cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what am I missing here? 8GB for $50 vs 18+1.5GB for $150

pjstock
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm up for renewal and while I would normally just roll over my current 90 day plan (18+1.5GB at 3G for $150 for 90 days) I see there is a one month plan offering 8GB (3G) for just $50. all the other calling and text features are the same. (I find 3G speed perfectly adequate for anything I am doing.)

I'll never use 8GB of data in a month, but it seems that by rolling this plan over each of 2 successive months I would effectively be getting 3 x 8GB = 24GB foir $150.

but what's the catch?

That in one month I find the 8GB Plan is no longer available? for how long does PM have to honour a plan (or can they just eliminate it at any time.)?

8 REPLIES 8

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mimmo wrote:

@pjstock how much data do you typically use a month or .during a 90 day cycle.    No need to over buy just as an insurance.  If you typically use less than 6gb /month then I would opt for the 6gb for  45$.

@pjstock

If you run out of 6GB data a few days before your next renewal date, you can renew early and your next renewal date will be 30 days from your early renewal date.  

If you used all 6GB data 15 days after renewal, you need to get a plan with more data bucket.

@mimmo wrote:

@pjstock how much data do you typically use a month or .during a 90 day cycle.    No need to over buy just as an insurance.  If you typically use less than 6gb /month then I would opt for the 6gb for  45$.

This would be the sensible consideration since there is savings in the switch.  An average of 6GB per 30 days is much more flexible than 6GB per 30 days.  A little bit of care is needed in this decision.  I burned half my 12GB is a couple of weeks.  But because I only typically use under 3GB per 30 days, I might be able to limp to renewal without having to dip into the data add-on.

mimmo

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@pjstock wrote:

I'm up for renewal and while I would normally just roll over my current 90 day plan (18+1.5GB at 3G for $150 for 90 days) I see there is a one month plan offering 8GB (3G) for just $50. all the other calling and text features are the same. (I find 3G speed perfectly adequate for anything I am doing.)

I'll never use 8GB of data in a month, but it seems that by rolling this plan over each of 2 successive months I would effectively be getting 3 x 8GB = 24GB foir $150.

but what's the catch?

That in one month I find the 8GB Plan is no longer available? for how long does PM have to honour a plan (or can they just eliminate it at any time.)?

Whether or not that promotion is still offered, if you have chosen it you will still be able to renew that same plan until you switch plans. At that point you will not be able to go back to the plan that is no longer offered. 

Hope that answers your question.

If either response to your particular request leads to the resolution of your issue , please help other community members by marking that post as the solution. Thank You

Gonzo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think the catch is that you have 30 days to use up 8 GB, and any leftover is gone when the plan renews, whereas on a 90 day plan, you don’t have to have consistent useage to get your money’s worth. Of course, since as you say, you would never use 8GB in a month, it’s not a problem. Someone who used heavy data one month, say 10 GB, and less another, 500mb, might be better off with the 90 day plan, since in effect it averages out data use. Just a thought.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@pjstock, yes, that 8GB offer is a promo.  It is currently listed as a limited time offer.

It could be gone in as little as 5 minutes.  Act if you want it.

Other than the data increase, the US calling maybe extra, as I do not recall the 90-day cycle having the US included at one point if it does now.

Benefit of increased data allowance, and easier equal payments of $50 vs $150 for the 90-day cycle.

mimmo

No catch.  The offer is open to anyone. You can future date the plan change to take place on next renewal . 

Pm can change price of plan with 30 days notice as with all plans.

If this new plan suits you better than go for it.

Need Help? Let's chat.