cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CanadianPerson0
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Impossible to find a SIM card in person?

I ordered a SIM card for $5 (plus tax) and am so far happy with this phone plan. However, the shipping took awhile, so I figured that for my brother who wanted to switch I’d swing by Walmart, the Source or some other place that’d have one... my experience was not great to say the very least.

I started off by phoning Walmart and talking to their Electronics associate. Besides the fact that she was rude, she didn’t even ask the correct question to the phone kiosk associate. She said I could just go to Dollarama and get one for $4.

So I phoned Dollarama and then was told they only sell Bell and it’s subsidiaries (Bell, Virgin, Lucky Mobile).

I decided to phone The Source next (I later found out they’re owned by Bell) and was told they have the same SIM card selection as Dollarama.

I phoned Shoppers Drug Mart next and they don’t carry SIM cards. The Rogers store obviously wouldn’t have Telus (or it’s subsidiaries SIM cards).

So I looked into The Phone Experts next, not only where they closed but I’ve heard Telus won’t sell Public Mobile SIM cards despite literally owning them. I phoned a truck stop next and they didn’t carry SIM cards.

The map that shows availability for SIM cards literally only showed two locations in Alberta, and in an area like Ontario it wasn’t much better. 

So either: Walmart’s employees were incorrect (wouldn’t be surprised) or it’s literally impossible to get a SIM card where I live. Really didn’t want to wait two weeks to get one delivered, but that’s looking like my only option.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

Re: Impossible to find a SIM card in person?

@CanadianPerson0 wrote:

I ordered a SIM card for $5 (plus tax) and am so far happy with this phone plan. However, the shipping took awhile, so I figured that for my brother who wanted to switch I’d swing by Walmart, the Source or some other place that’d have one... my experience was not great to say the very least.

I started off by phoning Walmart and talking to their Electronics associate. Besides the fact that she was rude, she didn’t even ask the correct question to the phone kiosk associate. She said I could just go to Dollarama and get one for $4.

So I phoned Dollarama and then was told they only sell Bell and it’s subsidiaries (Bell, Virgin, Lucky Mobile).

I decided to phone The Source next (I later found out they’re owned by Bell) and was told they have the same SIM card selection as Dollarama.

I phoned Shoppers Drug Mart next and they don’t carry SIM cards. The Rogers store obviously wouldn’t have Telus (or it’s subsidiaries SIM cards).

So I looked into The Phone Experts next, not only where they closed but I’ve heard Telus won’t sell Public Mobile SIM cards despite literally owning them. I phoned a truck stop next and they didn’t carry SIM cards.

The map that shows availability for SIM cards literally only showed two locations in Alberta, and in an area like Ontario it wasn’t much better. 

So either: Walmart’s employees were incorrect (wouldn’t be surprised) or it’s literally impossible to get a SIM card where I live. Really didn’t want to wait two weeks to get one delivered, but that’s looking like my only option.

Walmart doesn't want to sell because there's no commission if they sell without activation. If they don't sell, you need to find another store or wait for shipping.

Quigley
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@CanadianPerson0   Hey friend get the sim card from Canadian Cell Supplies.com they deliver it in 5 days for free.  And they cost cheaper. 

Heck, they'll even activate your sim card and plan before shipping to you if you want.  It's a great service!

Dunkman
Oracle

@CanadianPerson0 

It can be frustrating. Mobile shops (inside Superstore), London drugs (Western Canada), WOW mobile and some authorized Koodo dealers are other vendors. 

Online vendors include Amazon, eBay, Canadian cell supplies. 
https://canadiancellsupplies.com

CanadianPerson0

Alright, that’s a shame. Don’t they get $0 on prepaid/gift cards: PSN, Xbox, Steam, etc isn’t the whole point that they get foot traffic? 
I guess that’s the way it is unfortunately.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@CanadianPerson0 

Order from canadiancellsupplies.com 

I have...it was fast PLUS free delivery. 

CanadianPerson0

I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks!

CanadianPerson0

Alright, I’ll check tomorrow and see if the Telus/Koodo store (The Phone Experts and  see if there’s a London Drugs near me too. If not I’ll either get it through Amazon or Canadian Cell Supplies

CanadianPerson0

Alright, I might use them. Thanks!

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Don't forget to use your Referral Code (on your self serve) to give your brother when he activates service to save him $10 PLUS you get a monthly $1 savings!!!

Need Help? Let's chat.