cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Service at Walmart

Em-735
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So just another post complaining about Walmart’s terrible service. A few weeks ago I made the decision to switch to Public Mobile, partially motivated by $25 refer a friend deal. I had heard some of the issues with buying SIM cards from Walmart, but thought I would give it a try because of the postal strike. 

So I asked the person at the cell phone counter for a public mobile SIM card, he initially tried to talk me out of Public Mobile, trying to convince me to go with another brand with similarly priced plans, and told me that I would wouldn’t like the service at all because there was no helpline I could call, only the online chat board. All in all this interaction was super patronizing, I came into the store already knowing what I wanted and he kept trying to talk me out of it and saying it was a bad decision.

When I tell him that I want to go with Public Mobile because of the deal, he says he will activate it in store but is not able to sell the SIM card. I tell him that I need to sign up online to get the deal, and anyways I don’t have all of my information on me so I can’t sign up on the spot, he tells me their system is the same as the online website so I’d get the same reward (does anyone know if this is true, based on the way the deal was worded it looks like it has to be done strictly online, and this guy was intentionally lying to me, but I'm not sure), and that I should just go into my contacts or message my friend to get their cell number, very pushy.

Anyways, I just told him I had to confirm my friend’s number and left the store to order the SIM card online instead.

38 REPLIES 38

Stormy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What is really sad with the BS that comes from Walmart about selling a SIM card versus activation is thast they don't do anything different than you would do at home. They don't have any access to PM or anything else, they still have to create an account using the self serve just like if you did it yourself.

Even sadder is they but up all the BS about it for a measly $5 in commision (was told that at a WOW Boutique) for doing it for you.

kazoo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Similar service as OP at Uptown Wally in Victoria. After discussion, I said, "OK, sell me a SIM and activate it, please." Sales person responds, "I've just closed." Beauty. My general rule is to buy only groceries a Wally. Guess I'll stick with that.

Next day, sales person at LD on Mackenzie was super helpful selling me the Public Mobile SIM and setting it up. Number ported within a couple of hours. If there was any phone down-time, I didn't notice. Thanks LD!

astronaut
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We had a simialr experience.  The Walmart representative told us we could only activate in store because they have a problem with people "burning" their sim cards and then trying to return them.  Eventually I convinced him to sell it to me after he wrote on the receipt no returns and made me sign it.

He also told me to go to London Drugs and they'd sell it to me for online activation.

I can give the mods all the details they want..  This guy was the Manager too.  Desmond at the Port Coquitlam Walmart.

tehowennathe

Today went to Walmart and brought a Sim for my mom so she could switch. It's odd that they wouldn't sell you sim. The guy was more then happy to help out. I buy vouchers from them and it's always good experience. Not sure why they wouldn't allow it. 

Em-735

@cappaj Unfortunatley I didn't get the name of the rep (and as much as I feel that I recieved bad service, I still hestitate to report retail workers, I know it can be a tough job sometimes!), but I'll look into messaging a moderator with the store details! Thanks! 

Em-735

@RobertQc
Thank you for your answer!
Sorry I didn't specify exactly, but yeah it was the "Until December 16 - Get a $25 Credit for You and Your Friend by Referring them to Public Mobile" deal, so based on your response I likely wouldn't have qualified for the $25 had I signed up with him in-store.

cappaj

You can always send a message to Moderator_Team to let them know which store that happened to you at and the name of the rep, if you caught it. They've said in the past that they want a heads up on when this happens so they can follow up. (That said, it doesn't seem like any follow up they've done has made a difference, I've never seen reports of stores changing their policies after a complaint happened here.)

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Em-735The definition of "online" vs "instore" - It depends how he would have activated, if he literally just used a browser and inserted your information then it would be the same as you doing it "online" but then he would not be receiving any commission (unless he put his number in for the referral) but that is likely against policy and could lose his job.

If he used his internal OSL software through his portal then it would be "in store"

Depending on what "offer" we discuss- There are usually different deals for "online" vs "in store" but sometimes the same in regards to referrals... but either way at the end of the day most people have a poor experience at walmart.

Once you get your sim card, if you activate before Dec 16th you will be able to get the $25 referal bonus yourself by doing it online (At home, on your computer, using publicmobile.ca).

Having an extra sim cards on hand is always a good option anyway- in the case of possible mail delays there are many other retail stores that sell sim cards. I know that wal~mart didn't work out but usually other stores do.

The Mobile Shop. There are nearly 200 The Mobile Shop locations across Canada, located in places like Loblaws and Real Canadian Superstore. Find the store closest to you by clicking here.

Wow! Mobile boutique. Not very many but in a lot of major cities. Find the closest to you by clicking here.

London Drugs operates 80 locations across 35 major markets. Check here to see if there is a location close to you Click here

K Mobile has 21 stores, see if one is close to you Click Here!

Need Help? Let's chat.