cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

traveling to Ecuador , what plan do I need to buy to call to Canada from there

laurent2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am travelling to Ecuador in 5 days . What plan do I need to buy to make call to Canada from Ecuador . Thanks 

12 REPLIES 12

@srlawren wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@laurent2There are no roaming plans at public mobile other than for the US. You would have to get a local sim or buy one from Amazon.

@darlicious with so few days, buying from Amazon may be risky (SIM may not arrive in time)

You're right @srlawren, with New years in there 5 days is a short time. 

@laurent2 , you should know, if you decide to purchase a sim locally, Equador is careful (learned through Google search) to avoid selling sims to people who do not have a local address. However, it does say some stores are willing to sell to outsiders. So if you really want one, you'll be able to get one.

The airport is probably not the best place to purchase it though in this case. Just friendly, uneducated advice! Good luck in Equador!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious wrote:

@laurent2There are no roaming plans at public mobile other than for the US. You would have to get a local sim or buy one from Amazon.

@darlicious with so few days, buying from Amazon may be risky (SIM may not arrive in time)

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

marimacas
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Purchase local data SIM (or use free Wi-fi) and connect video/voice call App such as Facebook messenger, Google hangouts, Viber and Line. Between iPhone user, facetime will be handy.

@laurent2  Here's an example of what's available for sale locally....valid for 365 days.

Screenshot_20191229-215806_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20191229-220112_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20191229-220246_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20191229-221839_Chrome.jpg

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ChuckYeah wrote:

Here's one, but I'd do some research before purchasing:

https://www.amazon.ca/FLEXIROAM-Global-Data-Travel-SIM/dp/B07CMKZLQ6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=flexiroam&q...

Another option is to buy one in the airport, again not sure about Equador.

Just a reminder. If you buy a Sim for use in Ecuador .....make sure your phone is unlocked. 

This is a great idea. @mimmo @laurent2 

@mimmo wrote:

You can either buy a local sim card

Or install a VoIP app like fongo.com and call while on wifi.

You can even forward your calls to the fongo number. This needs to be done before leaving canada.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

You can either buy a local sim card

Or install a VoIP app like fongo.com and call while on wifi.

You can even forward your calls to the fongo number. This needs to be done before leaving canada.

Here's one, but I'd do some research before purchasing:

https://www.amazon.ca/FLEXIROAM-Global-Data-Travel-SIM/dp/B07CMKZLQ6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=flexiroam&q...

Another option is to buy one in the airport, again not sure about Equador.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@laurent2 wrote:

I am travelling to Ecuador in 5 days . What plan do I need to buy to make call to Canada from Ecuador . Thanks 

It won't work there.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

PM doesn't offer a roaming plan outside of the US, Get a local sim. There are lots available on Amazon, not sure about Equador???

Anonymous
Not applicable

@laurent2 wrote:

PM has no roaming agreements in Ecuador so nothing for you from PM.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.