cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

signed up for $15 plan; but not quite as described!

Robertk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just signed up today for the $15 plan. I was NOT expecting to receive the 250MB data bonus that is granted with autopay signup because I didn’t sign up for it. I want to give the phone to my son and he’s not quite ready for data yet! I had to burn through the data before giving him the phone. Can the 250MB be removed going forward? Or better yet, can I sign up for autopay WITHOUT receiving the data bonus?

25 REPLIES 25

@benfatto 

It's not official but that data is on that plan period....autopay really is only the $2 reward. All plans are programmed this way. Otherwise the data if purchased as an add on....on a no data plan would have to be full 4G speed.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Robertk wrote:

I don’t want to block it at the phone level. My son can hack anything. I want it removed from the service!

You could just forgo $2 and turn off autopay.You could make a $45 payment every 3 months to save the aggro of doing it monthly.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@DOA wrote:

A parent doesn't want his kid to have data because they feel the kid isn't ready for it.

They clearly state they DIDN'T sign up for autopay because they DON'T want data.

They ask how they can achieve the no-data plan they expressly purchased.

Shouldn't members simply answer their question if they can, rather than go on for X pages questioning their rationale for not wanting their kid to have access to data?

I am in complete agreement here. Not a time to take personal shots at the Dad. Personally my sister ants to do the same thing. A good response is here is how you take data off your plan. And hope you have a great day! 🙂

Stay safe, stay wise, enjoy the day!

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

A parent doesn't want his kid to have data because they feel the kid isn't ready for it.

They clearly state they DIDN'T sign up for autopay because they DON'T want data.

They ask how they can achieve the no-data plan they expressly purchased.

Shouldn't members simply answer their question if they can, rather than go on for X pages questioning their rationale for not wanting their kid to have access to data?

zblackma

Good day @Robertk , to be on the safe side, give your son a phone with a single sim slot, keep the account in your name, and its very easy to burn through 250 mb of data. Also put a parental lock on the cell phone.

1. Here's how it can be done on an android phone https://www.wikihow.tech/Set-Up-Parental-Controls-in-Android
  2. iPhone https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201304

Hope this helps. Welcome to PM.

Pawprints1986

I wonder if you could set up a parent lock type thing where only certain sites/apps are allowed to be used? In your phones browser settings or maybe there's actually a parent profile and kids limited profile also available? My device calls this easy mode, it limits what can be done with it

Just ideas

@Anonymous 

A couple of months ago we had a similar question from an OP who ended up going with a different provider for his children. Since I had previously had a data block when I was with telus I took the time to message the mods and specifically ask....i was told because pm is prepaid service they don't possess this tool since its considered unnecessary since there is no overages or extra billing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So @Robertk : either you've got better things to do with your time than posting here or you're waiting for the moderators to get back to you...please update us if you contacted the mods and what they had to say.

I hadn't recalled that a (important word) moderator had said no way to remove data as darlicious has said. Sometimes some moderators have different answers.

@Robertk  Your only choice is to run the data out at renewal. There's probably an app that can run thru the data pretty quick as a few people have discovered having an app can burn thru 5gb in a day r so....or download a bunch of HD cat videos....

Public mobile cannot put a data block on the account (already confirmed by a moderator) and despite it being called an autopay bonus the 250mb of data is tied to the account not the autopay.

Is there not a game or show that your son enjoys that you approve of that you could download each month at renewal that will use up the data?

sunflowershine

@Robertk I don't think your son will use a lot on the monthly plan. You may think about having "Speakout" that you don't activate the data plan online. You just buy a prepaid voucher of at least $25 (that will good for a year). 

https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/plans

Take a look to see if it fits your situation. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Robertk 

What did you use to pay for your son's plan?

If you are paying by credit card online, PM server will default to autopay enabled.

You can disable autopay and leaving your cc info in your son';s account.

You can remove cc info.  250MB data will not be provided if your autopay is noit enabled.

Make sure to topup your son account before due date if you diabled autopay.

PM plan cycle is 30 days.  The due date changes depending on number of days in each month.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 wrote:

Don't play with APN settings. As MMS won't work if you do. You don't need data to send /receive MMS but data does need to be turned on.

2- Remove autopay and take the $2 hit per 30 days if you're that concerned about your son having data. Although the phone will have wifi so its not like you're stopping him from accessing the internet.

3-.. contact moderators to see if they can remove the data for you since you're on auto-pay. Two ways to reach them.

Actually, removing default from APN Type will stop familiar internet functions but leaving mms in will let mms work.

OP said he did not set up autopay.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Robertk  Best to ask the Moderator Team if it's possible to remove the data portion of the plan while Auto-Pay is enabled.

To submit a ticket to the Moderator Team, please start a conversation with the Public's virtual assistant, SIMon by clicking  here or the icon (bottom right of your screen).

s.JPG

If you are still having problems contacting Public Mobile then click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

Don't play with APN settings. As MMS won't work if you do. You don't need data to send /receive MMS but data does need to be turned on.

Your options are.

1- USE up the data at each renewal.

2- Remove autopay and take the $2 hit per 30 days if you're that concerned about your son having data. Although the phone will have wifi so its not like you're stopping him from accessing the internet.

3-.. contact moderators to see if they can remove the data for you since you're on auto-pay. Two ways to reach them.

-

Simon.JPG

Or private message them at link below

Click here 

Not sure how much trouble he could get into with a mere 250 mb of data. (Considering he could just connect to a wifi network)....once the data is used up it stoped completely. No overcharges if that is your concern. Only way for it to work after the 30 day data limit is used is if a data add-on is purchased.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping wrote:

@Robertk wrote:

I don’t want to block it at the phone level. My son can hack anything. I want it removed from the service!

Why are you worry about letting him to have 2509MB data?

PM is prepaid and does not have pay-per-use.  Therefore, after he used all 250MB data, data will stop working.  He may know how to dial 611 his phone to use your autopay cc to buy data add-on.  Please keep the account PIN# from him.

And since it's there anyway...may as well set up autopay and get the free 2 bucks off each renewal. Use a prepaid "credit" card gift card to limit your exposure if you wish. Johnny still needs a PIN to buy more data even if he drains that card into the account.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Robertk wrote:

Why are you worry about letting him to have 2509MB data?

PM is prepaid and does not have pay-per-use.  Therefore, after he used all 250MB data, data will stop working.  He may know how to dial 611 his phone to use your autopay cc to buy data add-on.  Please keep the account PIN# from him.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Robertk wrote:

If your son would like to send pictures through texting then I wonder that it might be that them removing data from the service might disable that. You can do MMS even without data on the account but this seems a little different. Dunno. 

Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team.

Click to get started.

This link will bring you in direct contact with a moderator that can remove the data. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Robertk

@Robertk 

REMOVE APN

google link to a youtube video about removing APN.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Robertk wrote:

I don’t understand. How do I remove it?

Is this an iPhone or an Android?

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Robertk my sister just had the exact same questioms because she is signing up her daughter and son. You can contact the moderators and ask them to stop the data on that line. 

Contact the moderators through the question mark bubble. 

enjoy being part of PM!

Robertk

I don’t understand. How do I remove it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Robertk wrote:

I just signed up today for the $15 plan.

As I had predicted. 🙂 Another little quirk in the system.

If you can edit the APN then remove default from APN Type and it won't use data. You could leave data on to do MMS but it won't use data.

fdrcamb519

I would say the data is a nice option to have its included, why don't you just keep it off. In the future if you needed.

Need Help? Let's chat.