cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clogan2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think that "Public Mobile" is just a bit too long, especially for the iPhone: "PM" would suffice. It seems petty, but it'd be a small, fairly inexpensive change.

IMG_0179 (1).jpg

Even worse on smaller iPhones...

IMG_3053.jpg

18 Comments
NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

It doesn't stay on my Android phone when I m using it. It stays just on lock screen. So probably iPhone only have this problem.

manil_c
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
It's a good idea, even iOS users need a less crowded top bar if they can get it 🙂
Griff
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Or go the route of dropping the Mobile and just saying Public in the top right like how Virgin Mobile just shows up as Virgin.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello, My 2013 and 2015 Moto G units have the option of not showing the carrier's name in the notification bar. Since there is no possibility of inadvertent roaming on PM, why not disable the display of the carrier's name, if you have that option?
berryfoss
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The carrier name is toooo long for iPhone users. Looks terrible on ios status bar. Please make it shorter like " PM" or just "Public". 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Looks great on Android 🙂  I like it showing Public Mobile.  I guess if I had to choose between the other two options, I'd prefer PM over Public, but my vote is still for the full name, and for Apple to fix iOS to not always show the carrier name in the header bar!  (I know, "Apple knows best"....)

PMcNamara16
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I agree! Either Public or PM would suffice as it really does clutter up the top bar of my iPhone 6. 

PM is also my initials, so that would be kinda cool as well. 🙂 

deltatux
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Definitely an iOS/Motorola problem, but I don't mind it just showing PUBLIC. Though, do note that this is likely a SIM card thing, if they decide to fix this, they'll have to issue new SIM cards. I used to have the old Rogers SIM card (back during the 2G era) and they printed ROGERS WIRELESS, which is a lot longer and annoying.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire
It can't be a SIM card issue, it would need to get name from the tower. But either way this is really an Apple issue (they have threads already with people asking to hide carrier name). And this is a non issue if you have a jail broken iPhone which supports hiding. I have heard some apps do this as well if phone not jail broken.
Status changed to: Not for us
Igor_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Thanks for your idea @clogan2!

Keeping the full name is the standard approach for carriers, and we don't see how this idea will really benefit our customers or solve a problem. 

Need Help? Let's chat.