cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nova Scotia Walmart and Canadian Tire

Calvinth
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi bought a sim card at Walmart and activated a new plan today. It seems public mobile must be new to Nova Scotia as many retailers had codes for vouchers but only Canadian Tire gas station was able to actually provide them, as the other retailers (Walmart, MacQuarries, Needs) weren't able to register the vouchers on their systems. 

Because of this Walmart was unable to activate my sim card and I had to run around in order to get a voucher. 

Hopefully still get my new plan and price of sim refunded.

9 REPLIES 9

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

Don't buy vouchers from Canadian Tire. Trust me on this one. Even though in the stores, they claim the vouchers get activated within 24 hours, they do NOT! In reality, it takes them 72 hours to activate them. It's been nerve-wracking, to say the least, to not knowing if you just wasted your money or not. So, just pay by using a credit card.

Granted, am not 100% sure if a Visa Giftcard would work, but that seems more reliable than a voucher from Canadian Tire! 

@Calvinthwrote:

Thanks for all the replies.

I received a message from the moderators that they would honour the free month promotion, but could not refund the sim card. 

I'll try walmart to see if I can get a refund for the sim card, or at least get them educated on public mobile.

I'll update this with my results.

Thanks for the update, good luck!

@Ludditewrote:

@Someone_herewrote:

I'm almost certain they won't refund the SIM, but let us know if they do 🙂

Just a heads up: this thread suggests the free month promo is being honoured for online activations: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Get-a-SIM-your-next-30-days-of-service-...

Yep the free month, but not the free SIM...

(btw, it makes sense, since they have no way to know if you activated in store or not, right?) (Well, I'm assuming that reps in store are just using the regular activation procedure like anybody else for PM activations, but maybe they do have a special login and account that I don't know of...)

Calvinth

Thanks for all the replies.

I received a message from the moderators that they would honour the free month promotion, but could not refund the sim card. 

I'll try walmart to see if I can get a refund for the sim card, or at least get them educated on public mobile.

I'll update this with my results.

@Someone_herewrote:

Just a heads up: this thread suggests the free month promo is being honoured for online activations: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Get-a-SIM-your-next-30-days-of-service-...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It seems like this flash promo was a great example of what can go wrong will go wrong.  It is unbelievable that the retail partners are so ill prepared to do their part in fulfilling the requirements for the promo.  As for where to buy vouchers, that remains a real mystery some times as the vendors list on this web site is woefully out of date.  I do know that out in the GTA, Canadian Tire gas bars are the most reliable source for vouchers. 

Calvinth

I sent them a message, but think they're off now, No rush. I assume my plan will be credited, sim card we'll see. Interesting that Walmart doesn't provide vouchers.

Mostly I wanted to let people know in Nova Scotia that the Canadian Tire Gas station in Bible Hill was the only place that was able to provide vouchers of the 4 places I tried that had them.  

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Calvinth I have not heard of any walmart selling vouchers. In order to get the sim for free, you must activate in store on a 30 days plan. But since you tried and they were unable to, you can try sending a private message to the Moderator_Team with your account info and they will determine whether to refund sim charges or not. 

More info on contacting mods:

Spoiler
How can I view my private messages between myself and a Community Moderator?If I do need Moderator assistance, what information should I provide?
    • Once the Community Moderator has responded to your private message, they will provide you with a secure link so they can authenticate your account information
    • In order to validate your account information, you will be asked for 1) Your account number and 2) Your PIN number
What are the Contact Support’s hours of operation?
Monday - Friday 9AM (EDT) - 9PM (EDT) Saturday - Sunday 9AM (EDT) - 7:00PM (EDT)

Need Help? Let's chat.