cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Walmart no longer offer free-sim with activation there?

poke53
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I went to Walmart a few days ago to activate a new plan, and they told me that I would need to pay $10 even though I am activating there.

I tried telling them that I have activated there 4 times before and have always been given a free-sim.

I decided to just take the sim home and activate myself after being told $10 is mandatory, but they would not let me and said I HAVE to activate at Walmart even after paying the $10 fee.

Is this the case going forward? Can I ask Moderator to contact the rep and issue me a refund?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

@mimmo  I do agree. Walmart being one of the first and the largest retailer selling public mobile im sure has been given a free hand with their policy per location. Being one of the most accessible retailers for canadians across canada the wield extra powers in the retail world. Its still unfortunate.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious this issue has been going on since walmarts started selling sum cards.  And pm has been told the issue over and over.  It is the policy of the company to sell with activation. If pm could do something they would have already.   But pm is I believe toothless in this issue.   

My gut feeling is Telus is just happy that they will sell and activate simcards, as the alternative(I am assuming,) if they forced walmart to sell only sims might be not selling Telus and Koodo.  Its possible as other stores (t-booth and wirleswavewave)  sell Bell and Rogers brands but not Telus.   This is all assumtions/speculation, and seperate from the question that was asked namely "refund for sim cost".

@poke53  Both @popping and @mimmo are correct a pm SIM is $10 But many Wal-Mart's will offer it for free with an in store activation. What they are doing wrong is constantly refusing to sell the SIM without activation. As a retail partner maybe @Alan_K or @Tiana_V will start looking into the locations that continue with this practice. You can do your part by reviewing that location on the "locate a retailer" page on pms website so there is a record of these particular locations that pm regularily monitors the reviews and takes action when deemed fit.

popping

@poke53 

Free SIM card at WM with activation is YMMV.  It depends on the WM and the rep who you are dealing with.  It is better to call your local WM to confirm before going.

mimmo

Sim cards cost $10. 

If you were able to get them free then it was a local/ unadvertised promotion.  

Sometimes PM has free sims  with activations at retail stores.

Need Help? Let's chat.