cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what are PM promos actually tied to?

_Daniel_
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

is it:

1) registering/activating a new SIM/account?

2) selecting/activating a month of service/plan?

the reason I'm asking is that in other areas of the forum it sounds like existing PM users are able to take advantage of new promos, and I'd like to understand how to do that.

here is my scenario. i registered my new PM account/SIM just last month (mid dec 2020) before knowing there were PM promos... or that i could have even made a community account as a non-customer. so i missed registering my email before activating and selecting my plan, on autopay... and missed the current promo.

if timing worked in my favour down the road... could I in theory...

1) see a future promo i like

2) register my email for the promo

3) come off autopay... i.e. no recurring plan

4) activate the new plan matching the promo (activating = selecting a plan to pay for?)

5) receive the promo

6) re-enable autopay (may happen in #4)

7) return to step 1

would that work? would the original plan's end date need to be inside the promo window for the new plan activation to kick in the promo... or would selecting the plan within the promo window just append the new plan to the end of your existing cycle?

9 REPLIES 9

_Daniel_

thanks for the feedback @stevenanto 

when i first discovered public mobile last Nov, it was in an article at whistleout

the most important detail in that article for me being the "breakdown" of the "big three" networks/carriers into their 4G and 3G subsidiaries...

• Bell owns Virgin Mobile and Lucky Mobile
  • Rogers Wireless owns Fido and Chatr
  • Telus Mobility owns Koodo and Public Mobile

sub-1Gb of 3G data and the Telus network where enough to steer me towards Public Mobile... and $15-$25/mo (before autopay discount) plan options were enough to end my search.

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@_Daniel_ There are many companies similar to PM. Depending where you are located. But they are all part of the bigger companies. There is fizz, lucky, Koodo, don’t know what happened to solo. 

_Daniel_

thanks for the reply @stevenanto 👍

it was crazy timing... but i had my first friend referral before i ordered my PM sim. a friend was over talking about how their contract was coming to a close and that they wished there were less data heavy plans out there. i regurgitated the two bottom end PM plans i was considering and they decided to convert with me on the spot! boom, instant referral 😂

I'm very glad i found the whistleout post that properly explained the multi-tiered options underneath the "big 3"... had never heard of PM prior to reading that article.

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@_Daniel_ PM has deals or promos usually around Christmas time every year, usually in the form of extra data and minutes. These are all great on top of their rock bottom prices 

if it is more discounts that you seek you can give your referral number to others who are thinking of switching and you get a reduction of 1$ per month per person who uses it. Also the longer you are a PM customer you save 1$ per month per year you’re with them. 

Then on top of all that you can earn credits by helping others in this community forum. 

PM is tough to beat, happy that there is a phone company like them and not having to call ever so often because they charged you extra for no reason or that you have to fight to get a slight reduction because another cmompany has your exact plan for less. 

@_Daniel_ 

Take the bull by its horns.....and take advantage of the rewards pm offers. Like you i cut my bill(s) in half just by switching ($40+$35=$75 to $28+$7=$35) then i went to work on learning all about pm by joining the community because i could barely turn on a smartphone! I was already sold on the business model and the plan prices so i just had to learn how it all worked so i could refer others and eventually help others as well.....I saved over $700 in my first year alone! Here's a link to the type of freebies a regular customer/community member can recieve......

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Considering-joining-motivate-me/m-p/6...

_Daniel_

Thank You for your detailed reply @darlicious!

For informational purposes, i did post to the "FLASH SALE: Get your second month FREE when you activate" thread hours after activating (almost immediately after setting up my community account and finding what I'd missed)... and then thought I'd get a MOD's second opinion within 24-48hrs when I opened Ticket ID:167959-343... and thankfully now this thread is giving me some ideas i can action.

This post is purely about me searching for knowledge... so that history does not repeat itself, that i understand the playing field, and have a better idea of what's possible going forward. I'd be lying if i said there wasn't a lingering bad taste with missing a great "new customer" promo, but i love the savings my $25/mo PM plan saves me over the prime/"big 3" $60+ plans i came from that have scads more data than this wifi user ever came close to using. i searched for canada-wide calling plans with sub 1GB data usage (to not waste money on bandwidth i never use) and was glad to find one with PM!

i appreciated hearing from @Hankdavid that there are promos from time to time for PM customers, so that is something to look forward too. i imagine much like the "more the merrier gifts" you mentioned that I did find and load!

I ported my pre-existing cell# and want to keep it going forward, so I don't think i'll entertain new SIM/Ph# ideas, although i do appreciate the knowledge share. i also appreciate your idea about adding a referral code after-the-fact and will pursue that. Many thanks!

@_Daniel_ 

Been there done that....ok it does totally suck that you activate, join the community and all of a sudden discover you could have saved this or got that. But you were happy enough with the prices to activate when you did?  You loaded the more the merrier gifts from pm?

There is one thing you can still add that i didnt figure out til it was way too late is a referral code. If you didnt have one when you activated you can ask the moderators to add one. Don't know anyone with one? Just private message another member maybe strike up a friendship or maybe not but you can ask for their referral code....they will be happy to provide it. Its up to you to ask privately because unsolicited codes or asking for one publicly in the community is against the T of S. 

Had you asked this question right after activating then maybe it would be worthwhile to reactivate but a few more stackable promos have passed now. If you were to do it now.....register a new email, acquire a new sim card either a cheap $2 one from CCS or a free one possibly from walmart etc.... activate as close to the deadline that coincides with your renewal of your current account.

Schedule your current account to change on its next renewal to the $15 plan. The day before renewal you suspend your plan using lost /stolen and do not unsuspend until you are ready to reactiivate that account on day 85 or so. You can still access voicemail as long as you call from a different phone number. Enjoy your promos and new number then when its time to unsuspend your other account you repeat the process but you will lose the 5gb data add on if you switch plans unless you have already consumed it. So the $25 plan may be best for the new account and be sure to refer yourself and maybe choose an alberta phone number so you only pay gst on your service.

Welcome to public mobile and the community and maybe welcome again?

Hankdavid
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Currently the only way to receive these new promotions is if you activate a new line with a brand new Sim card and phone number however there have been recently and the past during the holiday season some promotions that are available for current customers.  These may include for example free international long distance add-ons and free data add one as well.  These are all over month-to-month as long as they’re not used and are available for all customers currently as long as it’s within the promotional date however many of these new promotions for example getting a second month free are only available to new customers. However you could always refer friends to receive additional discounts monthly. 

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

No that wouldn't work.

Promotions are for new customers with a new sim card activation period.

Need Help? Let's chat.