cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

top up/plan change

evevvren
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey guys!

Is there a way to change my plan before the next renewal date to increase from the 5gb to 6.5gb (it's only a $3 increase) and I would like to do that instead of waiting until my next bill which is in like 2 weeks, as it makes more sense to do this than to pay the $15 for 1gb. 

Does anyone know if this is possible? I see a button that says "top up your account", is that what this means?

12 REPLIES 12

@alexbel Any time an immediate plan change or early renewal is done, you will lose any remaining time and money spent on the plan that you're leaving behind.

alexbel

I think I screwed that up when I was a new user. I had the 90 day plans at the time too, so I think I might have chosen to switch the plan now, way before the 90 day was up when I ran out of data, without realizing that I would lose time on the remaning portion of the 90 day plan that I already paid for. I feel like I might have done that a couple times. Would have been about 2 years ago though and I think I can only go back 6 months in payment history in my account on here. No way to go back further than 6 months, right? I think probably only way is to check my credit card bill.

@Shawn79 wrote:

Go to change my plan. It will ask you change right away or next billing cycle

This information was already provided several hours ago. When replying, please try to first look through a thread. Often, someone else will have already had similar thoughts on a topic.

Shawn79

Go to change my plan. It will ask you change right away or next billing cycle

Shawn79

Yes I do believe so

@evevvren wrote:

Ah okie, so I am effectively paying 2 bills for one month instead of just the $15 dollars for the gig?

Well not quite because your renewal date will be reset for 30 days into the future when you do an instant plan change. You said you were about two weeks into your current 30 day term so an instant plan change will toss what’s left of the old plan and start the new $45 / 30 day plan.

Best to go as long as possible until you run out of data and then decide what to do. That way you use all the data you are paying for and can decide whether an instant plan change then versus a $15 1 Gb add-on is your best move. Remember that if you only use half the 1 Gb add-on the rest sits in the background in case you need it in the future so that is worth something as an insurance policy.

AE_Collector

@evevvren 

So I think @Jb456 and @Triguy have made it clear that by changing now your 30 day cycle starts anew. The reason for doing this is to get more data....calls and texts remain the same. So look at it this way......

1. $40/5gb÷30 days=$1.33 per day (5gb=5120mb) 5120÷15=341.33 usage per day
  2. $40/5gb+$15/1gb=$55÷30 days=$1.83 per day (1gb=1024mb)1024÷15=68.26 p/day
  3. $40/5gb+$45/6.5gb=$85÷45 days=$1.88 per day (6.5gb=6656mb)÷30=221.86 p/day
  4. $40/5gb+$50/8.5gb=$90÷45 days=$2 per day (8.5gb=8704mb)÷30=290.13 p/day

Your data usage per day has been 341.33mb per day. Based on that usage 341.33mb×30 days =10239mb per cycle about 10gb. If you are not using your data saver and restricting all background data doing so will save you approximately 25% of your data usage. 25% of 341.33mb=85.33mb 85.33mb×30days=2559.975mb saved over 30 days (about 2.5gb) That would make your 30 day data needs at 7.5gb making the $50/8.5gb plan the best plan for your data needs atm. Using data saving 341.33 - 85.33mb=256mb per day needed.

1. $50/8.5gb÷30 days=$1.66 per day
  2. $45/6.5gb÷30days=$1.50 per day

Changing your plan now although it seems to be paying twice for service  but once averaged over 45 days of service you will pay $0.55 to $0.67 per day more to continue get the amount of data you have been using but once you settle into a higher data plan on the 30 day cycle it will be $0.33 to $0.47 more per day. But these are based on $40/5gb per 30 days If you base it on 15 days with 5gb used you currently are paying $2.66 per day for data. Changing your plan now saves $0.66 per day (45 days) and once on a 30 day cycle/$50/8.5gb saves $1 per day.

Keep in mind once you change from the current $40/5gb plan you will not get it back as its been replaced by the $40/4.5gb plan. Consider your options carefully before changing.

@evevvren 

Well you would essentially be paying the new plan today. So all the unused days on old plan you loose and system will start a new payment due date from today if you change plans. So if you change plans today than your next payment due date would be 30 days from now.

I hope that makes sense to you.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Top up means to make manual payment.  You can change your plan immediately but you would lose any unused minutes or texts or data.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/change-your-plan

evevvren

Ah okie, so I am effectively paying 2 bills for one month instead of just the $15 dollars for the gig?

Thank you so much!

evevvren
CURRENT PLAN
$40 per 30 Days
  • This plan includes:
  • 5GB at 3G Speed
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text

NEW PLAN
$45 per 30 Days

New Plan Details:
  • $43/30 days with a $2 AutoPay reward activated (Reg Price $45)
  • 30-day plan
  • 6GB of data at 3G speed4
  • Bonus 500MB with AutoPay
  • Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging3
  • Voicemail and Call Display

Does it make sense to upgrade now instead of my next billing cycle and will it just charge me the difference, or am I essentially paying twice for one month if I do this?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

You sure can but important note. If you change plan immediately than you're charged right away, new plan starts and no refunds on unused days from old plan.

If you don't have the funds to cover new plan. It will say top up now. So just add the funds to your account first and you will see change now.

The other option is change at next renewal.

Screenshot_20200130_023658.jpg

Need Help? Let's chat.