text and voice only plan

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

hi would like to refer a friend, to Public mobile. comparing PM to chattr

Chattr offering unlimited provincial talk  and 100 text for $25/month

the best  I ca find with PM are:

Province wide, No text =(76-6)/3= $23.33/month

Province Wide global text = (106-6)/3=$33.3/month

is there a sms addon I can get with just the voice plan. 

Can PM match Chattr,  or will they offer something similar in the future?

thanks

dom

7 REPLIES 7

srlawren

@makkahn28 I did neglect to mention the zones.  Those are single-handledly what kept me from trying several cheaper alternatives over the years, as any time I looked at a map, there were areas I would go through daily that were outsize the home zones, and it would have added up quickly!  That said, I beleive some of those providers give you monthly "credits" (up to $10/month?) toward the overages outside of home zone, which for many folks would many little to no actual extra cost.  And for some people, depending where they live, work, and go regularly, the home zones may cover them sufficiently. 

But yes, for me personally, they were a big deterrent!  Everyone's mileage may vary.  😉

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren, you forgot to add: Chatr has, Like how PM CDMA and Wind and Mobi had, Zones, and ONLY within those zones do you get your Unlim Talk and Txt + Data before throttling.

srlawren

Hi @mimmo, welcome to the Public Mobile community!

You are essentially correct, those two options are the closest your friend can choose with Public Mobile. At least your friend would not be limited to 100 text messages (it's unlimtied at PM), but the cost is a bit higher vs. their current Chatr plan.

One small point of the "monthly" pricing: as 90 days isn't preciely 3 calendar months, I like to use this calculation:  90-day plan cost / 90 * 365 / 12.   So for the texting option @ $106/90 (I assume you're deducting $6 for auto pay?), it would be $103 / 90 = $1.1444444 per day * 365 = $417.722222 per year / 12 = $34.81 per calendar month.  This is a more accurate comparision number vs. the monthly costs at other carriers, as they use a calendar month for their cycles.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@mimmo If she is willing to switch to voip for calling, she could get unlimited Cnada wide calling and texting with some data left over by following this idea: 90 day $90 plan replacement.

Good luck.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes, as @etsat mentions, the big savings with PM come when you combine all 3 talk, text and data, and unfortunately PM took away the low data usage plan.

You can use autopay to bring the PM cost down a bit, but in your friend's situation PM does not have anything to compete.

PM plans are fixed and they will not match the price offered to you by other carrier. 

PM doesn't offer text add-on. 

etsat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't believe there's a texting add-on. It's either unlimited global text or no text at all, and I don't believe PM does price matches. Also, you don't really save that much money by using only one or two of Talk/Text/Data from PM's plans, as a lot of the savings comes from taking all 3.

Need Help? Let's chat.