cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In-store Weekend Promo

Rob_K
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just bought a SIM from Walmart and had them activate it for me on a 30 day monthly plan with autopay.  When I got home I started to setup my account that I saw that there is a 2 day promotion this weekend for a free SIM card and $0 first month.  They didn't mention this in-store and did charge me for the SIM card.  Sounds like the monthly fee might get credited to my account per the description but sounds like the SIM card should have been free at the store.  But they didn't mention this to me and now I'm not sure if I can go back and ask for a refund or how that works.

As an aside they tried pretty hard for me to sign with Koodo instead.  

16 REPLIES 16

Rob_K

Yes, I already got this all resolved, I feel you have misread several of the posts as all this information is there.  

TK123
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Rob_K wrote:

In-store.

You will automatically get the 30 days free - Public Mobile will take care of that for you automatically - check you account online in about a week - the credit will be there.  Did you pay for the SIM? If so, the store should issue you a refund for that.  What store was it?

Rob_K

In-store.

TK123

@Rob_K wrote:

Thanks but I already signed up yesterday and was aware of most of these things. 

Did you sign up "online" or "in-store".  The promo is for "in-store" only.

Rob_K

Thanks but I already signed up yesterday and was aware of most of these things. 

TK123

This is a great deal! Just be aware that to get the "next 30 days free" (after 30 days), you must sign up for a 30 day plan. There is no "next 30 days free" deal for a 90 day plan. And the promo is for "in store" signups ONLY (no promo for "online" sign-ups)Public Mobile is owned by Telus so you get nationwide coverage wherever you would get Telus - Telus is one of the big three so coverage is not an issue (Stay away from Freedom Mobile). I get $1 off per month if you use my number as a referrer. Send me a private message if you need a referer number and you get a $10 credit to your account.

I recommend going to London Drugs if you live in Western Canada. The one at Robson and Bute in Vancouver is the one I used and recommend - 1187 Robson street, Vancouver.
I signed up five months ago for the same deal.

DO NOT CANCEL YOUR SERVICE WITH YOUR CURRENT PROVIDER - you will lose your number if you do that - Public Mobile will take car of that for you. Once you are sure you are getting service from Public Mobile, it is OK to check with your OLD provider.

There are a few drawbacks that you should be aware of

1) The plans are 30 day plans - they are NOT for a full month - good deal in February 🙂

2) It is a pre-pay service so you have to pay ahead and ensure there is enough in your account at renewal date or set up autopay via a credit card - you can and should do that - you'll save $2 a month if you do that. Setting up auto-pay is a little finicky accepting your credit card address - have your name and address on your Credit Card EXACTLY the same as your Public Mobile name and address and don't use a space between the third and fourth character in your postal code.

3) There is no live support - all questions are handled online ONLY.

4) Lots of data available in the 3G Data plans. 3G is still plenty fast - you can watch 1080p video with 3G. If you really need LTE, you can select that option, but it will cost more - absolutely unnecessary for me. Because Public Mobile has ONLY LTE and not VoLTE, your phone has to switch to 3G to make or receive a call - this switching can fail 1-2% of the time resulting in a missed call so I highly recommend turning off LTE and using 3G all the time, eliminating the need for your phone to switch to 3G on incoming calls.

5) The ONLY potential problem, as far as I can see, is when you change your service initially to Public Mobile when you go in the store, e.g. London Drugs. You have to be on the ball for this. Although not required, I recommend printing your bill from your current provider with your account number and address on it and bringing it with you to the store. They are going to give you a new SIM card and port your old number to that SIM card so you can keep the same number. Your time in the store is about 15 minutes - sign some stuff and set up payment etc. but it takes about 30 to 60 minutes to "port" your number to Public Mobile and to your new SIM card (you don't have to wait around for this at the store). That process should go smooth but if it doesn't, go back to the store. Don't deal with it online. At London Drugs, they have a direct line to Telus (Public Mobile) to fix porting issues and activation issues. I call it the "BAT PHONE", but it's ONLY for porting and activation issues. Ask them at the store if they have a "bat phone". If they don't have a "bat phone" go to another store that does.

6) An add-on to seriously consider. You can add this add-on anytime, not necessary to add when you sign-up. Occasionally, we all have to call the USA, and it can be very expensive to do that with EVERY other provider.  Public Mobile hast the best deal by far for that. 

400 International Long Distance minutes for $15. Any unused minutes will roll over to your next cycle. That's Key!

Included countries: Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela.

Rob_K

I won't disagree with that.  They also encouraged me to go with Lucky and Koodo even though I had come in looking to buy just the SIM for Public and said not interested to two sales guys.

wickedgx

I highly recommend not to do this with Wal-Mart. Many people have experienced issues with their sales rep and how they deal with customers. If anyone is looking to take advantage of this offer, if you can use an alternative public mobile seller. 

Rob_K

Good news, so I ended up going back and got a refund, well paid 1 penny.  The sales guy looked it up, found it, called his manager(?) I guess who approved it, but had to go to the regular customer service desk and explain it to them who I guess normally don't do refunds for the phone section.  

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Rob_K 

Go back to WM and show the PM promo link and Walmart is one of the participating store and get refund.  Good luck.

• Next 30 days for $0⁹  when you activate a 30-day plan
  • $0 SIM card¹⁰ 
  • In-store only offer  at participating Walmart, London Drugs, The Mobile Shop, WOW and K-Mobile locations
  • Limited time offer  March 9 - 10, 2019

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/30daysfor0?fbclid=IwAR0qJPBb4NdqJzazSRTW8uu0IueikZvH3AMJHX5y...

Rob_K

I'll try Walmart first, I feel they are the ones who should have not charged me and been aware of the promo.  

lheintzman
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

A Walmart refund could be possible, but iffy given the reported uncooperative attitude of some - - but not all-- Walmart locations. It might be worth contacting the PM Mod Team. If you explain the details and ask nicely, they might be willing to give you a credit for the SIM.

To send a private message click here

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Rob_K

Yeah and I might as well go back and try, will wait until after dinner.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rob_K- You should definitely try (if it's not out of your way).  If you did it today, it was supposed to be free.  Make a stink in-store if need be.

Rob_K

So do you think I can go back and try to get it refunded?

Oh okay, that makes sense and is fine about the monthly fee.  

@Rob_K wrote:

I just bought a SIM from Walmart and had them activate it for me on a 30 day monthly plan with autopay.  When I got home I started to setup my account that I saw that there is a 2 day promotion this weekend for a free SIM card and $0 first month.  They didn't mention this in-store and did charge me for the SIM card.  Sounds like the monthly fee might get credited to my account per the description but sounds like the SIM card should have been free at the store.  But they didn't mention this to me and now I'm not sure if I can go back and ask for a refund or how that works.

You are correct in that you were not supposed to be charged for the sim card.  However, it's not first month free.  The first renewal is free, which will occur in 30 days.

Need Help? Let's chat.