cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surprise U.S. texting

cjcookcross
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My son and I entered the U.S. today without having bought any U.S. add ons. He got a text and noticed that both our phones say we are on the T-mobile network. He's been able to send and receive texts tonight. (I haven't tried on my phone.) 

We both have autopay on my credit card. He has no balance in his account and I have $10. 

I've seen over and over on PM that there are no surprise charges and there is no way to go over on data or texts because they'll just stop working. 

Should I let him enjoy this texting as long as it lasts, or is my credit card going to be charged some crazy fees for his totally unnecessary conversations with friends in Canada?

7 REPLIES 7

@bhavpate4 wrote:

you should not be charged as it is prepaid and it only goes up to what you have on limit unlike post paid account you will be charged. it is also normal for you to get message that it is connected to foreign network which is common for all carrier.  even if you are charged it wont go above your limit plus you cant call unless you add on .

enjoy!!

The limit for usage charges is $0.  There shouldn't be any uncertaintly here.  There will be no charge.

@cjcookcross, there is an option via that text message to connect via phone (possibly via *611), and have the IVR allow for an addon to be applied if the PIN is known, and the credit card is registered.  This is what *may* have happened on your son's phone.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@cjcookcross wrote:

My son and I entered the U.S. today without having bought any U.S. add ons. He got a text and noticed that both our phones say we are on the T-mobile network. He's been able to send and receive texts tonight. (I haven't tried on my phone.) 

We both have autopay on my credit card. He has no balance in his account and I have $10. 

I've seen over and over on PM that there are no surprise charges and there is no way to go over on data or texts because they'll just stop working. 

Should I let him enjoy this texting as long as it lasts, or is my credit card going to be charged some crazy fees for his totally unnecessary conversations with friends in Canada?

@cjcookcross Let him enjoy it. With Public Mobile if something that you haven't paid for works it's called a bonus.

bravo_md
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Public Mobile is a prepaid service,  so there are no overage charges!  DON'T WORRY about a thing.

bhavpate4
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

you should not be charged as it is prepaid and it only goes up to what you have on limit unlike post paid account you will be charged. it is also normal for you to get message that it is connected to foreign network which is common for all carrier.  even if you are charged it wont go above your limit plus you cant call unless you add on .

enjoy!!

@cjcookcross 

Most PM customers will receive texts at no cost in the US.  Usually, unable to send texts without roaming packages.  

No overages or surprise charge with PM, so enjoy the free texting for now.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@cjcookcross wrote:

You or him won't be charged anything more than you already have. Enjoy it while it's there. !

I've heard of recieveing texts while there but never send as well. Maybe he's sending iMessage with wifi.

Need Help? Let's chat.