cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was cheated by a retail store

xahshx
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

On 12/3/2021, I went to buy a SIM card from 1041 Flury Est retail store in Montreal. The salesman sold it to me for 23$ with taxes. He gave me a mysterious slip as a receipt. I asked for a detailed invoice and he gave me another one (no. 12046). I have and suspect it is fake. I went to the website the SIM price is only 10$. I complained to the live chat and advised me to refund as I did not activate the SIM card or report to the police. The salesman refused to refund !!!. I went to the police station and advised me to contact the Customer Protection Department. I hope Public Mobile can investigate the matter.  My email is: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

edited by computergeek541: e-mail address removed

13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dgraziani : The point I was making was that folks were helping the OP...two months later....after just the one post from the OP.

Many times newbs will add their own new question or their own me too to an existing thread looking for help. Happens all the time. And kinda good because it means they did some searching. This was not that.

But as I said...the thread wasn't marked as solved so it's fair game...just likely deaf ears with the OP.

Dgraziani
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Anonymous Some people might always find the need to revive an old thread. But wow it just shows how some people might not do their research in terms of finding a good deal or a reasonable price to pay for certain things. 

@Anonymous 

Community members are getting desperate to help people....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just so we're aware, cmobile pulled this thread out from 2 months ago. It hasn't been marked as solved, so fair game I suppose. But we have had no further updates from the OP since. One post...gone.

$23 sounds like:

$10 SIM card

$15 Plan

-$2 Auto-Pay Credit. 

=====

$23

But if sales was shady would have used their referral code to give the OP a one-time $10 credit. 

I would say....try the SIM. You can always put it back together. Maybe OP misunderstood what they received. 

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just an observation here...

If the OP paid $23 in Quebec, this is equivalent to $20 + 14.975% tax.

$10 is just the price PM charges.   This is not a fixed price.   Store can certainly sell you more.   So, I don't see it anything wrong with the store even though that is a blank, un-activated  card.

cmobile
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Looking like they activated your sim card already.   $10 is just blank sim card. $25 is preactivated sim with free sim card.

You saved $10 in sim card and seller paid $25 to public mobile already plus the sim card cost. If they refund you, they lose $25 plus sim card cost.

It's not so hard to understand pre-activated sim card and a blank sim card , isn't it?

@computergeek541 

I wasn't suggesting a chargeback just simply having a better proof of purchase than if it was a cash transaction.

@xahshx 

I myself tend be like a dog with a bone and I hate to feel ripped off. When I activated my first account after waiting for a flash sale that never came and asking everyone I knew if any had a referral code  I finally just had it and activated. Well wouldn't you know it the next day was a flash sale and london drugs ofered a free sim with activation! It was killing me that I paid full price for something.! With dogged determination, 3 phone calls and 4 trips to 2 different locations I got my $10 refunded to me. Was it worth the time and effort expended? Probably not.....but I felt better about it.

I'm in bc. Different retail sales laws and store policies. Perhaps the best thing you can get out of this is to never shop or get service from koodo ( I learned that here a long time ago) and just leave a review about that location as I suggested. It still sucks though.....

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@xahshx 

So what's the status?

If the SIM card you received has been separated from the tri-cut, credit card sixed, housing they're sold in, try it in a public mobile compatible phone to see if it has been activated.

The prices of SIM cards can be wildly different, anywhere from FREE (with activation) to $20 depending on carrier and retail location.

@darlicious wrote:

@xahshx 

I disagree with @computergeek541  keep the sim card intact. You can easily check if its been activated by putting the 19 digit sim card # in the that box in the activation portal and seeing if it comes up as already in use or allows you to go to the next step. Don't worry you can stop there it wont actually activate the sim card.

I have problem with the way the salesperson dealt with you and the refusal to issue a refund if this is JJ telecom an authorized koodo and telus dealer. This is not the first time a koodo "employee" has been less than honourable. But if you have an unactivated sim card that is still intact and not "unhinged" from the original cardboard card I wouldn't even check it for activation but instead find the appropriate koodo or telus department to talk to that one of their authorized dealers is refusing a basic refund. Hopefully you paid by credit card.

You can also leave a review by going to "find a store" at the bottom of the page and type in the address and click on "list" at the top right corner of the map when it brings you to Montreal. I'd like @Alan_K  to be aware of this....and please keep us informed of your progress. I'm sure Quebec has some retail return laws in place allowing return for a full refund within 7 days along with telus/ koodo that this dealer is refusing to uphold.

Stores do not have to accept returns. Straight from a Quebec provincial government websites, they clearly state this.  Exchanging and Refunding Non-Defective Goods - Exchanges and Refunds (gouv.qc.ca) .  As for the store's actual policy, that's almost certain to be set to no returns on SIM cards.

As for actual pricing, Public Mobile has previously stated that they do not have control of the price that authorized retailers charge for SIM cards.

As for the idea of not trying to use the SIM card in order to try to get the return, that's not likely to go anywhere as the store has already refused.  Also, that's partly why I asked if the store asked fo the customer's information to try to see if there's a possibility that the amount charged included a plan fee. There really wouldn't be much reason for a merchant to collect the customer's information unless the plan was being activated on-stie.

Going back to the price of the SIM card, the merchant would have had to have lied to consumer about the price to be forced to reverse the transaction.  However, in most cases, that's not going to be provable, and when it comes to the transaction, the merchant could actually prove the customer agreed to the price because of either cash changing hands or the fact that a credit/debit card terminal would display the price and the consumer would have to agree to that price.  If this is a matter of the customer grugingly paying the price, that would be unfortunate, but would also be a case of the buyer agreeing to pay it.

The best the customer could hope for in the case would ber a goodwill gesture by Public Mobile.  If this transaction was paid by credit card, that would be of no advantage to the customer. The credit card issuer will wonder why the customer approved the transaction.  This sounds to be a case of the customer being satisfied and/or agreeing to pay the price at the store, but then being upset after-the-fact because of realizing that the product was available cheaper elsewhere.  A credit card issuer would not consider that to be valid grounds for a chargeback.

@xahshx 

I disagree with @computergeek541  keep the sim card intact. You can easily check if its been activated by putting the 19 digit sim card # in the that box in the activation portal and seeing if it comes up as already in use or allows you to go to the next step. Don't worry you can stop there it wont actually activate the sim card.

I have problem with the way the salesperson dealt with you and the refusal to issue a refund if this is JJ telecom an authorized koodo and telus dealer. This is not the first time a koodo "employee" has been less than honourable. But if you have an unactivated sim card that is still intact and not "unhinged" from the original cardboard card I wouldn't even check it for activation but instead find the appropriate koodo or telus department to talk to that one of their authorized dealers is refusing a basic refund. Hopefully you paid by credit card.

You can also leave a review by going to "find a store" at the bottom of the page and type in the address and click on "list" at the top right corner of the map when it brings you to Montreal. I'd like @Alan_K  to be aware of this....and please keep us informed of your progress. I'm sure Quebec has some retail return laws in place allowing return for a full refund within 7 days along with telus/ koodo that this dealer is refusing to uphold.

@xahshx wrote:

On 12/3/2021, I went to buy a SIM card from 1041 Flury Est retail store in Montreal. The salesman sold it to me for 23$ with taxes. He gave me a mysterious slip as a receipt. I asked for a detailed invoice and he gave me another one (no. 12046). I have and suspect it is fake. I went to the website the SIM price is only 10$. I complained to the live chat and advised me to refund as I did not activate the SIM card or report to the police. The salesman refused to refund !!!. I went to the police station and advised me to contact the Customer Protection Department. I hope Public Mobile can investigate the matter.  My email is: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please do not post infromation about yourself, as a message posted here can be seen by anyone. It's unfortunate, but  stores can charge what they like for a product. By paying the fee, you may have agreed to that price.  Are you saying that the person lied to about how much you were going to be charged?  $23 sounds to be the price of a plan.  Are you certain that's not what you were charged for?  If the salesperson collected your information, I would say that the SIM card might already be active. I would suggest to try it in your phone to see if the servcie is working.

Need Help? Let's chat.