cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why the quality of us roaming is so bad

jbtzhm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is not the first time I added us roaming data plan.  however, it is so bad.  in NYC it can only use 2g. the plan can't be used for any app on my phone.  please do something to improve it. 

23 REPLIES 23

bumblebee

Update on this: I tried the roaming add-on again, this time manually selecting AT&T as per

z10user4's advice in a previous post. I was in San Francisco for a couple days and briefly Seattle in transit. I didn't have cause to text or call but data worked perfectly this time! Very happy about this. Going to stick with PM for now.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jbtzhm wrote:

I suspect PM only agreed with AT&T or T-Mobile on 2G/3G network in their deal. 

@jbtzhm this is in no way correct.  I have used PM roaming in the US many times and got 4G/LTE the majority of the time (in: Seattle, Waikiki, Las Vegas, Manhattan).  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jbtzhm

That just kind prove my suspect. Because I never got 4G quality in any of the major cities in US.

T-Mobile has 4G LTE coverage.  I think AT&T has 4G LTE in most major cities and 3G in other areas.

jbtzhm

I am pretty sure it is not AT&T or T-Mobile coverage issue now. Because my friend is using the the same carrior with his phone and the network has no issue. I suspect PM only agreed with AT&T or T-Mobile on 2G/3G network in their deal. Has been using US roaming for serveral times. all big cities, none of them is working well.

bumblebee

Ha 🙂 If it resolves itself after a day or two that's fine, I almost never use text. Thanks for the info!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bumblebee wrote:

Oh interesting, thanks for the heads up. How do I fix it?

Yeah that would be helpful wouldn't it 🙂

If you don't think you'll need it while it's still valid then you could ask the moderators to remove the add-on for you. But they are very slow these days.

bumblebee

Oh interesting, thanks for the heads up. How do I fix it?

bumblebee

Thanks VinYVR and z10user5, I'll try manually connecting to AT&T next time.

It's odd though, in the past on US trips I've always got the T-Mobile tourist plan and found it great - never had problems with flaky data, including in Seattle. However this was a work trip where I didn't have time to find a T-Mobile store.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GinYVR wrote:

@bumblebeeT Mobile is equivalent to our Freedom.. works great in metro area but not great outside. I would recommend AT&T if possible as they offer larger coverage. However there is a bug with Public Mobile US Roaming in general, it seems you could loose a bit of connectivity while you are back in Canada.

For US, I just carry my US phone.. just way too much hassle with roaming.

Yes there is a bug. It's texting. The 11th day after purchasing, texting doesn't work. So yes bumblebee look for that when the 10 days are up. MMS works. Wifi/data texting apps would work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bumblebee wrote:

It selected T-Mobile automatically but connectivity was terrible, it would just come and go.

I would have tried manually connecting to AT&T. All providers have different signal strengths in different areas.

@bumblebeeT Mobile is equivalent to our Freedom.. works great in metro area but not great outside. I would recommend AT&T if possible as they offer larger coverage. However there is a bug with Public Mobile US Roaming in general, it seems you could loose a bit of connectivity while you are back in Canada.

For US, I just carry my US phone.. just way too much hassle with roaming.

bumblebee

I was in Seattle for a couple days this week and tried the US roaming add-on (talk, text and 250MB data). I didn't use the first two, though I confirmed that text was working by sending myself a text. I was hoping to use data but it was terrible. It selected T-Mobile automatically but connectivity was terrible, it would just come and go. Nothing would load for ages and I'd give up, then a while later a bunch of nofications would come in at once when it reconnected. Very frustrating. There was no obvious reason for it as I was right in the heart of Seattle but not in an area with high buildings. I verified my data settings are correct according to the guide on this site.

Is this typical, or does data roaming work ok for most users? Roaming was my only reason for switching to PM from Speakout so if it doesn't work I think I'll just have to give in and join one of the bigger networks. It's annoying because I barely use my phone, I just need it to work reliably when I do.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jbtzhm wrote:

have tried to use at&t only for several days.  still very horrible coverage.  I think pm need serious improvement for us roaming.  yesterday in Princeton, my phone can't send out even one im msg out.  really frustrating service. 

@jbtzhm Public Mobile has no control over their partners' (AT&T and T-Mo) networks.  It can be challenging in dense urban US areas with tons of tall dense building (e.g. Manhattan!).  That said, I was there in Feb of this year and didn't run into too many issues.  Maybe try forcing your phone to T-Mobile for a bit to see if it's any better for you?  I'm not sure if @GinYVR was speaking from personal experience in the areas you're frequenting or not, but I would think in the major urban centres you're about as likely to get a good signal with T-Mo vs. with AT&T.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jbtzhm
Spoiler

have tried to use at&t only for several days.  still very horrible coverage.  I think pm need serious improvement for us roaming.  yesterday in Princeton, my phone can't send out even one im msg out.  really frustrating service. 

jbtzhm

not the case.  lte is always enabled. 

But thanks for the reply. 

Enable LTE also, you may get better service.  It sounds like you’ve forced off LTE.

jbtzhm

Thanks a lot.  I will try. 

@jbtzhm Look under Network & Internet -> Mobile Network -> under Advanced should have what you need.

jbtzhm

It is android 9

@jbtzhmIt depends on your phone.. usually it is under cellular settings.

jbtzhm

google to know that.  I think you are right at&t commonly offer 3g.  But how to manyllly set to forbit T-Mobile?

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@jbtzhmUS Roaming can default to 2 providers AT&T / TMobile.. I would suggest only select AT&T.. as TMobile's infrastructure is not as dense and robust.

Need Help? Let's chat.