cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vacation mode / travelling abraod

expiredyogurt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hi all, 

I will be travelling abroad for a year for school in another country and I am wondering if there is a way I can suspend my number so I don't burn unnecessary money while I am away but I want to retain my number when I come back.

Is cancelling my plan is the only way to go if I absolutely don't want to pay or switch to a cheaper plan ?

4 REPLIES 4

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

For a complete rundown of options and implications, please read the following:

When and How to Suspend or Place an account on Hold (Extended absence, etc)

The short of it in your case is that you will need to spend something somehow if your intention is to preserve your tel #. The cheapest way with PM is to allow your current plan to be suspended at the end of its cycle. Then just before the account is completely deactivated (90 days from the days the plan is suspended, miuns a day or 2 to be safe) you will need to spend 3 x $10 (total $30) to activate and suspend your phone to stretch out out another 120 days x 3 for a total of a max of 90 + 360 = 450 days. But upon your return at around 365ish days, you can decide to switch your plan to whatever is available in market. 

Porting your tel # out to some other service may save you a bit more. 

Otherwise, letting your plan cancel out is the only way to not spend anything.

@Lieux wrote:

@expiredyogurt wrote:

hi all, 

I will be travelling abroad for a year for school in another country and I am wondering if there is a way I can suspend my number so I don't burn unnecessary money while I am away but I want to retain my number when I come back.

Is cancelling my plan is the only way to go if I absolutely don't want to pay or switch to a cheaper plan ?

Unfortunately for 1 year.... there is no way to keep your phone number with public mobile except to pay for a 10$ plan. 

The $10 plan could be deliberately paid late to minimize the amount spent on the plan. The account can't be in suspended status for more than 89 days.  Unfortunately, there are cheaper options elswhere to keep a phone number.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@expiredyogurt No Talk, No Text, No Data is $10/month, if you don't want any rigmarole and optimize on convenience.

However if you want to optimize on saving, you can port out ot a different service eg SpeakoutWireless which you can put $20 and it is good for 1 year. Just remember you have to spend money on new SIM cards.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@expiredyogurt wrote:

hi all, 

Unfortunately for 1 year.... there is no way to keep your phone number with public mobile except to pay for a 10$ plan. 

Need Help? Let's chat.