing from the list is shell, shoppers drugmart and Canadian tire gas bars.

Elle

Not true, I was under the impression they were Public Mobile's services, had I known that it was his, I would have said no and been on my merry way with Fido. That's why I mention FRAUD. It's a serious word to accuse someone of, I know, but I have justification for it.

Elle

Oh wow, I didn't expect to get so many replies!! Well yes they told me there was an Activation Fee beforehand, but I was under the impression that it was Public Mobile's Activation Fee, not his. He didn't say it was HIS activation fee, just "the activation fee is $80".

That reminds me, is there a GST when you renew your plan? I went back there to renew the plan because I didn't know how to do it over internet, or rather I was afraid of putting credit card details online, so I went in person and he tried to scam me again; the cost of the $120 plan with GST is $135.6. He said "alright the cost to renew is $140". I said, "but wait, isn't it $135.6?" -"that's for the voucher, oh wait! *checks computer nervously* you are right it's $135.60" thus I paid it thinking Public Mobile charges GST like Fido does. Mods, any answers? I'll post receipts on it soon, I need to scurry through my stash of receipts that I collect.

jmc199397

I personally work as a cell phone vendor in Ontario Canada, you should defenatly take some legal action, or go back to the store and speak to a manager. There is no activation fee, only fee is 10$ sim card fee plus applicable taxes. The person at the store scammed you, made up an activation fee, all you should have paid was your plan cost plus 10$ one time sim card fee (and tax). I would personally escalate it with the store, before any legal action as the worker there wasn't being honest with you. If you would like, personal message me store location and I could escalate to my Telus Rep who is directly involved with Public mobile!

bryclops
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Please provide the nearest intersection and city this store is located if you don't want to snitch, lol.  We will do the rest of the homework.

Jencho
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I would go back to the store $80 is a lot of money.  Ask him why did he charge you $80? 

There is no such thing as an "official Public Mobile store".  The person can offer you a service as activating the service for you and charge whatever he wants, and if you agreed to that price, you're out of luck.  That is covered under basic Canadian contract law. This is all assuming of course that hte seller didn't misrepresent himself or otherwise commit some form of fraud.  Charging a fee for something isn't illegal. But that person can't say he is running a "Public Mobile store", as quite honestly, they don't exist.  If questioned, I'm certain that person will say what was said was "they are an authorized seller of Public Mobile sim cards" or something similar. Unless there is some type of agreement between the store and Public Mobile specifically preventing such fees,  the store could really charge whatever they wish.

dna2016

Hi @Elle,

Sorry to hear about this, but considering PM is all about lower costs i'm surprised you didn't question this retailer beofre making the purchase.  I'm even surprised activation fees still exist.  I know back in the day companies like Rogers and Bell would charge a $35 activation fee, but $80, that should have had your eyebrows raised.  Unless you got a phone from them at a great price, then I would go back there (with the paperwork/receipt) and ask for a refund.  I don't think taking legal action is worth the hassle for $80.  But I do recommend you talk to them first, see what they say.  If they refuse to provide any type of refund or store credit, then ask to speak to their manager.  If that doesn't work then let them know you'll go to the press, that usually does the trick.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Let see Elle will disclosed store name and address of the store associate with PM or Elle BS

ute1978

@mimmo wrote:
Maybe PM can take some actions.

I think PM must take action in this case.

Such a rip off!

mtfolks

@Wonder_why  Disagree. They claimed to be associated with PM and used that to build trust and make money. That’s a scam. Had they been honest the poster may not have chosen to use their “service”. 

Charging a fee in and of itself wouldn’t be a problem, tho. You shouldn’t need to take advantage of people to make money. 

mtfolks

This sucks. Sorry you got scammed.  

I there’s no question both the poster and PM could go after him. I’d definitely let the mods know as PM would likely take action to shut this person down as they are claiming to be associated with PM and definitely bare not. I think this is the most likely recourse. 

As for the poster, I think submitting a complaint to the police isn’t a bad idea as it is clearly a scam but I don’t know how much they would be able to do. You could likely pursue legal action but for $80 it probably doesn’t make much sense. 

Unfortunately, I think your money is gone. Hopefully PM/the police can make sure it doesn’t happen to anyone else. 

Oh, and if they set up your account make sure you change your password, watch your credit card, etc. This person is clearly not trustworthy IMO. 

Wonder_why

@frenette wrote:

I don't think is a rip off, he/she provide services, to activated the services and told him/her the fee $80 and agreed to pay.

frenette
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Need Help? Let's chat.