cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Activate SIM - number not working

MattWawz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi There,   The online form is not accepting my Public Mobile SIM card number, which i purchased at a local mall   Number is: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
15 REPLIES 15

MattWawz

Thanks for the help all.

My problem is resolved; here's what happened.

When I initially attempted to register the sim, there was an error displayed, and I was not able to log into my account, but trying to re-register the sim did not work either.

My suspicion is that the number I was porting over had not been released yet and it caused an error. Several days later I tried inserting the sim into my phone and it worked, and my account login was working.

My guess is that my account was stuck and someone came along and un-stuck it, or that it cleared itself. Either way, the issue's resolved.

Thanks to everyone who replied on here. Much appreciated. 

@MattWawz Don't despare too much. I've had 4 glitch free years. But it's always best to BE PREPARED when changing carriers.

Hang in there.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Sorry to hear about that @MattWawz

Yes it can be a discouraging experience. 

I had two accounts moved over from Rogers. One went smoothly and the second one required Moderator intervention. However, the issue was resolved and I am glad to be able to save on my monthly cellular phone bill each month. I haven't had to make any pressing changes to my account. It's good to take a good look around to see what kind of issues could crop up since you are already registered on the forum. You can also see that some issues that get resolved.

It's really your decision in the end. The cheaper cost does have a tradeoff in some areas.

There is one thread about a failed activation as well.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Activation-Failed/td-p/246243

tbark

It can take up to 72 hours for moderators to respond when it is busy. 

It is possible your SIM card got burnt after the first failure. I had a failed activation at Walmart and then the SIM would not work, I had to get a new SIM. If you have a Walmart close, I would take it in and have them activate it as they usually provide the SIM for free when they o the activation.

MattWawz

thanks, yeah, this is a bad start to my relationship with Public Mobile. Might take my business elsewhere.

Cheers

Jarvar

Good to hear that you already messaged the moderators.

Unfortunately you'll have to wait for them to get back to you.

The wait time can be up to 48+ hours, but sometimes you'll hear back from them even sooner and get your issue resolved.

I really hope they can get to you soon.

Jarvar

Here is how to contact a Moderator Directly.

To send a private message to a moderator click this link.  In your message please include:

- PM Phone Number

- 4 digit PIN (or at least 3 of the following to verify your identity)

- account number

- date of birth

- complete address listed on account with postal code

- email address on account

- most commonly called numbers

- alternate number listed on the account

- last payment date and amount

- last 4 digits of the credit card

-Detailed explanation

Community Moderators are available from Monday-Friday 9am(Eastern) to 9pm(Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(Eastern) to 7:30pm(Eastern)

* I am happy to help, but I am not a Moderator please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *

MattWawz

Thanks @Jarvar.

I had contacted the moderator team directly and that was 4 hours ago so I got tired of waiting and posted my question to the forums. 

Since i've already tried a different browser i dont think clearing my cache will do anything so I guess i'll have to wait the 24 hours or to hear back from the moderator team. 

Thanks

Jarvar

That's a good catch @MattWawz

I remember seeing on another thread where someone was trying to setup their account and the activation was stuck. This was the thread

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Signup-process-help/td-p/287822

This was the receommendation:

Your activation has hung up. Start again at              Activate a SIM Card            after clearing your browser's cache, close your browser, and open on incognito/private mode; or use a different browser. 

If you get  a message "invalid SIM", you will need to wait until tomorrow to clear the partial activation. 

If failure continues tomorrow, click this: message to moderators to send a private message to the moderator team with a description of your issue along with your SIM number. 

Moderator hours are: Monday to Friday, 9 am (ET) to 9 pm (ET); Saturday - Sunday 9 am (ET) - 7:30 pm (ET). Usually they answer within in 24 hours, but can take a few days.

BE PREPARED

I would suggest that you contact the Moderator team directly to see if this is the case.

The last time someone with an oracle status @Luddite was able to provide some insight. 

Hopefully someone else will show up to give a better explanation than I.

MattWawz

I was using Chrome.

I've now tried with IE and i'm getting the same problem, except next to the 'Sim' field, there is the message "Invalid Sim"

This SIM should not be invalid, its on the side of a card i purchased at the mall.

A few days ago, I tried to sign up, and when i submitted, there was an error and the application was not completed, perhaps this error is why the sim is seen as invalid. please help 

Jarvar

Thank you for the information @MattWawz

Use this link to activate your sim:

https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

You will then have your Public Mobile number.

After you do that, use this link to create a selfserve account:

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/self-registration/

What Web Browser are you using? You might want to start off by trying a different web browser.

Sometimes there is a glitch with different browsers.

MattWawz

ok i've removed it

MattWawz

Hi, thanks for responding.

When I complete the signup form and click submit, the page reloads with the box for the SIM card highlighted - which indicates to me that there is a problem with the SIM card number however there is no message displayed clarifying what the issue is. 

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@MattWawz, please remove your personal information from the post.  This is a fully publicly accessible forum, and your SIM number is considered private info.

Only share this type of information via private message to the Moderator_Team for service issues.

Jarvar

Welcome to Public Mobile @MattWawz

I am sorry to hear about your frustrations.

What kind of error are you getting? How far are you getting in the sign up process?

If you require specific assistance with your account, it's good to message the Moderator Team directly instead of posting personal information on here.

you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue.

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

However you should be able to get assistance by sending your SIM card number when asking for help since you probably don't have all this information setup if you aren't able to setup an account with your SIM card just yet.

For future reference on how to contact a moderator also is a link here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/The-Public-Mobile-Moderator-Team/ta-p/...

Need Help? Let's chat.