cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impossible to find a SIM card in person?

CanadianPerson0
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I ordered a SIM card for $5 (plus tax) and am so far happy with this phone plan. However, the shipping took awhile, so I figured that for my brother who wanted to switch I’d swing by Walmart, the Source or some other place that’d have one... my experience was not great to say the very least.

I started off by phoning Walmart and talking to their Electronics associate. Besides the fact that she was rude, she didn’t even ask the correct question to the phone kiosk associate. She said I could just go to Dollarama and get one for $4.

So I phoned Dollarama and then was told they only sell Bell and it’s subsidiaries (Bell, Virgin, Lucky Mobile).

I decided to phone The Source next (I later found out they’re owned by Bell) and was told they have the same SIM card selection as Dollarama.

I phoned Shoppers Drug Mart next and they don’t carry SIM cards. The Rogers store obviously wouldn’t have Telus (or it’s subsidiaries SIM cards).

So I looked into The Phone Experts next, not only where they closed but I’ve heard Telus won’t sell Public Mobile SIM cards despite literally owning them. I phoned a truck stop next and they didn’t carry SIM cards.

The map that shows availability for SIM cards literally only showed two locations in Alberta, and in an area like Ontario it wasn’t much better. 

So either: Walmart’s employees were incorrect (wouldn’t be surprised) or it’s literally impossible to get a SIM card where I live. Really didn’t want to wait two weeks to get one delivered, but that’s looking like my only option.

19 REPLIES 19

PoppyH
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I remember going with a friend to get his SIM at a Walmart in Ontario. The person working didn't really know what we were asking for, but he did get one!

Jaybud
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Bargain shop is a good place to get sims with no hassle if there’s one near you I’d go there

@carlaspapa wrote:

@CanadianPerson0 

I've had a good experience with London Drugs if that's in your area.

London Drugs aren't in a lot of the country. In your other post, you got a free sim because you activated.  The problem is finding sims but getting the store to sell the sim if you don't want activation. The experience can be different when no activation is wanted.

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@CanadianPerson0 

I've had a good experience with London Drugs if that's in your area.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Sadia-Din 

I am very pleased with the services I have recieved from CCS. If you live in the Toronto area having pick up service as well is very convenient.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@CanadianPerson0 ,

Yeah, that kind of is too bad. When we want a SIM, it is not too easy to get one quickly in some areas of Canada, I have noticed that.

Some Walmart locations have been known to be 'difficult' or deter customers away from Public Mobile at times.

If you want to share your city, it is possible someone may have a spare SIM to provide/sell from the Community members.

I have used this company before: https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/sim-cards/products/public-sim-card

and have been happy with them. Currently SIM's are $5 on their site.

Good luck!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@CanadianPerson0 

Where are you located in Alberta? I used the store locator at the bottom of the page and found dozens of retail locations in Calgary and Edmonton. Grande Prairie had eight. There were a couple or more in Hinton and Red Deer. Cold Lake only had Walmart....the most listed retailer and probably the community's least favourite and I'm no fan of koodo either for several reasons......

TMS found at Loblaws and RCSS locations is a good source and they will give you 1000 pc optimum points if you stop by and discuss your cellular needs. They occasionally offer a spend $50 get 25,000 points ($25 worth of points) and will usually price match other retailers pm offers such as a free sim card w/in store activation..

I have had great experiences both purchasing just sim cards and activating in store at London Drugs. They have excellent customer service and usually very knowledgable employees who respect your privacy when activating and I have even had staff insist I open the self serve account in store in case any issues popped up and would make sure all your services were working with a new or a ported phone number.

They guarantee customer satisfaction, price match and price adjust. If you sign up for the LD extras program you earn a $5 coupon/voucher per 10 store "visits" w/ a $10+ purchase. These can be both earned and redeemed not only on sim cards but on pm vouchers as well. Most loyalty rewards programs exclude vouchers and prepaid phone cards/credits. You also get a free $5 "coupon" on your birthday. London drugs pm vouchers are immediately valid and loadable onto your account via 611 or your self serve account.

I have also dealt with Canadian Cell Supplies purchasing sim cards, vouchers and most recently a free sim activation bundle. Its better to allow enough time for an unactivated free sim to arrive and activate with the possibility of stacking a CCS and a pm promotional offer and use the full 30 days of service. Otherwise shipping via canada post is pretty consistently 5 business days (from Toronto to Vancouver at least...)

Vouchers arrive via email in 1 to 3 days. Pm sim cards are currently $5 including shipping or free with activation and save up to 50% on your first month. (ie. $50 plan=50% off or $25+tax to activate the $50:plan or $25 plan=25% off or $18.75+tax to activate the $25 plan.) 

There are many small business mobile/cellular shops that sell phones and offer repairs as well as sell sim cards, vouchers and may even do activations as well. Pm is unique in making inroads with small businesses to become retail partners and offering individual marketing agreements as evidenced by the discounts that CCS has been able to offer pm customers.

Also...I'm sure @popping can offer some insight as he is a fellow albertan.

If you are in the west London Drugs is good and no hassle. Are you sure a Telus store has? For some reason I doubt it. 

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Wal-Mart is basically the last place you should go to for Public Mobile needs. They really are quite dismissive about prepaid phone carriers in general. If you have Amazon, you can get it with Prime Shipping really fast. Most Telus Stores also have them.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@CanadianPerson0 wrote:

I ordered a SIM card for $5 (plus tax) and am so far happy with this phone plan. However, the shipping took awhile, so I figured that for my brother who wanted to switch I’d swing by Walmart, the Source or some other place that’d have one... my experience was not great to say the very least.

I started off by phoning Walmart and talking to their Electronics associate. Besides the fact that she was rude, she didn’t even ask the correct question to the phone kiosk associate. She said I could just go to Dollarama and get one for $4.

So I phoned Dollarama and then was told they only sell Bell and it’s subsidiaries (Bell, Virgin, Lucky Mobile).

I decided to phone The Source next (I later found out they’re owned by Bell) and was told they have the same SIM card selection as Dollarama.

I phoned Shoppers Drug Mart next and they don’t carry SIM cards. The Rogers store obviously wouldn’t have Telus (or it’s subsidiaries SIM cards).

So I looked into The Phone Experts next, not only where they closed but I’ve heard Telus won’t sell Public Mobile SIM cards despite literally owning them. I phoned a truck stop next and they didn’t carry SIM cards.

The map that shows availability for SIM cards literally only showed two locations in Alberta, and in an area like Ontario it wasn’t much better. 

So either: Walmart’s employees were incorrect (wouldn’t be surprised) or it’s literally impossible to get a SIM card where I live. Really didn’t want to wait two weeks to get one delivered, but that’s looking like my only option.

Try:

CCS $5 and free delivery 

Craigslist $0 and free delivery 

eBay 99 cents and free delivery. 

Don't forget to use your Referral Code (on your self serve) to give your brother when he activates service to save him $10 PLUS you get a monthly $1 savings!!!

CanadianPerson0

Alright, I might use them. Thanks!

CanadianPerson0

Alright, I’ll check tomorrow and see if the Telus/Koodo store (The Phone Experts and  see if there’s a London Drugs near me too. If not I’ll either get it through Amazon or Canadian Cell Supplies

CanadianPerson0

I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks!

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@CanadianPerson0 

Order from canadiancellsupplies.com 

I have...it was fast PLUS free delivery. 

CanadianPerson0

Alright, that’s a shame. Don’t they get $0 on prepaid/gift cards: PSN, Xbox, Steam, etc isn’t the whole point that they get foot traffic? 
I guess that’s the way it is unfortunately.

@CanadianPerson0 

It can be frustrating. Mobile shops (inside Superstore), London drugs (Western Canada), WOW mobile and some authorized Koodo dealers are other vendors. 

Online vendors include Amazon, eBay, Canadian cell supplies. 
https://canadiancellsupplies.com

@CanadianPerson0   Hey friend get the sim card from Canadian Cell Supplies.com they deliver it in 5 days for free.  And they cost cheaper. 

Heck, they'll even activate your sim card and plan before shipping to you if you want.  It's a great service!

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@CanadianPerson0 wrote:

Walmart doesn't want to sell because there's no commission if they sell without activation. If they don't sell, you need to find another store or wait for shipping.

Need Help? Let's chat.