cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't buy a SIM and setup at home?

ahcz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Went to Walmart last night and they wouldn't let me just buy a SIM and set it up at home.  Is that normal?

Then the guy said we couldn't port number.  Unfortunately, I trusted him ... but I get home and see there shouldn't be an issue.  So, feel I got someone who really didn't understand.

Now, I'm trying to cancel & get a refund and try again.   ANyone know what's the best way to handle that?

11 REPLIES 11

amx96
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Seems like the rep didn’t know what to do or was confused. 
walmart can definitely port and set up for you but you can also do it yourself at home by just purchasing the SIM card from the store.

ahcz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks everyone for the tips.

I created a ticket with the mods at the same time as this post have learned:

1) Walmart should have just sold the SIM.  He also tried to push me to Freedom instead -- so figured there was a commission thing

2) They could/should have ported.  He said I needed an account number besides my phone # that I didn't have.  Still can't find with current carrier (Petro Mobility) but I'll sort that out

3) Even tho I was assigned a number @ activation, the mods can still (via ticket) port the number to my account.

Still processing the ticket ... but this should all work out fine.  I'll update if more info.

Thanks for the help!

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ahcz :Yeah that one of the many reasons I never spend my money at walmart, other Canadian retailers have less incidents of liars and incompetents, such as the one you dealt with at walmart.

Next time go London Drugs or somewhere honest where they just sell you the SIM and nothing else.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

@ahcz 

You can contact mods and ask them to port your number

Did you get the sim for free? You can't get sim for free and activate it at home, but you should be able to purchase it unactivated and do activation at home.

Did the clerk apply your friend's referral code? You should check if your friend got the credit, if not you may be able to revert referral to your friend. I can't see any other reason why would they prevent your from activating yourself besides using their own referral code.

Also if you didn't get sim for free so they forced you to activate there for their own benefit against your wish, you should seriously consider giving them honest review

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ahcz : Don't use the activation link. You've already done that. Use the account creation link. You can transfer numbers from other providers using the Change Number function except oddly Telus or Koodo that need moderator assistance.

yes.. their rep knowledge is an issue... they are one shop for all, they don't really care as much for Tier3 providers, I guess they earn less (or none) commission for Tier3

Honest, Since Walmart /London Drugs/Loblaw, etc can resell for PM, I don't understand why Telus and Koodo kiosk don't.  New customers would have much more confident going to a Telus/Koodo kiosks for activation...

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@ahcz wrote:

Went to Walmart last night and they wouldn't let me just buy a SIM and set it up at home.  Is that normal?

Then the guy said we couldn't port number.  Unfortunately, I trusted him ... but I get home and see there shouldn't be an issue.  So, feel I got someone who really didn't understand.

Now, I'm trying to cancel & get a refund and try again.   ANyone know what's the best way to handle that?

Hi @ahcz other customers had the same issue with Walmart not selling Public Mobile sim card without activating with them.  sorry about your unfortunate encounter.

After in-store activation, 

when you get home, open a self-serve account here https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

Or go here https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/self-registration/

Log in your self serve account.  Click on Plans and Add-ons.  If you see your number there, then activation is complete.  That means you will be able to make calls and send texts, and data working.  Keep using your old sim card to be able to receive calls and text.

Next, you have to contact the Moderator Team to port or transfer your number from old provider to Public Mobile.

The faster way to contact the Moderator Team is by using the chat bubble on bottom right. 

Type Port Request

>> talk to human

>> Account-specific question

>> No, I need  human now

>> Click here to submit a ticket

You may also send a private message to the Moderator Team here.  but this might take longer for the moderators to reply.

Expect a reply from the moderators within 48 hours (much less using the chat bubble).  Keep an eye on the envelope icon on top right for a number to pop up.  that would be the moderator's reply.

Keep using your old provider sim card until it stops working.  Then, your port is complete.

Welcome to Public Mobile

RosieR

@hTideGnow 

With Wal-Mart, it's completely YMMV   

My experience there was in relation to asking about 3G data.   The information was completely erroneous as was their representation of the payment problems they stated is problematic to everyone.  (it isn't...)

Also, bear in mind some activation promotions are ineligible for in-store activations, and it's likely Wal-Mart won't tell you that unless you specifically ask.

You also want to be sure they're using the correct referral code if you've got one from a family or friend to use on activation.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

if you just want to buy a SIM and if you are Amazon Prime user, try getting from Amazon.

Curious, why don't you let Walmart setup for you, I had some experience with them, they are good.  They make sure at least the form is completed and activated.  Last time I had issue, they actually tried different SIM and called PM for me and get it resolved before I go home.

for Porting, Walmart did it for me as well... Even if they don't , once the line is setup, you can  go back home and submit the port request after easily.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@ahcz 

Regrettably, if the activation was done at Wal-Mart, you can't undo and redo that.  (without buying a whole new SIM card, and creating another whole account with a new e-mail address)

I've had similar very questionable and outright troubling encounters at Wal-Mart.   It's very disappointing that such a large retailer would allow their mobile center to have employees misinform or misdirect customers, all in the name of making a buck out of a more expensive piece of the activation pie.

I would recommend asking this Community in advance of making future purchase decisions or choices surrounding your account.

Welcome to Public Mobile!!!

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@ahcz 

Unfortunately, Walmart has a bad reputation sometimes for not just selling the SIM card without activation.  The rep loses on a small commission for activation.  You could leave a review on the vendor.  You should be able to buy SIM card alone. 

Did you activate a new plan at Walmart then with a temporary number?  For Telus and Koodo ports, you will need moderator help to complete port.  For other companies, you should be able to port via your self service account.  

Here is a help article on porting:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

Since prepaid, Public mobile usually does not offer refunds.  Better just to resolve the issue. 

Need Help? Let's chat.