cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usage wrong in overview compared to usage history

Robert5
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

My son's phone is constantly running out of data. I assumed it was him, and would buy addons.

The last addon i bought was 200 megs - on Oct 8.

The overview shows 195/200 used.

However in the history - he has only used 159 megs.

How can this be? I knew he hadn't used that much - he was home sick for a portion.

What can I do to correct this? Is there a way another phone is getting his data?
Any help appreciated!

15 REPLIES 15

@Robert5 wrote:

FYI he has an iPhone 7.

Ensure wifi assist is OFF, otherwise cellular data may be used even while connected to wifi. In future don't buy data add-ons, but renew his plan early as that's usually cheaper. Unfortunately though, you must contact the moderators, after making a manual payment for the plan, to do that.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

200MB is so little data, that the data usage of 195MB is probably accurate. It's possible that the summary is updated more quickly than the specific details. I can actually use 200MB in one day just reading messages on the Community site, never mind any video, audio, or picture intensive websites.

@Robert5 the part I bolded in @computergeek541 's reply above is probably the explanation for the discrepency.  The Overview page shows your updated usage in real-time or very near to real-time, while the Usage History page is only updated very 12 hours.  Thus, unless you've used zero data since hte last time the Usage History was posted, the Overview page will always show more used at any given time.

@Robert5 wrote:

FYI he has an iPhone 7.

You may want to double-check that the Wi-Fi Assist feature is turned off as well.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Robert5 wrote:

FYI he has an iPhone 7.

@Robert5, while the data usage meter on the Overview page is accurate and real-time, note that the Usage History is delayed for data usage, by as much as 12 hours.

Definitely use the iPhone's cellular data counters as well, to isolate the offending app(s), and disable cellular data for those apps if applicable:
Settings --> Cellular --> scroll down to CELLULAR DATA to see what Current Period usage is (this will only be particularly useful if you reset the counters when new add-ons are added, or a new billing cycle starts). Also review each app and its cellular data usage during the period (pretty easy since these are listed in descending order with highest data user at the top). If you want to reset counters, scroll to the very bottom of this list and tap on "Reset Statistics" (before doing so, you can also see when the last reset was made).

Robert5

FYI he has an iPhone 7.

Robert5

Thanks all - I will try hhim on $40/month 5 gigs and see if I can narrow this down. I wanted to keep it lower for now as he doesnt use it that much - and yes tracking this down is relevant for me as I don't want to keep having to pay for these addons etc.

I will also look at his phone to see if there is something set to use data when on wifi - because this was the case one day for sure.

Thanks.

Rob

@Luddite wrote:

@totalUser Seems like waaay too much effort to track down 40 meg discrepancy. That much can be used in 1 speed test.

I agree it is

But if this is constantly happening and op believes that they are always shorted it may be worth it.

Rascal1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have heard of this on contracts but not pay as you go, maybe you're on to something for others to watch out for.

@totalUser Seems like waaay too much effort to track down 40 meg discrepancy. That much can be used in 1 speed test.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Robert5 

If I was in the situation I would go through the usage history in your son's self-serve and add everything during that add-on use. It will take done time to brows through the history but may be worth it so you have it settled. If there is a discrepancy contact the moderators.

In either case there are some really good suggestions above to minimize data loss.

Check that the phone is not boosting weak WiFi signal.

Check that the phone is not giving sweet hotspot to neighbours.

Restrict background data.

Consider upgrading if he's using a lot. I'm not sure what plan you are one, but for those that need more than 10g, that new 12.5gig for 60 is great deal. I personally find 5g for 40 great for regular users. If he's on 25 it's only half the price of 1g add-on to have 4g more. If he's already on 40 than it's just price of 200m add-on to have 2.5g more. If he's already on 50, then again for the price of 200m add-on he gets 4gigs more.

@Robert5 wrote:

Hi,

My son's phone is constantly running out of data. I assumed it was him, and would buy addons.

The last addon i bought was 200 megs - on Oct 8.

The overview shows 195/200 used.

However in the history - he has only used 159 megs.

How can this be? I knew he hadn't used that much - he was home sick for a portion.

What can I do to correct this? Is there a way another phone is getting his data?
Any help appreciated!

200MB is so little data, that the data usage of 195MB is probably accurate. It's possible that the summary is updated more quickly than the specific details. I can actually use 200MB in one day just reading messages on the Community site, never mind any video, audio, or picture intensive websites.

Master2001
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Make sure you configure auto update on Wi-Fi only.
Disable background data for all applications.

Enable DATA only when you need it, keep data off by default.
If I leave data ON all time, without using any applications, my phone use at least 300mb/month.
I use a shortcut "MZ Mobile Data Switch" to access DATA switch rapidly.

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Robert5  You might also want to check the phone to see if any background apps are using data.

kerago
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The thing is those usage calculators are not always the accurate. It really depends on what you son did with his phone and not how long he used it. Could he accidentally watched a movie or downloaded something while his wifi was off?? happened to me few times...

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Robert5 

PM data tracker is usually fairly accurate.  200 MB can be used fairly quickly.  Unless he turned on his hotspot, there usually is no way another phone can use his data. 

You probably should buy a more expensive plan to cover the data use.  Buying add ons is an expensive way to top.  

$15 plan - 250 mb data

$25 plan - 1 GB

$40 plan - 5 GB

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Robert5  what kind of phone 

Need Help? Let's chat.