cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get a free sim

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Walmart is currently offering a free sim card with in store activations. Larger retailers and mobile dealers will likely match this offer if you ask. Call ahead and ask at your local: london drugs, mobilicity, the mobile shop, wow mobile and celluriffic are all authorised public mobile dealers.

24 REPLIES 24

@krystlemcdowall  This is a common theme with Wal-Mart. Many locations refuse to sell SIM cards on their own and is very frustrating from a public mobile retail partner. Unfortunately it seems pm has chosen not to address this issue with Wal-Mart or if they have then Wal-Mart itself has left it up to individual locations and their subcontractors to decide what pm services they choose to offer.

This is why Wal-Mart and koodo (for charging activation fees) are at the bottom of my list of recommended retailers for pm. I do understand that Wal-Mart is often the closest or only retailer available  to purchase/activate a SIM card. You can leave a review of your experience on the retail locator page.

@krystlemcdowall wrote:

When I went to walmart to buy just a sim they said they dont sell sim by itself --only with new activations

@krystlemcdowall  Walmarts are bad that way.
Although you shouldn't have to, I usually call ahead to save a unnecessary trip.

You can locate the store here and leave a review.

krystlemcdowall
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I went to walmart to buy just a sim they said they dont sell sim by itself --only with new activations

@CannonFodder   I do agree...walmarts independent mobility department is regularly doing a disservice to their reputation. But I have to at least give them kudos when a salesperson does good. I should have suggested that @Dolphin1  review that location on pm's retail locator site. Unfortunately there does not appear to be the ability for consumers to see reviews so as to know which retailers offer good service or bad service so they can make the choice to bring their custom.

@darlicious wrote:

@Dolphin1I accepted your reply as the solution because you managed to solve an issue many people have...wanting to get a SIM from walmart but do the activation yourself. I have many timesvwalked behind the counter at London drugs and helped with the activation by filling in the details.

My, but aren't you ballsy!!! Surprised they didn't tell you to take a hike.

You have gotten Wal-Mart to do it and get the free SIM card. Bravo! It's not quite from the comfort of your own home...but you have a salesperson to help if necessary. Its a win win for the sales associate, yourself and a win for your pocketbook with an extra $10 in it. Nicely done.

Yeah, @Dolphin1  , kudos on that one!

Now people know it is possible...and Wal-Mart has improved their image.

Well, maybe that particular WalMart..... I doubt the CSRs at all Wally World locations will respond in the same way.

@Dolphin1  Or I thought I accepted your post as a solution...i have now.

dboxtvinfo715
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

let me know if you go, where? 

Good luck !

Nothing is free

@Dolphin1I accepted your reply as the solution because you managed to solve an issue many people have...wanting to get a SIM from walmart but do the activation yourself. I have many timesvwalked behind the counter at London drugs and helped with the activation by filling in the details. You have gotten Wal-Mart to do it and get the free SIM card. Bravo! It's not quite from the comfort of your own home...but you have a salesperson to help if necessary. Its a win win for the sales associate, yourself and a win for your pocketbook with an extra $10 in it. Nicely done. Now people know it is possible...and Wal-Mart has improved their image.

Dolphin1

@dboxtvinfo715 wrote:

I rather activate myself 

When I was at Walmart I told the person I would rather enter in all my information on my own.  She said that was fine and spun the screen around and handed me the keyboard.  I did the whole set up myself and received the free sim card.

Did this last week again at the same Walmart for my husbands set up.

@Emmamcc902 wrote:

Thank you for sharing this! I hadn't heard about this and my brother was thinking about getting his new phone set up through PM!

@Emmamcc902  It was a boxing week promotion so call ahead to make sure they are still offering it and other retailers will match it. The free month promo will likely end soon (New Year's Eve?) and you can still get the bonus $20 referral credit on top of the monthly $1  reward and your bro still gets the $10 referral credit. Any plan qualifies but choose at least the $25 and switch to the $15 (if that's all you want) on the second month to get the extra credit. Btw..choosing any plan $25-$50 and switching to the $15 on month 2 w/autopay will all cost $53+tax over 6 months. The more you pay up front just gives you extra data to enjoy that first month. I recommend the $40 w/5gb then switch to the $15 plan and your next payment will be for month six -$13+tax. ($40+$13=$53+tax)

Emmamcc902

Thank you for sharing this! I hadn't heard about this and my brother was thinking about getting his new phone set up through PM!

Bettycaligiuri

Fixed - am new to PM community - thanks for info!

@Bettycaligiuri wrote:

If you activate yourself using a referral code from someone, you will get a $10 bill credit and so will the person whose referral code you used 🙂  

Please click the 3 dots on top right of your post and edit the post to remove the referral code you posted. It's against the terms of public mobile forums to post referral codes

Bettycaligiuri

If you activate yourself using a referral code from someone, you will get a $10 bill credit and so will the person whose referral code you used 🙂  

dboxtvinfo715

Bravo

Mountainmaxman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Amazon has them on sale now for only 6.99 each plus tax free shipping. Limit 2 per order

55C90DF6-B9C5-4FAB-B375-2C8C39609D48.png

dboxtvinfo715

Got mine amazon

@dboxtvinfo715 wrote:

if I can pick up and activate myself would be great 

@dboxtvinfo715  That would be nice but the free SIM in this case is tied to Wal-Mart getting the commission for the activation.

dboxtvinfo715

if I can pick up and activate myself would be great 

dboxtvinfo715

I rather activate myself 

dboxtvinfo715

I just bought one yesterday. 

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

PM may have a free sim card offer coming in several days for anyone thinking of signing up. Walmart has been doing this for a while now. I signed up with KOODO about 2 years ago and got the free sim.

@liuxinbing  Yes Wal-Mart will usually offer a free SIM but this is currently advertised. London drugs and the mobile shop will match but it is always good to call and confirm first. All other retailers it's up to them...? An advertised offer always makes a big difference on whether other retailers will match but if they have a price matching policy they will if you are refused ask for the manager. The mobile shop will also give optimum points, check your offers for bonuses.

liuxinbing

Walmart has been doing this free SIM for long time. I got first in this April then last week. 

No the other stores will not match. I went to WOW asking to match Walmart, the guy said no, you go Walmart.

Need Help? Let's chat.