cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad experience

WHYung
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had a very bad experience when I purchased public mobile last Sunday, Dec 1 at Telus Koodo in Center Point Mall, North York, Ontario. I was told $30 charge for the SIM card. I thought it should be free according to the promotion and the staff checked online and told me it was applied in BC only. I did pay for it. I checked at home online that SIM card is free of charge at all stores in Ontario, too. I went back next day for refund but I got a very insulting and impolit response from the stuffs. I hope no more people gets this again like me.

20 REPLIES 20

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@WHYung

Check your receipt(s) to see exactly what you bought and exactly how much you paid for it.

Check your Self-Serve to see exactly what you got and exactly how much it should cost.

If there's a discrepancy then report it to the PM Mods (photos or screenshots or whatever) first, report it to the manager at the retail location next.

If you have been scammed/overcharged/misinformed AND you've attempted to communicate with the carrier (Public Mobile) AND the retailer (Koodo store) refuses to correct it (cancel, refund, or credit the transaction within 10 business days of purchase, as per Canadian Consumer Law) then you can register a consumer complaint for arbitration with a corporate rep ("ombudsman") or with the CCTS. 

JenL
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@wetcoaster thanks for the tip. 

JenL

@JenL wrote:

Thanks for the info.

@JenL 

Can you please quote the post you are replying to, or tag the person in question? 

This is only a short thread compared to others but is really unclear already what context your statement fits into. it gets worse the longer the thread is.

JenL

Looks to be $50 for every 30 day cycle. 

JenL

Thanks for the info.

JenL

That's what I thought, they're in stores for free...when I went to Wal-Mart and they told me I can only buy them online. They told me they're $10. Seems people are having very different experiences with PM sim cards. 

Suganglittle
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

There can be some shady dealing with the sales reps You have to keep an eye on them at all times.

Callan89
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey!

I would consider calling that branch manager and complaining! The sim cards should not be more that 10$ in Canada. Your bill might be larger after the plan set up thought, but they should have warned you of all of this before they changed you. Additionally, I'm sorry you weren't treated very nicely. I would complain about those staff members too! 

@dna2016 wrote:

@WHYung just a heads up for ANY purchase you make.  If it doesn't seem right, then it probably isn't.  Even if the SIM card wasn't free, why would you agree to pay $30?  SIM cards are $10.  Also, there are many more locations you can go to to get Public Mobile set up.  You should have just left and go somewhere else.  You live in the GTA, you could go to pretty much any mall, or any Wal-Mart within a few kms from Centre Point Mall.

You got robbed for sure.  If you have the receipt I'd go back and ask when the manager is in, or get the manager's name and contact (i.e. email).  If the service is really bad and you really want to voice your displeasure, you could go to the Telus website and send in an email complaint, or even contact the Ombudsman.  Every major company has a Ombudsman.  Be ready for about up to 2 week process, but if you really want to make that store learn a lesson then there are proper channels you can get in touch with to make sure that your voice gets heard.

Why are you chastising the victim? If it was that simple, there would never be any victims of scams.  So let's not question what the victim did wrong.  Let's put the heat on the perpetrator.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@WHYung just a heads up for ANY purchase you make.  If it doesn't seem right, then it probably isn't.  Even if the SIM card wasn't free, why would you agree to pay $30?  SIM cards are $10.  Also, there are many more locations you can go to to get Public Mobile set up.  You should have just left and go somewhere else.  You live in the GTA, you could go to pretty much any mall, or any Wal-Mart within a few kms from Centre Point Mall.

You got robbed for sure.  If you have the receipt I'd go back and ask when the manager is in, or get the manager's name and contact (i.e. email).  If the service is really bad and you really want to voice your displeasure, you could go to the Telus website and send in an email complaint, or even contact the Ombudsman.  Every major company has a Ombudsman.  Be ready for about up to 2 week process, but if you really want to make that store learn a lesson then there are proper channels you can get in touch with to make sure that your voice gets heard.

@WHYung wrote:

Yes, total I paid $80 plus tax. I will report to the moderator of PM. Thank you for all the replies.

YIKES !! I've never heard of anyone being charged that much for a PM sim card. The usual retail price is $10...and there are promos wherein the sim is free. 

I hope you get resolution to this apparant rip-off....please keep us posted.

WHYung

Yes, total I paid $80 plus tax. I will report to the moderator of PM. Thank you for all the replies.

@WHYung wrote:

I purchased the plan $50/30 days. It should be 8.5GB, free SIM card, 1 GB add-on.

I'm a bit confused @WHYung ...sounds like you paid $50 for the plan and an additional $30 for the sim...is this correct sir ?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@WHYung , your experience is totally unacceptable for a store that carries the company logo.  This is way worse of a transgression than the poor customer service at Walmart.  SIM cards have never cost $30 and then charging when there is an ongoing free SIM promo is crazy!  I assume you have receipts to back up your assertion and that the $30 was not for other items not related to the SIM card purchase.  I suggest using the store locator to put in a review of the store.  Follow that up with a call to Telus customer relations and tell them how the store misled you.  Along the way, if you get any kind of push back, go to the CCTS and launch a complaint.  @Tiana_V , you might want to keep an eye on this one.  

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/store-locator

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

That is not right

Please check your payment history also take the picture of your receipt

If there was a charge for the sim it should have been 0 

Please contact the moderators with all the screenshots and pictures, they may be able to help. Keep asking Simon to r talk to human' until he lets you. If they can help they will probably give you account credit

WHYung

I purchased the plan $50/30 days. It should be 8.5GB, free SIM card, 1 GB add-on.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can leave a review under the store locator.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/store-locator

Lowufo

Yeah this is exactly why I get sim cards from Amazon and do it myself on line. I set up two more accounts today for my sons 🙂

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@WHYung wrote:

I had a very bad experience when I purchased public mobile last Sunday, Dec 1 at Telus Koodo in Center Point Mall, North York, Ontario. I was told $30 charge for the SIM card. I thought it should be free according to the promotion and the staff checked online and told me it was applied in BC only. I did pay for it. I checked at home online that SIM card is free of charge at all stores in Ontario, too. I went back next day for refund but I got a very insulting and impolit response from the stuffs. I hope no more people gets this again like me.

Usual retail cost of sim is $10. You must have had a plan added to your costs. Can you log into My Account to see what plan you've subscribed to, then let us know and maybe we can explain your costs. If your plan was $15, the sim at $10...plus tax is close to $30. Sound about right ?

Make sure you take advanatge of the current Publiic Mobile free gifts of 1GB of data...FREE.

Also you can get the 400 minutes of International calling add-on while you're in Canada...FREE. Both free just for asking !

Need Help? Let's chat.