cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Ok, I am lazy I haven't checked if this has been suggested before....

When a new thread is opened and a question is asked by someone allow them to turn off commenting on their thread. This way, the thread doesn't get hijacked from another member for another question. I've seen this a lot of times.

Or even better: As soon as an answer is marked as "Solution" by the thread opener the commenting should be stopped. There is no more need for comments if the right answer has been given.

This way people also think more often about accepting answers as solutions and so threads are getting marked as solved. For us who check the new threads every day we save time because we don't have to go in.

6 Comments
kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

The idea of not being able to respond to Solved threads is a better one

This way Mods and Oracles can also close threads without locking per se and it stops people from bumping a thread 2 years later (even if same issue)

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I know a couple times I have replied to solved posts with some additional info or insights.

Another option could simply be after 10 days posts are closed.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@mimmo I forgot about follow ups (done those myself) but we should still be able to edit our responses on a locked thread I think?

Never tried

Or maybe just archive old threads once marked as solved to clear out forums for users with new issues / comments then

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sometimes the answer accepted is the wrong answer. The follow ups and the need for corrections is important.

alanbrenan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have to agree that follow-ups or corrections would be difficult if this option is implemented. Another thing that could happen would be a member locking their thread to stop a stream of discussion, which could incite an additional thread being made to continue the locked decision.

I believe locking threads - as it pertains to this forum - should be a responsibility left to moderators. In the case a thread not being locked causes serious issues, I believe it could be handled using pre-existing methods.

Need Help? Let's chat.