cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

texting to enter contests

pardnme
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I always hear those contests on the radio that say to text in, but charges may apply.

how does it work being on public mobile?  

are those texts free?

do they not go through?

6 REPLIES 6

thomask
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Well, it’s NEVER a good idea to text (back or to) “random” numbers.

I’ve texted Shell (gas station) for air miles bonuses and never had a problem with an sort of charges...

pardnme
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

awesome! 

I always thought even though text messaging was included....you would normally be charged 'extra' for messages to random numbers...

thanks everybody!

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@pardnme wrote:

Hi,

I always hear those contests on the radio that say to text in, but charges may apply.

are those texts free?

do they not go through?

@pardnme 

If you read the rules of SMS sweepstakes, you might see a line that says something like: "standard text message rates apply." These are the fees you pay your mobile provider to send or receive SMS messages. In PM's case not an issue because it's prepaid.

Premium text message charges are fees that are charged by the SMS sweepstakes' sponsors to contact them by text message. Premium text message fees are charged in addition to the standard messaging fees a mobile provider may apply, and they can be fairly hefty. Premium text message charges are often used to sell you for things like ringtones or subscriptions. When it comes to sweepstakes, premium fees are usually a one-time charge for entering.

My understanding is that because PM is a prepaid service  Premium text message charges are not allowed so it won't be an issue. Tier 1 & 2 providers might be an issue.

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There are NO charges if text messaging is within of your plan.

There a people whom only have a basic plan, which does not include text/data and they would charged for sending a text message.

With PM you don't have to worry, as it's pre-paid; you can't be charged anymore than your monthly payment.  If you don't qualify for the "text" message; it just won't go through.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

There's no other costs from Public Mobile for texts sent or recieved, once your plan is Active with texting included.

duffer900
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@pardnme wrote:

Hi,

are those texts free?

do they not go through?

If you have a text plan for unlimited texting, it won't cost you anything. They are saying that in case people have pay per use, or have hit their limit (50 outgoing for example) of texts. Then charges could apply...

It is a regular text. 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.