cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hassle-free experience at Walmart (Mississauga-Dixie)

A toooouch disappointed to not see the uniquely designed kiosks that I had seen in one of those PR/marketing releases, but very happy with the service at the Walmart's Wireless section. Moving my month-old Chatr number was an option but I decided to discard it. The representative was extremely patient while I made some permutations (number selection).

 

Something that I noticed: if I ignored a number that was available (customised), I would not be able to select it again if I skipped, searched for something else, and then decided to come back for it. The explanation given to me was, "Someone else—at another location—might have chosen that now". Well - either that (talk about coincidences) or that's how the system was designed.

 

All said - I was up and running with a new SIM in no time. Must say I was tempted to ask the representative for a referral (for the $10 credit) but decided against it.

 

Glad to be with Public Mobile. Looking forward to making some meaningful contributions here too.

 

EDITED to add: And yes, as pointed out below, the SIM was indeed free. Realised it much later. Having come from a country where operator SIM cards are free by default, I didn't notice this till now. Thank you for pointing that out.

 

Come to think... My earlier SIM - Chatr - was also free but that was because the Chatr officer ran into some issues while billing, it was close to EOD too, and so he waived it off pronto. 

Mayor / Maire

Re: Hassle-free experience at Walmart (Mississauga-Dixie)


@karthiks wrote:

A toooouch disappointed to not see the uniquely designed kiosks that I had seen in one of those PR/marketing releases, but very happy with the service at the Walmart's Wireless section. Moving my month-old Chatr number was an option but I decided to discard it. The representative was extremely patient while I made some permutations (number selection).

 

Something that I noticed: if I ignored a number that was available (customised), I would not be able to select it again if I skipped, searched for something else, and then decided to come back for it. The explanation given to me was, "Someone else—at another location—might have chosen that now". Well - either that (talk about coincidences) or that's how the system was designed.

 

All said - I was up and running with a new SIM in no time. Must say I was tempted to ask the representative for a referral (for the $10 credit) but decided against it.

 

Glad to be with Public Mobile. Looking forward to making some meaningful contributions here too.


Good to hear you had a positive customer experience at Walmart. Welcome to Public Mobile.

FYI...you have the ability to change your cell number, once every 30 days here at PM. If you find a satisfying permutation, you can change it...for free.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Hassle-free experience at Walmart (Mississauga-Dixie)

And Walmart is the only place to get SIM for free. WOW doesn't care, when ask for free SIM, the guy just said "go Walmart"

Mayor / Maire

Re: Hassle-free experience at Walmart (Mississauga-Dixie)

I wasn't aware that you would get a free sim at signup with walmart ,is this policy Canada wide?

Mayor / Maire

Re: Hassle-free experience at Walmart (Mississauga-Dixie)


@RossN wrote:

I wasn't aware that you would get a free sim at signup with walmart ,is this policy Canada wide?


It's available in the Kamloops BC store for an in-store activation.

Know that this is a Walmart thing...not Public Mobile. Vendors can do what they want. I think London Drugs might also have some in-store deals. But when it comes time for a Public Mobile promo that is online, then you won't want to use the store. And Walmart are more interested in selling you the activation than informing you of the online promo.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Hassle-free experience at Walmart (Mississauga-Dixie)


@z10user4 wrote:

@RossN wrote:

I wasn't aware that you would get a free sim at signup with walmart ,is this policy Canada wide?


It's available in the Kamloops BC store for an in-store activation.

Know that this is a Walmart thing...not Public Mobile

 

It is PM thing. Look at the PM's fine print. It says specifically that get SIM for free if activated in store in WOW and Walmart


Mayor / Maire

Re: Hassle-free experience at Walmart (Mississauga-Dixie)


@liuxinbing wrote:

@z10user4 wrote:

@RossN wrote:

I wasn't aware that you would get a free sim at signup with walmart ,is this policy Canada wide?


It's available in the Kamloops BC store for an in-store activation.

Know that this is a Walmart thing...not Public Mobile

 

It is PM thing. Look at the PM's fine print. It says specifically that get SIM for free if activated in store in WOW and Walmart



I'm no lawyer but I seem to think that's a footnote reference to when they repeat the promo of free sim and 2nd 30 days credit. Notice footnote #9. If it was an always on thing for the stores then all of the stores would be able to and not just Walmart and WOW. Maybe they do. Dunno.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Hassle-free experience at Walmart (Mississauga-Dixie)


@RossN wrote:

I wasn't aware that you would get a free sim at signup with walmart ,is this policy Canada wide?


Not sure about all the Walmarts across the country, but I can verify that the one in Oshawa, Ontario did provide a free SIM card around a week ago when I switched to Public Mobile. Smiley Happy 

Re: Hassle-free experience at Walmart (Mississauga-Dixie)


@z10user4 wrote:

@liuxinbing wrote:

@z10user4 wrote:

@RossN wrote:

I wasn't aware that you would get a free sim at signup with walmart ,is this policy Canada wide?


It's available in the Kamloops BC store for an in-store activation.

Know that this is a Walmart thing...not Public Mobile

 

It is PM thing. Look at the PM's fine print. It says specifically that get SIM for free if activated in store in WOW and Walmart



I'm no lawyer but I seem to think that's a footnote reference to when they repeat the promo of free sim and 2nd 30 days credit. Notice footnote #9. If it was an always on thing for the stores then all of the stores would be able to and not just Walmart and WOW. Maybe they do. Dunno.


Sim cards are not always free. @z10user4 is correct in that the $0 sim card reference on the plan page is only in reference to the Flash weekend sales.

Re: Hassle-free experience at Walmart (Mississauga-Dixie)


@RossN wrote:

I wasn't aware that you would get a free sim at signup with walmart ,is this policy Canada wide?


If there is no Public Mobile promotion, the store doesn't have to do anything about a free sim card.  With the question of it is the policy of the third-party company who sells them at Walmart's mobile's department rule, internal company policy isn't something that customers are normally privy to. If they don't advertise free sim with activation, its completely YMMV.

 

When Public Mobile advertises free sim cards with in-store activation, it's supposed to be at all of the official activation points.