cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better Than Expected from Walmart (Free SIM Card)

MandyJ
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Went to Walmart today (in Oshawa, ON) to switch over to Public Mobile. I signed up for the $15 plan and the full process was completed without any problems. In fact, everything was up and running before I even left the store. (I thought there might be some downtime while it switched, but there was none.)

Anyway, my nice surprise of the day - the SIM card was provided free of charge. I was fully expecting to pay the advertised $10 for it, so I was very happy to get it for free!

So yea, if you're planning on using Public Mobile, then it might be worth checking out your local Walmart first to see if they are still offering the free SIM cards with activation.

8 REPLIES 8

tdent145
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I noticed to at the Amherstburg Ontario Walmart where I signed up said there was a promo going on for the sim card. Signing over was quick and easy I was in and out in about 30 minutes (picked up a couple things after for the house). Walmart seems easy to switch over I did the $50 dollar one cause still cheaper then my old plan and got more then I did. 

MandyJ

@ouyangtracey wrote:

I wonder if all retail stores offer free SIM card promotion for PM.

It seems that some do and some don't. I guess it's up to the particular store. Though there are Public Mobile promotions done every so often where all (participating) stores are supposed to provide free SIM cards with activation as part of the promotion, but I'm not sure how often these special deals happen.

One of these special promotions was just announced today actually:

Link: FLASH SALE! Activate any $25+/mo plan and get a bonus 5 GB of data + get a SIM for $0

Here's a bit about the free SIM card promotion:

@Alan_K  wrote:

Plus, until May 31, 2019 at 11:59PM ET we are offering a $0 SIM card when you activate a 30-day plan in-store at participating retailers!

$0 SIM Card: SIM cards will be $0 when you activate in-store only at participating retailers.

• Participating retailers include:
    • Walmart
    • London Drugs
    • The Mobile Shop
    • WOW! mobile boutique
    • Select Koodo Authorized Dealers

ouyangtracey
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I also switch from Fido to PM today in Walmart (BC).  No charges for SIM card, which is a big surprise. Too bad I don't have any friend using PM to get the referral credit.

I wonder if all retail stores offer free SIM card promotion for PM.

MandyJ

And once again I'm pleasantly surprised by Public Mobile. 😄 I'm so happy I decided to make the switch!

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@MandyJ, you will also get next month's $2 AutoPay credit before your next payment is due.

So your next payment due will be:
=> $11 + tax     ($15 - $2*2)
=> Or   $1 + tax     ($10 extra credit if you activated with a referral)

@MandyJ Yes, the $2 credit would be for the Autopay, it will be applied to your next renewal.

MandyJ

The SIM card was free. My full charge came to just under $17, which was the $15+tax for the prepaid plan. I did sign up for the AutoPay option, which (I'm assuming) is what gave me a $2 credit in my account.

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

Great!

Was the SIM free, or you paid for it and received a $10 credit in your account?

Just so others know, you can always get $10 off when activating. When you activate and use a friend's (or any PM's member, you can ask some here) number as a referral, you get a $10 credit and they get $1/month of their bill 🙂 Don't hesitate to ask people here their number in private messages!

Need Help? Let's chat.